Pet sitter Bangkok / Ari

handels

We moved to Bangkok (Ari) a few weeks ago, have a cat, and would like to find a pet sitter for a trip next month. I did some searching and really don't see much in the way of pet sitting services in Bangkok (at least advertising in English). I found some pet boarding places, but pretty sure those places will not enjoy my cranky old cat and his displeasure at being boarded.

Do most people just have maids/family watch their pets when they go out of town? I'm not sure if this is not a usual thing to need or if its the English-speaking part that is the problem. I saw that there is a classified area that I could post in, but it seems like that would attract lots of not-actual-pet-sitters*. I'd like to find someone with some experience if possible. Not as if it's difficult to care for a cat, but they do have to be in my home, and there is some explaining required.

Any advice would be most appreciated. Also welcome any tips on Ari area.

Many thanks!
Hannah

*and I have to give them a phone number as the Classified sections doesn't allow email. Semi-related story: we tried for weeks to get AIS to install fibre in our condo. They set appointment after appointment then finally said they wouldn't do it. So, we went to TOT. They said, sure we'll do it, then kept refusing to set an appointment. Yesterday, five workers showed up with no warning and installed the line (great!). One of them copied my mobile number from the work order and has been texting me kissy faces (less great!).

Have you tried house sitters, Hanna? Lots of people willing to watch the kitty for the whole time you are gone in your place. Its how we stayed our first 2 weeks in BK (Silom area) back in October. And five other countries last year.

It's kinda like online dating crossed with couch surfing: You list your need -- the dates you need a sitter, your basic location (not your address), the pets and any other particulars -- and people "apply" if they're interested. You'll get a dozens of options in 24 hours, I'd wager.

There are literally thousands of people signed up, with references and videos and more. We have a page with the house sitting sites we use: http://shevo.<deleted>/stayforfree, and the site we've had the most luck with was Trusted Housesitters.

I know a few folks close buy who would *love* to find a month-long stay in Bangkok. You'll fill up with requests very quickly. :)

E.

Edited by Evo Terra

Yes, pet boarding places can be terrible for your pet. I left my puppy with one of the reputable places (Thonglor Pet Hospital) and (1) the dog came back with a pee stain on his tail (2) they charge me 2 days' fee instead of the 1-day fee they initially quoted when we told them the exact drop off/ pick up time.

So, now i get my friend to check in on my pet daily if i have to leave town for a few days. Or get my friend's aunt to travel from suburbs into Bkk to house-sit for a few days (and of course, pay her accordingly)

• 3 weeks later...

Quite a few Cat's Cafe showing below not too far from you & along BTS, I'm sure they do sitting or can find who can:

Caturday Cat Cafe, Petchburi Rd. : Tel: 02 656 5247
วันและเวลาเปิดปิดทำการ : เปิดทุกวัน เวลา 12.00 - 21.30 น.
ภาพจาก : https://www.facebook.com/Caturdaycatcafe

CaraMaew Cat Cafe, Sathorn Area : 094-66 33-880
วันและเวลาเปิดปิดทำการ : เปิดทุกวัน เวลา 11.00 - 21.00 น.
ภาพจาก : https://www.facebook.com/KharaMaewCarameow

ที่อยู่ : 109 Sukhumvit 53, Wathana

เบอร์โทรศัพท์ Chico Cafe : 02 258 6557
วันและเวลาเปิดปิดทำการ : เปิดทุกวัน เวลา 09.30 - 18.00 น. Close Tuesday

ที่อยู่ : Soi Srinakarin 51 Srinakarin Rd., Pravait BKK

เบอร์โทรศัพท์ Makura Cat Cafe : 086 547 0331
วันและเวลาเปิดปิดทำการ : เปิดทุกวัน เวลา 12.00 - 21.00 น. Close Tuesday
ภาพจาก : https://www.facebook.com/MakuraCatCafe

ที่อยู่ : 28/1 อาคาร ตลาดสุคนธสวัสดิ์ (SS Center), Lad Prao BKK.

เบอร์โทรศัพท์ Charming Cats Cafe and Pet Shop : 025532251 , 0818360055
วันและเวลาเปิดปิดทำการ : เปิดทุกวัน เวลา 12.00 - 21.00 น. Close Mon & Tue.

ที่อยู่ : Sukhumvit 53, Sukhumvit Rd., Klong Teuy, Wathana BKK

เบอร์โทรศัพท์ Purr Cat Cafe Club (เพชร รัตนารัตน์ เอื้อทวีกุล) : 02 108 3604
วันและเวลาเปิดปิดทำการ : เปิดทุกวัน อังคาร-พฤหัสฯ เวลา 11.00 - 20.00 น. ศุกร์-อาทิตย์ เวลา 11.00 - 21.00 น. Close Monday

ที่อยู่ : Soi Petchburi 38/1, 2nd Flr., Ozono Plaza, Petchburi Rd., เขตห้วยขวาง กรุงเทพฯ

เบอร์โทรศัพท์ Cataholic Cafe : 0898516500 , 0842697945
วันและเวลาเปิดปิดทำการ : เปิดทุกวัน เวลา 12.00 - 21.00 น. Close Mon.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't even know that cat cafes were a thing!

The housesitters looks like a great idea for our long stays out of town. I love the idea of someone also getting to use the house while we are gone to have a vacation.

For the short trip coming up, I asked our vet and their vet technician does pet sitting, so that is another possibility for others who need pet sitting.

Thanks again for the help!

• 4 months later...

Hi Hannah, I'm an Irish journalist, based mostly in Malaysia and Indonesia. I would be very interested in spending time in Bangkok and am a very experienced and reliable cat-sitter. I thought I would get in touch as I noticed your ad, and a message on a house-sitting website that may also have been from you. There are lots of people in Malaysia, Europe, and Australia who would recommend me as a pet- and house-sitter. Don't hesitate to get in touch if you need someone. All the very best, Annette

I'm quite sad to see this reply to my message. I am totally genuine. I saw Hannah's ad, but was unsure about signing up to the pet-sitter website, and thought I would give this forum a try. If Hannah herself is interested in finding out more about me, great. I'd appreciate it if other forum members weren't rude to me when they don't even know me. This is a link to my website, which is focused on the environment and human rights. https://time2transcend.wordpress.com/ I am genuinely interested in Thailand, but, because I fund my website myself, I don't have the budget for hotels at the moment. Annette

• 1 month later...

I should have come back and updated this long ago!

1. Ari Pet Hospital (which is my cat's vet) will watch the cat for a couple hundred baht per visit. I believe the vet tech does this. They don't do it on Sundays though!

2. I found a regular pet sitter. She watched our cat over this weekend and things went well. I think she was also 200 baht per visit. I can pass along your info to her for those interested.

3. I actually have done the homesitters thing twice! People have come from Panama and UK to stay in the house and mind the cat, meanwhile they get a vacation. It's quite nice, if you like guests. So this is good for longer trips. I have used Nomador, Trusted House Sitters and House Carers. I'll be there are even more sites than those. Many people are doing this full-time now!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/4/2016 at 1:03 PM, handels said:

2. I found a regular pet sitter. She watched our cat over this weekend and things went well. I think she was also 200 baht per visit. I can pass along your info to her for those interested.

Hi, can I have the contact of this pet sitter? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have an indoor cat who is the most precious thing in my world. Unfortunately I also have to travel a lot lately, sometimes for extended periods. I usually advertise on expat groups on FB, & on Craigslist. I interview candidates, with care and see how they interact with my cat. It is a good deal for someone looking to save money on temporary accommodation. I pay all rent, utilities, and cat related expenses. It gets expensive, however I simply couldn't leave my baby in a boarding kennel. I have had several sitters, and only one really bad experience. The guy trashed the place, I've never seen anything like the state of my condo when I got home. Worse than that, my cat had clearly been neglected! He claimed to be experienced, & asked all the right questions, so I thought he was perfect. The guy is a scam artist, avoid him, his name is Dan Flood.

I feel

strongly that the best option for my cat is  a live in sitter when I must travel. You simply must be thorough with the interview process, also trust your cat's reaction to candidates. As a 'cat person' you will understand what I mean by 'cats just know who is or isn't a good person'..

My bad experience was due to my conducting the interview on Skype as I needed someone to take over from a previous sitter.

It is possible to find good people..

• 2 months later...
On 4/8/2559 at 1:03 PM, handels said:

1. Ari Pet Hospital (which is my cat's vet) will watch the cat for a couple hundred baht per visit. I believe the vet tech does this. They don't do it on Sundays though!

3. I actually have done the homesitters thing twice! People have come from Panama and UK to stay in the house and mind the cat, meanwhile they get a vacation. It's quite nice, if you like guests. So this is good for longer trips. I have used Nomador, Trusted House Sitters and House Carers. I'll be there are even more sites than those. Many people are doing this full-time now!

Hi, I also live in Ari and am looking for a reliable cat sitter.  Could you give me the contact of your regular pet sitter please?  Thanks :-)