Malaysia/khota Baharu

tragic hedgehog

Just got married. Both my wife and I like travelling by train. Thought we'd get the train down to Sungai Kolok and spend 4 or 5 days in Malaysia. Never been there. Are there any nice seaside places close to the border, is Kota Baharu okay?Is Malaysia expensive, any suggestions re. not too pricy accomodation (upto 1000 baht p/night) would be welcomed.

Thanks. :o

Congradulations!!!

Definitely go to Pulau Perhentian Besar, not Kecil ( no electricity during the day) you should be able to just catch the last few weeks of the season, before they shut up shop for the monsoon. The rooms are about 120 MYR with AC, about 1200 baht, but you may be able to haggle a bit. I was there 10 days ago and it was beautiful, perfect for a romantic honeymoon. The water is better than anywhere in Thailand and so is the snorkelling. Alternatively you could try upmarket Pulau Redang which should still be in your budget.

To get there you can catch a minibus from the border to Kuala Besut or Tok Bali, about 40 MYR each, to catch the boats which leave at 8.00 am. 10.30. am and every 2-3 hours until 3 pm I think.

I hope you have a good time

:o