5-year-old Australian girl killed in tragic motorcycle accident in northern Thailand

webfact

5 Year Old Australian Girl Killed in Tragic Motorcycle Accident in Northern Thailand

NORTHERN THAILAND – A five-year-old Australian girl and her Thai grandmother were tragically killed in a motorcycle accident in Northern Thailand, the little girl was on holiday from Australia to visit family.

Litte Sonya Davis from Australia, was visiting her grandparents at their north Thailand farm for the school holidays with her parents George and Somepong Davis and her six-year-old brother Justin, and was scheduled to fly home the same day she was hit by a car.

Sonya and her grandmother were riding a motorcycle to the local market on January 18 and when they tried to turn right they were hit by a car from behind, throwing them both off of the bike and into the road.

Her grandmother died immediately and Sonya was critically injured and rushed to the hospital where she was placed on life support before she died on Friday, five days later.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/5-year-old-australian-girl-killed-in-tragic-motorcycle-accident-in-northern-thailand.html

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2016-01-26

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest scrooge and worry of every 2 wheeler transport is be hit from behind by a distracted

or a wayward driver, while riders of the bike/moto can control what is going on in front and to their

sides, nothing they can do to avoid being hit from behind.....

Edited by ezzra

The biggest scrooge and worry of every 2 wheeler transport is be hit from behind by a distracted

or a wayward driver, while riders of the bike/moto can control what is going on in front and to their

sides, nothing they can do to avoid being hit from behind.....

If they turn right across the front of a car without looking or indicating then they failed to do something that could easily have been done and would probably have saved their lives.

Five year old on a bike in Thailand, probably no helmet? Parents should have had more sense, but maybe they did not know Thailand is about the most dangerous place in the world to ride a motorbike.

Yeah well done, just what the parents need at this moment in time. Finger pointing!

Five year old on a bike in Thailand, probably no helmet? Parents should have had more sense, but maybe they did not know Thailand is about the most dangerous place in the world to ride a motorbike.

Yeah well done, just what the parents need at this moment in time. Finger pointing!

You right, on this parents not helping the finger pointing, but those hundreds, not only Thais who take children to motorbike (sometimes couple of month old children), maybe they thinking after this. But i don't think so.

Tragic - RIP

BUT- i would also say - som-nam-na!

What did the 5 year old do on a bike?

Did any one of the 2 have a helmet? i guess not!

after all this is Thailand

wai2.gif

An innocent 5 year old was killed and you make this post ?!?!

Edited by Support
Flame removed

You right, on this parents not helping the finger pointing, but those hundreds, not only Thais who take children to motorbike (sometimes couple of month old children), maybe they thinking after this. But i don't think so.

A lot of people are missing the point here, having a 2, 3, 4 or 5 year old as a passenger on a bike here in Thailand is quite normal - what you are missing is that they do not have an option, the motorbike is the only family transport, they do not have the luxury of SUV's and strapped in child seats, just real life here for the majority of people.

Sad it is, but it happens almost every day in LOS.

And will continue for the foreseeable future. While crash helmets for kids can be purchased they would be well beyond most people's budgets even if they thought they were worth buying.

Very sad.

Recent Save the Children initiative, 100 bht each.

post-9791-14537722503087_thumb.jpg

Edited by apetley

they must have known as the mother is a thai! words fail me on this! anything I say will be construed as heartless, BUT what is done is done.

Sad it is, but it happens almost every day in LOS.

And will continue for the foreseeable future. While crash helmets for kids can be purchased they would be well beyond most people's budgets even if they thought they were worth buying.

Very sad.

reminder, both parents were on vacation from austraila! surely they could have afford a helmet.

Very sad indeed.

I was watching a father dote over his young daughter near Pattaya a few weeks back and she was around five. Mum and Dad put their helmets on and the daughter was standing up front with no protection. I thought the most precious thing in their life, and they don't seem to care about her safety.

Very sad indeed.

I was watching a father dote over his young daughter near Pattaya a few weeks back and she was around five. Mum and Dad put their helmets on and the daughter was standing up front with no protection. I thought the most precious thing in their life, and they don't seem to care about her safety.

I see this everyday too, avoiding the 300 baht fine is more important than the safety of their children.

From the brief description of the accident it sounds like one of my pet hates in Thailand, you slow down and indicate to turn right only to have someone behind you think it is a good idea to overtake you on the right hand side. I have had countless near misses where this has happened.

Tragic - RIP

BUT- i would also say - som-nam-na!

What did the 5 year old do on a bike?

Did any one of the 2 have a helmet? i guess not!

after all this is Thailand

wai2.gif

This forum needs a dislike button.

There's something wrong with you.

Edited by BaldPlumber