Lost wallet experiment: Farang tests Thai honesty in hidden camera prank (VIDEO)

webfact

Lost wallet experiment: Farang tests Thai honesty in hidden camera prank (VIDEO)
By Coconuts Bangkok

wallet.jpg
Do Thais return lost wallets when a farang suggests they should split the money?

BANGKOK: -- In the classic lost wallet experiment, a farang prankster has tested how many Thais do the right thing when he suggests they should split the money from a wallet found on the ground.

The prank by YouTube celebrity “My Mate Nate,” a Thai-speaking farang teen in Thailand, went viral today after it was shared on YouLike, a popular Facebook page among locals.

In each scene, a pedestrian is seen dropping their wallet, and as an honest Thai tries to run after the pedestrian to return the money, Nate intercepts them and tries to stop them from doing the right thing.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/01/22/lost-wallet-experiment-farang-tests-thai-honesty-hidden-camera-prank

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-01-22

Those white dudes speak Thai like the Thai's. Bet they were brought up in Thailand in some international school. I speak Thai but I can't nail the accent like those dudes can. Dudes are freaking me out with their Thai ways.

Edited by tukkytuktuk

Those white dudes speak Thai like the Thai's. Bet they were brought up in Thailand in some international school. I speak Thai but I can't nail the accent like those dudes can. Dudes are freaking me out with their Thai ways.

Huh? Try to get a clue, re: the topic thread,.....dude! whistling.gif

Huh? Try to get a clue, re: the topic thread,.....dude! whistling.gif

lol ... I think he's on something for sure !!! go dude ... sleep man !!! gigglem.gif

Kon tang chaat.

That is the proper Thai word for foreigner.

When will ignorant people stop perpetuating this xenophobic bigotry with that dismissive gutter term; "farang"?

Farang, Farang, I am Farang and don't give a s###. Go back to your western political correctness which I am glad I have escaped from.

Kon tang chaat.

When will ignorant people stop perpetuating this xenophobic bigotry with that dismissive gutter term; "farang"?

also Ctchau tang Chaat.. and I totally agree

Kon tang chaat.

Farang, Farang, I am Farang and don't give a s###. Go back to your western political correctness which I am glad I have escaped from.

Well said snowflake...

Oh the outrageous stupidity and dishonesty in the title of this article, and how it speaks volumes about the kind of society we now live in, everywhere on this planet ...

'Farang tests Thai honesty' ... OK, so ... the 10 or so Thai people who get caught in this stupid prank are automatically supposed to represent the other 60 millions ? What happened to journalists who used to have an intelligent (not to mention ethical) approach to their job ?

Kon tang chaat.

why does this forum use this stupid word. Farang Food, Farang Wives etc. Do people who use this word call themselves orang puteh in Malaysia, or use the local word for foreigners when speaking English in other countries? To me it sounds ridiculous.

The first three years when I worked in Thailand many years ago, no-one used this word.

Lets have a campaign on TV to stop its use!

Kon tang chaat.

A very very old theme.

The word has become part of the language and will not go away anytime soon. So we might as well accept it and stop getting upset.

However I do wish that it would consistently be capitalised in accordance with English usage, "Farang".

Kon tang chaat.

A very very old theme.

The word has become part of the language and will not go away anytime soon. So we might as well accept it and stop getting upset.

However I do wish that it would consistently be capitalised in accordance with English usage, "Farang".

The collective word used to mean foreigner (or variations thereof) might change over time, as and when the social and language culture eventually starts to mature. We have seen such things in other cultures, right? When I was a kid, I ate some jam with a picture of a " golly <deleted>" on it. There have been many changes since then, thankfully.

It is not the word itself, but being identified by the discriminatory them and us collective, that is the eeky thing. Refer to me please either by the large scale collective "this belongs to the gentlemen", not " this belongs to the foreigner". Add a neutral identifier, "with the blue shirt and glasses".

People don't say "this belongs to the Thai lady", or " the black man is next inline"...oh hang on, they do the last one don't they. White people are not described as white, ...oh this is getting complicated.

There seems to be a lot of inconsistencies, and unfairness.

But still, I eek when I hear "Falang"... can we expect anything to change, unless the culture matures?

Kon tang chaat.

A very very old theme.

The collective word used to mean foreigner (or variations thereof) might change over time, as and when the social and language culture eventually starts to mature. We have seen such things in other cultures, right? When I was a kid, I ate some jam with a picture of a " golly <deleted>" on it. There have been many changes since then, thankfully.

It is not the word itself, but being identified by the discriminatory them and us collective, that is the eeky thing. Refer to me please either by the large scale collective "this belongs to the gentlemen", not " this belongs to the foreigner". Add a neutral identifier, "with the blue shirt and glasses".

People don't say "this belongs to the Thai lady", or " the black man is next inline"...oh hang on, they do the last one don't they. White people are not described as white, ...oh this is getting complicated.

There seems to be a lot of inconsistencies, and unfairness.

But still, I eek when I hear "Falang"... can we expect anything to change, unless the culture matures?

Oh yeah...the thread topic...yeah, nice little experiment..now do the same to falangs...oh drat, I used that nasty term. Better still, do the experiment on TVF bitter members...who haven't read this thread. Do the experiment on police officers.

Kon tang chaat.

In general Thai phonetics are horrible. Here's a few clearer pronouciations/meanings:

"Khon Dang Chart" - Person Different Country

"Farang" is a general term for a person of European descent.

My favorite is "Khon Dang Dao" - Person Different Star (literally) - that's why it says Alien on the immigration forms smile.png

Thais don't use "Farang" in a derogatory way, so it amazes me that people (ego) get upset rolleyes.gif

Kon tang chaat.

why does this forum use this stupid word. Farang Food, Farang Wives etc. Do people who use this word call themselves orang puteh in Malaysia, or use the local word for foreigners when speaking English in other countries? To me it sounds ridiculous.

The first three years when I worked in Thailand many years ago, no-one used this word.

Or let's just get a life.

With all the derogatory comments about Thais on this forum, I'm surprised we don't get called a lot worse

Kon tang chaat.

In general Thai phonetics are horrible. Here's a few clearer pronouciations/meanings:

"Khon Dang Chart" - Person Different Country

"Farang" is a general term for a person of European descent.

My favorite is "Khon Dang Dao" - Person Different Star (literally) - that's why it says Alien on the immigration forms smile.png

Thais don't use "Farang" in a derogatory way, so it amazes me that people (ego) get upset rolleyes.gif

Mr.Thai teacher wink.png I am sorry to correct your poetic explanation for "Khon Dang Dao", but it has nothing to do with "Person Different Star"

in this case the word Dao means country, land, domain.

The word star with almost the same orthographer has a maitho (tone mark) on the first letter dor dek so also a different pronunciation.

Not sure Mods will allow me? If not sorry, so suppress it : ดาว ด้าว

Kon tang chaat.

They do write the abusive term on police cars, so I'm not too sure.

I have never liked the word, as it's clearly not good, however I'm more annoyed at morons not from Thailand using it to show how "with it" they are.

My favorite is "Khon Dang Dao" - Person Different Star (literally) - that's why it says Alien on the immigration forms

Oh really. So according to you, they speak Thai in Viet Nam, in Taiwan and anywhere else foreigners are referred to as 'alien'. I think not.

Speak like Thais? Even blindfolded i could tell you within a second these aren't Thais speaking. Terrible accent, real pranks.

Kon tang chaat.

Yeah we should say Fulenel

Kon tang chaat.

I am a farang, I am a foreigner. What is the difference its just a word. If anything is ridiculous its people getting their nickers in a twist over such trivial things. .