Buying a second hand pick up.

What is your knowledge level ? If you know your way around cars and trucks, it is easy to spot pitfalls. A magnet and a length of heater hose can tell you an amazing amount of info re: the condition of the vehicle. Body damage is visible to the naked eye re: panel alignment. If your knowledge is limited, and you do not know someone with the requisite know-how, you are at the mercy of the sellers, dealers, etc. But new - take the hit. Buy used - in good, well-looked after condition, and save heaps of money as well as having a much broader selection of vehicles to choose from. When I decided to buy a V6 Teana, checked the online sites, found BKK had the most choice, flew down, got a central located hotel, and picked up the fone. Many dealers will pick you up to inspect the vehicle.

Edited by canthai55

Thank's, I think I'm going down the 2nd hand route, we have a Nissan pick up that is 26 years old and is showing signs of it's age, could still get 50-60,000 baht for it though, i have some feelers out in Pattaya, Khon Kaen and Bangkok, I'm in no hurry will wait for something decent to come along, 3-400,000 range.

Thanks again.

DELETED here just to let you know we have a nice tata 2.2 4 door diesel pick up for sale

it has done 70000 km black with a full service history in as new condition and only been driven by myself and wife since new in 2012

i have looked after my truck and have just driven it from buriram to bangkok 440 kms on 600baht of diesel

i have blue book in my possession in my name it has a new battery and nearly new tyres

i have all the receipts for all the services and is 100 per cent reliable DELETED

nb depending on where you stay willing to take truck to you

PM for Info

Edited by seedy
personal details

I'v bought secondhand vehicles all my life, never gave them much thought, if it looked ok,ran well and the price was right that was usually good enough for me, and I always did very well. Reckoned as long as I serviced it regularly after that I should be fairly OK. The worst that could happen might be the engine blows, so I just stick another one in, especially here in Thailand where the cost is a fraction of what it is at home.

My brother on the other hand checked every car he bought with a magnifying glass and never had a bit of luck with his purchases.

Look for a vehicle with under 100,000 km. Get a condition report from a service garage, with an estimate of what it would take to get the vehicle back to peak condition - stuff like tyres, wheel bearings, shock absorbers, brake linings etc. Double the cost of the estimate, then add to the asking price. If it's still within your budget, buy it. Or use the condition report as a tool in your negotiations with the seller.

I'v bought secondhand vehicles all my life, never gave them much thought, if it looked ok,ran well and the price was right that was usually good enough for me, and I always did very well. Reckoned as long as I serviced it regularly after that I should be fairly OK. The worst that could happen might be the engine blows, so I just stick another one in, especially here in Thailand where the cost is a fraction of what it is at home.

My brother on the other hand checked every car he bought with a magnifying glass and never had a bit of luck with his purchases.

Perhaps you're a bit smarter than your brother-in-law, and so is his sister.biggrin.png

one post edited for personal details

Forum Rule - 18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures. Web addresses to personal non-commercial sites sites/blogs, or Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses, may be posted in a member's profile page.

20) You will not post any member's personal information including emails, personal messages, photos or web site details.

Get something made locally and widely available so that parts are easy and cheap to replace if something goes wrong. They have dmaxs hilux vigos mitsubishis all for reasonable second hand prices. If you buy cash outright you can expect a bargain from a dealer. Just test drive a few around the same age and kilometers, generally used cars dont have too many kilometers if owned privately, and those turbo diesel engines are particularly reliable. Just watch out someone hasnt removed the cluster and replaced it to hide excess kms.

• 2 weeks later...