Driving from Hat Yai to Surat Thani then Bangkok best route to take?

BillyBobzTeeth

Hello fellow Southerners,

Could you tell me your experiences of driving from Hat Yai to Surat Thani then onto Bangkok regards the safest route to take please.

Thinking of taking road 41 for the first part which seems to be the obvious choice and shortest route but what's that road like compared to road number 4?

I'm travelling with my wife and 8 my month old son so don't want to put them on dangerous roads and conditions if I can help it.

We fancy a bit of a road trip and a look around so not flying or taking the train this time. I'm only driving in daylight hours and we'll be stopping at a couple of places on the way.

Any advice appreciated thank you!

unless your driving a boat not so much choice its 41 and 4 both are suicidal roads as the only way to go .dont be under stress ! as you near Bangkok you have a lot of choice , personally i take 35 then join expressway to get out ASAP. 9 is the ring and busy although east side quieter as you have to pay .perhaps not bad to break journey in Hua hin , I happen to like the place . drive carefull ...drive DEFENSIVE !

Thanks for your reply.

Defensive driving I certainly will be, I'll take it a step further and make it a 4 second rule thumbsup.gif the wife has banned me from going over 80 km! Char char as they say smile.png

What time of day would you say the roads are at their quietest?

We plan on stopping in Hua Hin on the 2nd leg of the trip, ya right it's a lovely place.

unless your driving a boat not so much choice its 41 and 4 both are suicidal roads as the only way to go .dont be under stress ! as you near Bangkok you have a lot of choice , personally i take 35 then join expressway to get out ASAP. 9 is the ring and busy although east side quieter as you have to pay .perhaps not bad to break journey in Hua hin , I happen to like the place . drive carefull ...drive DEFENSIVE !

Hat Yai to Surat - I always use the costal road - the 408 - If you leave early enough you can fly it, to somewhere below Nakhon, for breakfast.

I hate the 4/41 it's got to be the worst road in Thailand, it's either trucks up your backside or high sided overloaded pickups sitting in the fast lane. The road is literally smashed to pieces in some points in Nakhon province, around Thung Song.

The 401 is Ok, there are some roadworks around Ranod where they are widening the road, but before and after some nice straight road.

Plenty of places to stop and eat, see the costal wind farm, drop into the coast to stop and stretch your legs.

Archived