Inner tube question.

Deserted

Hi all, I've go ta hybrid trek and on the wheel it states 700 x 35 but when I went to the bike shop earlier I wasn't sure and the guy behind the counter was sure I needed 700 x 32, which I then bought, Will this make any difference to my ride and should I ask to change it?

I think you'll be fine.

The recommended range on tyre sizes for a given tube should be printed on the packet, and you'll see it's quite a range. The fellas in the shop reckoned a couple of millimetres beyond the recommended range was OK too.

I reckon my 700x32s (cyclocross / road bike) will also do on the rear of my MTB (700 x 35), while if I'm out on the MTB I use one tube to cover 700x35 on the rear and 700x45 on the front (it's specified for 35 - 43, If I recall correctly).

Since I started pumping the tyres up to the high end of the recommended range I've had far fewer punctures touch wood - though I may have a different story tomorrow.

If you put a bit of air in the tube when its off the tyre, you'll see it's got a good bit of stretch in it. The only question is whether it holds air quite so well when its stretched so thin. but a couple of millimetres probably won't break the bank

SC

So, I'm losing 3mm, so because I ride on the road, perhaps this will be a slightly quicker tube (3mm less drag). Steering won't be affected much?

You won't noticed any difference as the tyre is still the same. The tube will stretch to fill the gap.

So, I'm losing 3mm, so because I ride on the road, perhaps this will be a slightly quicker tube (3mm less drag). Steering won't be affected much?

You won't noticed any difference as the tyre is still the same. The tube will stretch to fill the gap.

Agreed. The tube is just a sealant. You ride on the tire. That's why the pressure range is marked on the tyre, not the tube.

SC

• 1 year later...

best not to have a tube too small as it will have to stretch out to fill space.  When it does that easier to puncture.

better to go bigger than smaller.  As far as weight or making it quicker...not an issue unless you are in the tour de france.

An inner tube with 700x32 written on it will be perfectly fine for 700x35 tyre. If you inflate the innertube outside of the tyre you will see if balloon out much bigger than the tyre size. The 3mm is insignificant. The tyre itself may not even measure 35 when installed and inflated. I have some 700x35 schwalbe tyres which measure 32 when fitted.