Best place to change money

dan1

The booths you see as you walk around the streets will generally give you a better rate than the banks. There won't be much difference between the exchange booths themselves. Sometimes you can get a marginally better rate if you exchange £50 notes. Clean, unmarked and undamaged £50 notes will get you the best rate and the larger the amount,the better the rate. However the difference between the best rate and the worst rate is unlikely to be great. I hope this is helpful.

Edited by Rajab Al Zarahni

TT; black script on yellow background; have plenty of booths around that give a good rate. You don't say which part of the UK you are from, Dan1, but I have noticed that a few money changers give a reduced rate for Scottish notes. Hoots mon!!rolleyes.gif. As in all things, shop around ... oh & don't forget to take your passport. I nearly forgot to tell you that. Good luck, take care & have a great time.

I used to use bank gold run by Chinese always gave a better rate than the booths around town

If you are exchanging a large amount of sterling for a condo or car purchase, external currencies are required to be remitted here via TT so the rate is dependent on the Thai receiving bank, you can talk to them and negotiate a few points higher in the case of SCB for example.

TT; black script on yellow background; have plenty of booths around that give a good rate. You don't say which part of the UK you are from, Dan1, but I have noticed that a few money changers give a reduced rate for Scottish notes. Hoots mon!!rolleyes.gif. As in all things, shop around ... oh & don't forget to take your passport. I nearly forgot to tell you that. Good luck, take care & have a great time.

Scottish notes also attract poor rates in some parts of the UK.

My son is studying in Glasgow and visited London for a few days last month with a friend. The friend tried to exchange some Scottish £10 notes at an exchange booth for English notes (he had problems with London shops as they are not obliged to accept them) but was offered £7 for each £10 note. Needless to say he didn't take up their kind offer. Think he found a bank that assisted.

When he related this story to me I advised him that, next time, they should offer to buy any Scottish notes from the exchange booth for £8. A win / winbiggrin.png

Scottish notes also attract poor rates in some parts of the UK.

My son is studying in Glasgow and visited London for a few days last month with a friend. The friend tried to exchange some Scottish £10 notes at an exchange booth for English notes (he had problems with London shops as they are not obliged to accept them) but was offered £7 for each £10 note. Needless to say he didn't take up their kind offer. Think he found a bank that assisted.

When he related this story to me I advised him that, next time, they should offer to buy any Scottish notes from the exchange booth for £8. A win / winbiggrin.png

I remember something like this from my schooldays, of long ago when the story was a Scottish pound note was worth 21 Shillings, untrue of course.