Lucky escape: Dash cam footage shows the importance of wearing a seat belt

Yes very lucky they were wearing a seatbelt.

Also very lucky the black car didn't slam into a school bus, a pick up with 20+ people in the back, a group of cyclists or someone on a motorbike.

Looks like the black car was probably trying to pull off some ridiculous overtaking but then again, how many time have we seen that?

I'll show this to some of my in-laws, they think my insistence on them belting up is a little eccentric. That said they very quickly learned that until they all had their belts on we would not be going anywhere.

I can understand locals not routinely wearing belts and helmets, among other things that "we" know better, as they really don't know any better. What I find difficult to understand is the lack of high profile educational campaigns similar to those that I remember from my yoof in Blighty - after all, they manage to delete every mild expletive from English language TV without any difficulty.

A salutary lesson indeed, but who will take notice? sad.png My Thai companion (a nurse) is slow to respond to my request to fasten seat belt. Yet she has to sometimes deal with the trauma of road accidents. Go figure.

It would not have happened if they had not been there - huh, where have I heard that before whistling.gif

Just imagine if that lady was hold a baby unrestrained as most Thais do . That baby would be in the hospital now

ALL children should be in baby seats or wear a seat belt PERIOD

If you think you can hold a child in an accident you are only fooling yourself or you are a fool

Lucky they were wearing seat belts, especially since the drive has the reaction time of a sloth.

Rubbish. Look at the spread of the accident - that is, the amount of space taken up by the two vehicles in the initial accident. It was right across the road in front of the camera car. No time to take any evasive action let alone get clear. The driver seemed very cool to me - glad he and his wife were unhurt - hope the same for others in the two front vehicles.

It seems that the dash cam car did start to break quick enough. Most people don't understand how far a car travels in meters before you even get your foot on the brake (0.2-1 second reaction time), especially when you drive 90-100 km/h.

I'll be showing this to my Inlaws who rarely wear their seatbelt when in their car on their own (i.e. when I'm not there to nag them)....

That said, I'm sure they'd be thinking that this couldn't happen to them !!!.....

If you show them the video then they have an accident in the future they will blaim you. If they never see the video they will have no one to blame. They'll just think they're not lucky on that day.

Man I get in a car etc I feel naked without the seat belt. But comming from country it is a substantial fine and if the passenger's don't buckle up you get the ticket. Use to drive my kids to school if the weather was bad. We get in the car and I wait then they say why aren't we moving. I just look at them and say seat belt. They got the message.