Kindle book reader.

amdy2206

With a kindle you only get 6 inch screen. I was tempted but use my note 3 which has 5.7 screen.

You can get any tablet or even ipad or mini ipad and download the kindle app.

You can even get kindle app on your PC.

The app syncs your books and where you left off.

Don't feel constricted to a kindle machine.

If you have a smartphone try downloading the app now and have a look

dont buy one !!! i have had 3 in past 5-6 years and all have broken.

now i download the kindle app onto my smart phone ( samsung s4 ) and its great. go buy a kindle reader and you may as well throw your money away.honestly they are crap !!!

Indeed tablets can be used as readers and many people are more than satisfied using them but there are significant advantages to using a dedicated reader, especially if you like to read for fairly long periods perhaps exceeding ninety minutes at a time.

First of all is the display itself. E-readers have a static screen..it does not cycle or scan 50-60 times a second nor is it strongly backlit. This makes the reader display much easier on the eyes. With a tablet display, eye fatigue can be a problem.

The other big advantage is that readers are generally much lighter than a tablet which over a long reading time also makes a difference. With case, my Kindle Paperwhite is 300 grams. The 7" Kindle Fire tablet is over 400 grams without a case.

The display size on many newer mobile phones have gotten to between 5 and 6 inches and they are usually less than 200 grams but the screens are much narrower than a reader's display so lines of text tend to be narrow.

One more advantage to an E-Reader is that both the size and the style of the typeface can be easily adjusted.

For casual readers who read for short periods at a time, tablets and phones are perfectly sufficient. E-Readers are really for serious readers who like to get lost in a book for an afternoon or an evening. The "Paperwhite" is especially convenient on long airplane flights because with it's softly lit display, one doesn't need to turn on the overhead reading light,

I've had my original Kindle for almost six years and my Paperwhite for two. Both have traveled hundreds of thousands of air miles with me (I fly as a courier) and never a problem though the battery on the original is not as long lasting as it once was.

Edited by dddave

Do buy one! I've had my Kindle Paperwhite for four years this month and have never had a single problem, and I use it daily for at least two hours at night. If you can manage to break three over 6 years you're mistreating it.

I concur. I've had mine for 3-4 years. No trouble. I'm a big Mac fan, and have been tempted to get a mini etc. But the Kindle's long battery life compared to the iPad is great. I charge it once a month maybe. Also, I think I saw a study that said that reading a computer or iPad at night might lead to sleep problems, because of the light. I think that same study said the Kindle was okay, did not cause sleep problems-it is not a lot of light, just enough.

The user interface is fine. But I do get a bit frustrated by the interface sometimes. Like highlighting text. A bit annoying sometimes. But then the device is a lot less money etc.

If you have an Amazon account it is very impressive. Just buy a book, and it will load via WiFi on your kindle in a few seconds.

Indeed tablets can be used as readers and many people are more than satisfied using them but there are significant advantages to using a dedicated reader, especially if you like to read for fairly long periods perhaps exceeding ninety minutes at a time.

First of all is the display itself. E-readers have a static screen..it does not cycle or scan 50-60 times a second nor is it strongly backlit. This makes the reader display much easier on the eyes. With a tablet display, eye fatigue can be a problem.

The other big advantage is that readers are generally much lighter than a tablet which over a long reading time also makes a difference. With case, my Kindle Paperwhite is 300 grams. The 7" Kindle Fire tablet is over 400 grams without a case.

The display size on many newer mobile phones have gotten to between 5 and 6 inches and they are usually less than 200 grams but the screens are much narrower than a reader's display so lines of text tend to be narrow.

One more advantage to an E-Reader is that both the size and the style of the typeface can be easily adjusted.

For casual readers who read for short periods at a time, tablets and phones are perfectly sufficient. E-Readers are really for serious readers who like to get lost in a book for an afternoon or an evening. The "Paperwhite" is especially convenient on long airplane flights because with it's softly lit display, one doesn't need to turn on the overhead reading light,

I've had my original Kindle for almost six years and my Paperwhite for two. Both have traveled hundreds of thousands of air miles with me (I fly as a courier) and never a problem though the battery on the original is not as long lasting as it once was.

Not to mention the great battery life of a Kindle compared to a tablet etc. I read a great deal, every day without fail and I recharge every week or so, just to keep it topped off. The Kindle is an amazing marvel, IMO, and although I am a big user of an iPad, I cannot imagine reading my books on anything other than my Kindle.

I have used a Kobo for a number of years and find the ereader is kinder to my eyes, its more like paper, tabs hurt my eyes with the glare. I have had a Kobo sat on and it didnt like that, now the plastic in my other Kobo is disintegrating, how robust is the Kindle?

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk

I have used a Kobo for a number of years and find the ereader is kinder to my eyes, its more like paper, tabs hurt my eyes with the glare. I have had a Kobo sat on and it didnt like that, now the plastic in my other Kobo is disintegrating, how robust is the Kindle?

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk

I purchased the leather cover that is offered with the Kindle. When the cover is opened like a book the Kindle comes alive, and when the cover is closed, the Kindle shuts down.

The cover will protect the Kindle if I drop it, but I don't know that it would be robust enough to survive if I sat on it.

That said, I have had this Paperwhite version for a few years now and travel with it frequently and it shows no sign of wear. I had the previous Kindle version for a few years prior to purchasing this one, and it also lasted with absolutely no problems. The only reason I replaced it was that I was enticed after seeing the Paperwhite version to upgrade.

I also find the Kindle to be easier on my eyes, and it's light weight makes it a pleasure to read in bed or for extended periods.

Edited by SpokaneAl

Not sure if it'll work with that or not but sometimes you can kick life into such batteries by plugging it into charge and pulling the plug 15-20 times. Something to do with the battery being so dead that it thanks a full a charge is any charge at all. I've used the trick with several devices where the built in rechargeables refuse to accept a charge.

Plug it in for 30 seconds or so and pull out. As soon as the full charge light comes on keep pulling it until you get a steady charge light. Might work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My advice would be to ask on the local forums. Pm me if you need the web addresses.

Lots of people have updated from their original Kindle to the Kindle Paperwhite.

Their original Kindle is probably collecting dust now and they may be happy to sell it to you for a reasonable price.

I used my original Kindle for several years. I read in bed every night until I get sleepy. One night, I fell sleep while reading and rolled over during the night onto the Kindle. The next morning the screen had problems.

I had a friend bring me a new Kindle Paperwhite from the US. The battery life is not as good as the original but is acceptable. It is now two or three years old and still works great. I use Calibre to load books onto it. I have never bought a book from Amazon so I have never used the WiFi. I love my Kindle and had my friend bring me a spare in case the one I use has a problem.

Apart from Gutenberg, which contains only out-of-copyright books, two sites that I know of offer free and cheap current books. These are ManyBooks and BookBub.

There are doubtless other sites, but these two offer a few every morning. I download a couple or so every day on to my laptop, and transfer them to my Kindle each month. Rubbish is easily (and quite frequently) deleted, but there are more than enough good reads to keep me going.

Apart from Gutenberg, which contains only out-of-copyright books, two sites that I know of offer free and cheap current books. These are ManyBooks and BookBub.

There are doubtless other sites, but these two offer a few every morning. I download a couple or so every day on to my laptop, and transfer them to my Kindle each month. Rubbish is easily (and quite frequently) deleted, but there are more than enough good reads to keep me going.

Get what you like from a torrent site.

HL

You can also join a library in Farang land and get books from them.

That's a great point, George that many of us forget. Different library's have various rules and some restrictions but it is a great way to get up to date books without downloading off sometimes questionable sites.

Check your hometown's library website for local details.

Edited by dddave