Is there office work in the oil industry?

EnglishGuru

I am probably going to regret jumpy so far out of my depth. However...here goes.

I have been working in Bangkok for several years and have started looking for more legitimate work, with more of a future. My family has friends that were in the business, no help to me now, and they always say I should try and get a job in office management, accounting (clerical) or other function that is on the administrative/management/communications side of the business.

While I have met several folks in the 'business' here in BKK they are either getting ready to retire or have a pretty good/safe job that I would not think of asking how to get into. My background is in commercial support, degree in finance, analysis, information management and transformation. With business analysis, operations, and implementation from sales automation to enterprise systems.

While it does not seem that my skillsets would be in that much demand in this industry, since I just saw this forum I thought I would ask. Besides as jobs go, working in the oil biz would actually be rather fun....I do actually like learning about business models, organization, and how strategy and tactics are both developed and managed....yes, I was good at getting the white collar work done. If I was 20 years younger I would try for rough neck.

Sorry if this post is vastly out of place.

This is the wrong time to think about joining the Oil industry,this current downturn has seen thousands of job losses both in the field and in the office environment.

Stick to what you know for now and wait for things to pick up whenever that may be,oil prices continue to drop and redundancies are a daily thing.

Good luck whichever you choose.

Right now times are tough in the Oil & Gas business and anyone trying to coming in new will find it very difficult.

For someone with your skill sets, planning and scheduling might be your best bet.

Have a look at Primavera.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primavera_(software)

https://www.theknowledgeacademy.com/th/courses/oracle-training/managing-projects-in-primavera-p6-professional-rel-8-0/bangkok/

It's not only the Oil industry that is terminating staff ... it's many industries ... mining, banking / finance, manufacturing, retail, supermarkets, pharmaceuticals ... many projects worldwide canceled.

THERE IS A SERIOUS DOWNTURN WORLDWIDE WITH HIGH UNEMPLOYMENT everywhere and things are going to get worse ....

not a good outlook unfortunately .... but it's the reality.

Wow...I am impressed with the speed and quality of replies. Too bad the prices decided, which they inevitably would, to plummet back down even lower than they had been.

I truly appreciate the honest recital of the reasons. It is so counter-culture, in the best of ways.

Stander, special thanks for the job role that might be a fit in times that are more fit.

On the bright side...no matter what "They" do, the World will be refining oil longer after we alive today are off contributing to its renewability.

I recommended Primavera to an acquaintance who was struggling here with a teaching job 10 years or so ago.

He scrimped and scrapped to get the money for the course in Singapore and now he is a Senior Projects Controls manager, with a major EPC company earning way more than before.

Archived