Thai Credit Card

And wehn you do they give you a sh1tty credit level and often expect you to deposit cash to that limit as a guarantee their bank...

Speak for yourself. I got a Visa from HSBC in Thailand with a credit limit of 750k with no problems at all. I use it all the time and never have any issues. I also got an Amex Card within a week of applying; and I'm currently fielding marketing calls from Amex people trying to flog me their new platinum credit card.

No cash deposits, no hassle, no problem.

BENDIX - may I ask what line of business one is in and how long one has been in Thailand and you status here (i.e. what kind of visa are you on, do you own your own apartment)?

Please excuse me, but I'm curious to know how one got a rating that gave a spending power that puts you into the top 0.5% of credit cards limits. Not questioning you at all, Just very curious. I have been here 20 years (fully legal and all the rest of it) and have had the same limit on my Amex card since it was issued in 1991 - some 3 or 4 years after Amex started issuing cards in Thailand. I only use my Amex for one thing - buying diesel.

They keep badgering me to take more - couldn't be bothered, but nice to know its there if required. Problem with Amex is that come the bill at the end of the month you have to pay the hold lot back.

Master card and Visa - same story, I have had the same limit since year dot - and it's about half of what you have. Again couldnt be bothered really, as I always use my debt card first in Thailand and its seldom I use any of the cedit cards - except to purchase air tickets, pay hotel bills ect...

But safe or not? - I have never had a problem or an illegal purchase on any of my cards in 20 years in Thailand.

Tim

Edited by Maizefarmer

I would just like to add quickly that Visa Electron and Mastercard Electronic can be used for online purchases. It is at the discretion of the issuer (bank) to allow the card to be used online or not.

The difference between these "electronic use" cards is they need to be electronically authorized to allow the purchase. The issuer is able to electronically authorize transactions when they are done through a ATM/POS system, but not every issuer wish or equipped to electronically authorize online transactions - thus why not every Visa Electron or Mastercard Electronic can be used for online purchases.

A bit off topic but ... Does anyone know how getting a Thai credit card affects your credit rating back home (in my case, the US)? And, conversely, how does your credit rating back home affect your chances at getting a Thai credit card? In other words, do the Thai banks base your credit worthiness solely on your life here in Thailand?

I've checked out the expat requirements for a few banks here and typically they require:

1) Passport AND work permit

2) Letter from employer verifying income (minimums range from 600,000 to 1,000,000 Baht/year)

3) Bank statements showing balances for the the past 3 months

None ask for social security #, which I believe is what ties you to your credit report in the U.S.

I am able to provide all of the above documents, my salary is 960,000 B/yr, and I've been working here for a year and a half. HOWEVER, back in the U.S. I ran across some credit problems and am unable to qualify for credit cards there -- only VISA/MC branded debit cards connected to my US checking accounts.

Any thoughts as to what my chances are of getting a CC here?

My experience is limited to applying for credit cards in other countries, not Thailand. But they do not check your credit report in your home country. They are not setup for doing that. Now if you were applying for a Citibank card or an American Express card, they might check if you previously had one of their cards and if you had any problems in paying off those cards. In fact, Thailand American Express asks on their application if you've ever had an American Express card before. Though being you don't supply your SS number, don't see how they can verify for certain if you're the same person, afterall some people in the world are bound to have the same name and same birthday.

Thanks, Soju ... I guess I'll avoid Citibank and American Express, although I am a bit attracted to the miles-earning opportunity with the Royal Orchid Plus Amex card.

Edited by MisterRay22

I would just like to add quickly that Visa Electron and Mastercard Electronic can be used for online purchases. It is at the discretion of the issuer (bank) to allow the card to be used online or not.

The difference between these "electronic use" cards is they need to be electronically authorized to allow the purchase. The issuer is able to electronically authorize transactions when they are done through a ATM/POS system, but not every issuer wish or equipped to electronically authorize online transactions - thus why not every Visa Electron or Mastercard Electronic can be used for online purchases.

So which banks issue Visa Electron and Mastercard Electronic cards for online use? I don't work in Thailand so can't get a regular visa, mastercard, I don't want to borrow credit, just have a card that works when theres funds available in the account.

Also are these electron cards available to Thai's? weve tried many banks but they all say they can not be used online.

• 1 month later...
BENDIX - may I ask what line of business one is in and how long one has been in Thailand and you status here (i.e. what kind of visa are you on, do you own your own apartment)?

Please excuse me, but I'm curious to know how one got a rating that gave a spending power that puts you into the top 0.5% of credit cards limits. Not questioning you at all, Just very curious.

Sorry Maizefarmer, I only just noticed this.

I work for a law firm. No, I'm not a lawyer nor a partner - just a humble employee.

I've been in Thailand just over two years, although I've had that card and that credit limit for around 18 months from memory. I'm on a non-immigrant B visa, complete with work permit which has just been renewed up until October 2007. I dont own my own apartment (in Thailand, at least), but will be looking to buy here next year.

As I said, the credit limit is meaningless; I dont think I've ever let it get much past 50-60k without paying the bulk of it off.

Edited by bendix

Thai credit cards are great. The convenience far outweigh any perceived risks. Dealing with ATMs and thai bills and all that useless coin was getting to be a real pain. I hardly touch money now. Also I have already claimed some household products and a free hotel night from the bangkok banks thankyou points programs. Anyone know of thai credit card that gives you thai air / star alliance points?

I have an account with SCB, and was now told they issue international Debit cards. I Will try that way first.

I opened a savings account with Siam Commercial Bank (SCB) just over two years ago. At the same time they immediately issued me a "Hip Card" international Mastercard Electronic debit card (the card is purple). The card is not personalized but linked to your account. I believe I paid a 100 baht issuance fee and every year they ding me a 200 baht fee for the card. The expiration date on the card is 2014 so I will be holding onto it for a while. I have used the card within Thailand, in other Asian countries and the USA to make purchases (must be swiped electronically -- no manual purchases but can be used online). You can also make atm withdrawals in Thailand and internationally if the atm machine is on the Mastercard Cirrus network. ATM withdrawals are limited to 200,000 baht a day so no worries about being limited in getting cash. Since Thai banks issue accounts regionally there are small fees (20 baht) when using the card at atms outside of Bangkok, including Pattaya (if your account is based in Pattaya then you will pay fees at atms in Bangkok). There is also a fee of 100 baht for making international withdrawals.

So far I have been lucky and have had no fraud on the account, even though I use it extensively throughout Thailand when I go to LOS. I think the fact it is electronic and cannot be imprinted (card is flat) makes it less likely to be a target of fraud. Good rule of thumb is to keep the card in your sight as much as possible. I have dined at many restaurants in Bangkok where they take the card away from the table to run it in the machine and never had a problem with double charges, fradulent charges, etc.

SCB is a great bank and I am very happy with their service. They even have free Swiss Coffee from a Saeco Super Automatic Espresso Machine in the Siam Paragon branch.

Very nice details but I think the OP is about credit cards, not debit cards. The main purpose here is NOT to make any local purchases and/or withdrawals local or international. Debit cards in Thailand cannot be used manually, it has to be swiped. The OP mentioned using paypal, I suppose he wants to use it on the internet or online purchase, which a debit card doesn't offer. Kasikorn Bank offers debit card, but as mentioned by one of the posts, yes you can apply for a webcard. A webcard is like a credit card, though it just provides you with the details, not the exact card. It is link to your debit card so any purchases done with the webcard is immediately deducted to your debit card account. No fraudulent transactions had been detected for kasikorn cause everytime you use the card, you will be notified by sms.. not by emails.

What is visa purse, I see this advertised at my local 7-11?

AFAIK it is a stored value card, so like an e-purse where you load in value once, then can use it for smallish purchases and receive preferential rates for certain things.

True/7-11 and various other CP related businesses plus some others like RS Promotion are driving the thing, with the aim of developing a CRM program that lets them know their customers.

Mondex from 10-15 years ago was something along these sorts of lines I think.

Makes a lot of sense for the chunk of the population that shops at 7-11 and doesn't want to carry change around.

Would recommend people keep well away from scb atm cards, I had one go missing for 4 hours several months ago and 15 transactions were done purchasing goods at small shops around town.

They withdrew over 50000bt and the bank doesn't want to know anything about it.

I managed to get a security tape and copies of two transaction records and the bank wouldn't even look at them. The signature was not the same as mine and the name wasn't even spelt the same, as for having a security video showing that a thai was fraudulently using a Falangs card (my name is definatly not thai) they just didn't want to know. They havn't even had the decency to send letter explaining, their reasoning , after i had requested one.

So would recommend to all people keep well away from SCB.

So which banks issue Visa Electron and Mastercard Electronic cards for online use? I don't work in Thailand so can't get a regular visa, mastercard, I don't want to borrow credit, just have a card that works when theres funds available in the account.

Also are these electron cards available to Thai's? weve tried many banks but they all say they can not be used online.

I'm afraid I don't know for Thailand, but Kasikorn Bank offers a "Web Card" to their Internet Banking customers. It's a supplementary virtual visa card number that is tied to your savings/checking account. You can use that web card visa number for online purchases. It's exactly like a visa card, except it doesn't exist in plastic version.