cassava prices

ajm1943

In my area of Chayaphoum they don't test for starch but the price for tubors is now down to 2.15/kilo. Last year it was about 3.00. They cut 10% from those for supposed dirt content.

One of the reasons for a low price this year seems to be the lack of Chinese demand as they can buy cleaner better quality and cheaper from other countries. I have heard from multiple sources that some of the Thai exporters have been adding dirt thus shooting themselves in the foot. Classic Thai business strategy.

In my area of Chayaphoum they don't test for starch but the price for tubors is now down to 2.15/kilo. Last year it was about 3.00. They cut 10% from those for supposed dirt content.

One of the reasons for a low price this year seems to be the lack of Chinese demand as they can buy cleaner better quality and cheaper from other countries. I have heard from multiple sources that some of the Thai exporters have been adding dirt thus shooting themselves in the foot. Classic Thai business strategy.

We do not grow cassava ,but a lot is grown in this area,2-3 growers I have spoke to say the same thing ,low export market .

Here in Lopburi ,buyers are paying 1.75 Bart/kg, ,round here most is chipped and dried ,some is loaded on to trucks and taken to starch plants .

One time of day Thailand was the biggest suppler of cassava going to Europe via Rotterdam, for animal feed , how things change .

cheers for the info

• 4 months later...