Very Small Resort.

32x

Im thinking about having a small resort built on my wifes land.

Nothing massive,about 5 bungalows that would sleep 2 people each with AC,Swimming pool & resturant.

I would like advice if possible from others guys that have either tried this & the pros & cons of trying this type of venture.

Wifes land that im thinking of building on is about 3 Rai 5 minutes walk from a lovely lake.

& we have a proper road just off route 304 that leads to the village. :o

32x, a friend of mine has almost the same thing you describe. He is finding it rather hard attracting tourist type traffic, he mostly gets Thai men with young girls coming in for short time. The resort has only been open for six months so it will take time to get known and he really has not advertised it. I think if you advertised in forms like this, and Stickman's Bangkok, and went after the expat market living in Bangkok that might like to see the real Thailand, but had no idea where to go, you might be able to make a go of it.

When you say off the 304, is it South of Kabin Buri, in the mountains, or between the mountains and Korat? Around the Surin & Buriram area, there are several 'Resorts' just like the one you are describing. Ban Naa cottages and Surin Country Lodge are two that spring to mind. Also there are a couple developing on the 359 between the 304 & Wattana Nakon. In fact when the road to Cambodia is completed, we ourselves have a suitable estate to devolpe thus as well, 10kms from Surin center. With more and more visitors coming to Isaan, it is bold move, but I think a good move. We have one on our web-site as well, unfinished, albeit, that has attracted a great deal of interest lately. If only we could trace the Farang that's selling it. Her seems to have gone to ground.

The alternative guests, that frequent these out of the way places, as Isaangeorge points out, can be a regular source of income in the low season as well.

Hi 32x (& others)

My wife (and I) already have a place similar to what you have in mind.

Our place is by the main rd (2248) down in the South West corner of Ubon Province.

We have a guesthouse with 4 rooms w/ac, 4 bungalows w/f, restaurant which seats more than 60 people, bar with tv and pool table........................ + more.

Swimmingpool and fitness room will be ready within a couple of weeks.

Our property is 200 rai (which I did not buy) and we have a lot of fruit trees, several ponds with fish, a river, etc.

I have spent a fair bit of money to make everything in Farang quality.

I do not expect to get my investment back, but if the income is enough to pay the bills

(and my beer :D ), which it already does, I am :D .

After 2 and 1/2 year of spending money, I plan to slow down considerably from New Year (2007).

Business is improving slowly but steady, and I'm sure the future will be prosperous.

I've just made my own web site, which will be improved with new pics of swimmingpool etc.

I also plan to make brochures, advertise in a couple of Farang magazines, TV, other web sites, contact travel agents/tour companies, etc.

If you want to check out our web site, go to links on the FC web site.

Good luck........... oh and you're :o to visit and check out our place. :D

Trond

Thanks for all the great replys.Some really good advice there!!.

Location wise its perfect,35 miles up north from kabin Buri.

10 minute drive off route 304.

There is alot of resorts going up in the area but mostly by big Knobs from BKK to cater for the upper-class Thai market.Im sure these guys havent a clue just by looking at the rates they charge, but then again i could be wrong as theres always loads of tour buses going up & down.

I want to cater too the farrang market as a short break from Pattaya or BKK as a place to relax & unwind or to the fallang that wants to spend a month or so in Los but is on a budget.

As for the ad-verts have a good friend whos a web-master & im sure he will come up with a cracker of a web-site for the resort :D (He can stay for free).Would like to put some banners up on local farrang web-sites in Pattaya,Hua Hin & Bangkok.

Its still very early days but was thinking about doing a free airport pick-up service for guests staying more than 7 nights landing at Korat airport & not having a high or low season rates, just the same charge for the rooms all year round.

Bergen will check out your site soon :o

Thanks for all the great replys.Some really good advice there!!.

Location wise its perfect,35 miles up north from kabin Buri.

10 minute drive off route 304.

There is alot of resorts going up in the area but mostly by big Knobs from BKK to cater for the upper-class Thai market.Im sure these guys havent a clue just by looking at the rates they charge, but then again i could be wrong as theres always loads of tour buses going up & down.

I want to cater too the farrang market as a short break from Pattaya or BKK as a place to relax & unwind or to the fallang that wants to spend a month or so in Los but is on a budget.

As for the ad-verts have a good friend whos a web-master & im sure he will come up with a cracker of a web-site for the resort :D (He can stay for free).Would like to put some banners up on local farrang web-sites in Pattaya,Hua Hin & Bangkok.

Its still very early days but was thinking about doing a free airport pick-up service for guests staying more than 7 nights landing at Korat airport & not having a high or low season rates, just the same charge for the rooms all year round.

Bergen will check out your site soon :o

Just click on the site at the top of the page. We'll put yours on our site too if you like, under hotels.

Like i said its still early days but its something im 100% sure i want to do.

Im back in the UK at the mo but fly back to LOS next friday(Thank Fxxk) :D

Before i flew out i spoke to the builder who did our house & he said he could do 5 bungalows for 1,000,000 baht but we still need to finalise a few things ie-time scale.

Will keep you all posted to how things work out :o

Its still very early days but was thinking about doing a free airport pick-up service for guests staying more than 7 nights landing at Korat airport ...........

I think daily flight schedules for Nakhon Ratchasima Airport were suspended/stopped about a year ago. You will not be collecting too many guests from that airport! :o

Its still very early days but was thinking about doing a free airport pick-up service for guests staying more than 7 nights landing at Korat airport ...........

I think daily flight schedules for Nakhon Ratchasima Airport were suspended/stopped about a year ago. You will not be collecting too many guests from that airport! :o

Thanks for that :D

Guess i wont be doing a free airport pick up service then :D