Windows to Linux

Vacuum

Mount it under linux and use it as any other subdirectory:

mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt (Of course replacing the /dev/sda1 with your partition specifics.)

(the whole disk will then be available under the /mnt directory)

If it is set up for dual booting then boot Linux and use the file browser and just click to mount the windows partition that has the files that can be listed on the right. Use file browser set up to show them if you don't see them. You may need to install NTFS support to Linux from the package manager, but rare is it that it is not already installed these days.

If moving from Linux to windows it is the same process just drag and drop the other way.

I use split screen in the file browser so I can see both source and destination at the same time - zero guess work nothing to type can be done start to finish with your mouse - I do it all the time.

Mount it under linux and use it as any other subdirectory:

mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt (Of course replacing the /dev/sda1 with your partition specifics.)

(the whole disk will then be available under the /mnt directory)

mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt ....

Things like this make the step-over to linux for us ( win XP 'ers that absolutely hate win 8 & 10 ) horrifying !

Does linux have a mode to use XP ( or parts of it ) in it but with linux taking care of the interface & drivers between new computer hardware and the old but superior OS ?

My next computer is forcibly linux . No choice , absolutely don't want any Apple products nor Win 10 and it's only gonna get worse with windows. Chrome OS : no thanks.

Update about mounting the Windows disk.

I just plugged in the disk and started my desktop....and voila, there it was, ready to use with Linux. smile.png Bye bye Windows, hello Linux.

Welcome to Linux.

If you are running into problems writing to the drive, install ntfs-3g. Should be in your repository or a "sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g" will do the trick.

Update about mounting the Windows disk.

I just plugged in the disk and started my desktop....and voila, there it was, ready to use with Linux. smile.png Bye bye Windows, hello Linux.

Welcome to Linux.

If you are running into problems writing to the drive, install ntfs-3g. Should be in your repository or a "sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g" will do the trick.

Thanks, have not tried writing but reading is ok. smile.png

Archived