Convert Tourist Visa to Non-Immigrant Visa ("retirement") at Bangkok. Questions

I am British, 49 years old. I turn 50 on 11th April 2016 and I plan to enter the 50+ "retirement" extension-of-stay system.

I "live" in Bangkok.

I have an existing Kaskorn bank account in Bangkok and I intend to transfer enough from the UK to keep an 800k Baht balance in it (instead of using the income rule).

I currently have a multiple-entry tourist visa (METV) with the last entry to be made before 20th June 2016.

I intend to return from a trip short overseas on 18th April, thereby acquiring a permission-to-stay stamp until 15th June. Then my next planned overseas trip will be to the UK from about 4th June until 30th June.

Depending on the answer to my question #3 below, I intend to convert my METV to a non-immigrant visa at Bangkok between 19th April and 19th May, leaving a clear 15 days to make my 2nd trip to immigration to collect my passport before I leave on 4th June. I understand I'll then be given a single-entry 90-day non-immigrant visa dated from my day of application.

Questions:

1. Can I convert a tourist visa at any time during its life, as long as it's at least 15 days before the current permission-to-stay stamp expires?

2. Will my tourist visa be converted to an "O" or an "O-A" visa? I don't understand the difference, if there is one.

3. Is re-entry possible during the INITIAL 90 DAYS of the converted non-immigrant visa (rather than later on, from the time of my first extension, with re-entry permit)?

4. If I postpone the process until I return from the UK on 30th June, is there any disadvantage to making a visa-exempt entry (rather than single-entry tourist-visa) other than having only 30 days to get it done rather than 60?

Note that the Thai consul in Liverpool told me she can no longer issue non-immigrant visas based on age unless the applicant is over 65, so I must convert in Thailand

Thanks in advance!

The experts will be along. I can chip in couple of answers.

The AO you refer to you obtain in your own country. You cannot convert to this. It has more requirements than non imm o.

As far as your money in your thai bank. Make sure you provide proof it came from o/s.

You seem pretty much have rest covered. Example doing conversion with 15 days prior etc.

Put on your radar the option of just going to nearby country such as loas and obtain non imm o. Just in case.

The proof of funds and where they came from is different than say bkk. Welcome to los

• Yes.
  • They don’t really convert your tourist visa. They issue a non ‘O’ visa that is immediately used to give you a 90 day permit to stay. A non ‘O-A’ visa is only available from a country you have legal residence in. They are not applicable to conversions.
  • Yes.
  • No disadvantage other than the one you have mentioned.

Did you ask Liverpool if the would issue a single entry non ‘O’ on the basis that you intend to apply for a 1 year exertion of stay? If Liverpool won’t, maybe London will.

Alternatively, you could get a non ‘O-A’ from London. That is a 1 year multiple entry visa. You can come and go as often as you want for 1 year and every time you enter you are granted a 1 year stay. If you exit/enter just before the visa you will be granted a new 1 year stay. If you want to come and go during this year you can with a re-entry permit. At the end of the second year you can apply for a new visa or go for the 1 year extension of stay.

Thank you very much for the replies.

elviajero, I'm pretty sure Liverpool told me they wouldn't issue a non-O visa for that purpose. There is now no mention of any age-related visas on their website. I may check with them. An “O-A” (Long Stay) visa from London would be another option, but the paperwork requirements look tougher, 90-day reporting would still be required, and I don't have good memories of dealing with that place.

Further questions....

5. Is it possible to apply for a 30-day tourist visa extension and then convert to a non-O visa on the same day in Bangkok (both legally and practically)?

6. Is there a time limit on how long 800K must have been in the bank before the tourist visa>non-O conversion?

7. Is it correct that the 1-year extension must be applied for no more than 30 days before the "admitted-until" date?

8. Is the end date of a 1-year extension a) 1 year from the date of application for extension, or B) 1 year from the "admitted-until" date?

Edited by thaitanic

5. suspect it would be - but nothing gained beyond the O entry 90 days - but might allow doing at end of permitted stay time

6. no

7. varies but most allow up to 30 to 45 days early

8. extensions are from admitted until date

Thanks again lobpuri3. The reason for question #5 was exactly that. If one left the conversion to within 15 days of the admitted-until date so needed more time.

Anyway on reflection I think I'm going to do visa runs for now and leave the non-O until I get back from the UK on 30th June with a visa-exempt entry.

Anyway on reflection I think I'm going to do visa runs for now and leave the non-O until I get back from the UK on 30th June with a visa-exempt entry.

Just be aware, then, that you risk being denied boarding your return flight from the UK at check-in unless you can produce evidence of an onward flight booking out of Thailand within the following 30 days.

In these circumstances I wonder whether your most practical course of action might be to book an onward flight within this period to either Vientiane in PDR Laos or Penang in Malaysia, and then obtain a non-O from the local Royal Thai embassy (Vientiane) or consulate (Penang) instead of doing a non-O conversion in Bangkok (which would, in any event, require 2 trips to Chaengwattana 15 days apart).

Edited by OJAS

Good point, OJAS. Thank you. I'd temporarily forgotten about that requirement. So I will probably plan a short trip to Penang (direct flight from Bangkok on Thai or AirAsia), get a non-O 90-day visa, and then do a simpler 1-year extension at Bangkok 60-90 days later.

So many different options!

Edited by thaitanic

• 5 months later...

So I'm now in Thailand with 28 days left of my 30-day visa-exempt entry.

I'm now considering the following 2 choices:

a. Fly to Penang within 30 days to apply for a non-immigrant O visa based on retirement

or

b. Convert my visa-exempt stamp to a non-immigrant O visa at Chaengwattana here in Bangkok within the next 13 days (so 15 days of my permitted stay are left)

I would then 60-90 days later apply for a 1-year extension at Chaengwattana.

Questions:

1. Is option b plausible?

2. Can anyone confirm the exact documents required in either case? I see many slightly conflicting lists on the net.

3. Am I understanding the process correctly, and are there any advantages/disadvantages to either option that I might not have considered?

Edited by thaitanic