Chiang Mai Photographic Group Exhibition Opens This Saturday

Greenside

Chiang Mai Photographic Group’s 8th Annual Exhibition
January 23rd – February 7th 2016

3rd Floor, MAYA Lifestyle Shopping Center (next to the glass lifts)

Open 11:00 - 21:00 daily

This collection of arresting images is our eighth exhibition and Maya have been kind enough to give us the same great location as we enjoyed last year. There are 110 images in this year's exhibition and during the year we were pleased to welcome several really talented new members whose work will really knock you out! Please come along and join us for a glass of wine at the Grand Opening on Saturday afternoon at 4:00 where US Consul General, Michael Heath will be cutting the (virtual) ribbon.

Incidentally, the CMPG exhibition is the first event in f/28, a month of photographic activity organised by Ryan Libre of Documentary Arts Asia here in Chiang Mai. It's a great time to visit the city with many venues showing photographers' work. More details here

i-gRDPRJq-X2.jpg

The CMPG is a non-profit organisation which aims to further all aspects of the picture taking abilities of its members through the sharing of skills and mutual support in an informal and inclusive atmosphere. We welcome photographically inclined visitors to Chiang Mai and hope you will come along to one of our regular meetings. For more information visit cmphotogroup.com.

Edited by Greenside

The opening was very well attended. Thanks to all who came - we hope you enjoyed the pictures!

i-LsmSqWM.jpg

i-CDtLHFL.jpg

By the way, I went to the brilliant exhibition exhibition ‘Siam Through the Lens of John Thomson 1865 – 1866’ at the Chiang Mai City Arts & Cultural Centre (behind Three Kings Monument) last week with some visiting friends and urge you not to miss it. This legendary Scottish photographer and travel writer visited Siam and in the mid 19th century and was granted rare access to photograph King Rama IV, his royal family and buildings around Bangkok, Siam and included Angkor and coastal China. This exhibition is on display until 31 January 2016 at the Chiang Mai City Arts & Cultural Centre, open daily 8.30am to 5pm, closed Mondays. Do read the timeline listing of the travels of this remarkable guy (main room, just by the door) and marvel at the quality and details of the pictures. More details at City Now from whom I borrowed most of the above description.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder that this will be the last weekend to see the CMPG exhibition at Maya which finishes on Sunday evening. Many thanks to all those who have left such enthusiastic comments in the Visitors' Book we're very glad you enjoyed it!

Something that many of our members noted while they were manning the show (and that we find particularly gratifying) are the number of shoppers who appear to happen upon the display while walking purposefully to somewhere else, pause at one of the outward facing images and end up spending fifteen or twenty minutes carefully walking round looking at everything.

Here's a different poster...

i-tn59n3r-X3.jpg

Also, don't forget that f/28 (or should it be f/29 this year?) is now running and there are dozens of photo exhibits all over town to take in. Visit f-28.org for more details on that.

• 10 months later...

The 9th Annual CMPG Exhibition opens at Maya on January 28th and runs through until February 12th.  We've already completed the selection process and I can tell you that looks set to be another excellent show.  I'll be releasing the details properly and distributing posters just after Christmas, so make a date in your diary to join us for a glass of wine at the Grand Opening at 4:00 on Saturday the 28th of January 2017.