5-year-old Australian girl killed in tragic motorcycle accident in northern Thailand

webfact

Unfortunately there is very little chance of educating the older generation of Thai road users, car or motorcycle, they won't change.

This education has to start in school, teachers to set an example, not stand outside and watch bike after bike been ridden with helmetless and licenceless kids.

It's not gonna change unless the younger generation will change it.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rip little girl and rip granny.

Original article states that there are funds being raised to bring the little ones body back to Oz.

Indicates more than likely that the parents did not have a proper travel insurance....

I don't think insurance would pay out for a 5 year old on a motor bike, it's even an exclusion often for an adult. If the car driver was at fault the cops should be going after him to pay, not this crowd funding nonsense.

So sad I am about the tragic death of the little one, I'd like to let you know what a motorbike insurance covers.

12,000 baht for any medical expenses. Was there done that. Good luck that my Thai SS paid the other 96 K.

I hope there's a heaven for little kids.

This is a terrible story. But frankly, the fact that she was five years old means nothing to me. Her life was of no more importance than the thousands of others that die on these roads every year. Kids are given favorable treatment in the media. Sure her life was cut short. I get that. But, was she given a high quality helmet to protect her? Would you allow your daughter to ride on a motorbike here, without one? Some responsibility has to fall on the shoulders of the grandmother, for allowing her to drive without a good helmet. 90% of bike deaths are caused by impact to the head. The skull is a fragile thing. About as fragile as an egg, some experts say.

The only thing we know is that a car hit them from behind and killed them, but you want to have a go at them because you have seen other people not wearing helmets? It's strange how people want to put blame on the victims, why are you not talking about reckless drivers who fail to look out for bikes? They were hit from behind, that makes it the cars fault. 90% of bike deaths are caused by impact to the head, most of which are people wearing helmets, a helmet only reduces risk of death by 37%, you have no reason to presume that helmets would have saved either life.

I don't know where you live, but in Thailand, most traffic deaths are people on motorbikes not wearing helmets. Even Thai authorities admit that. As for the 37%, that depends on the speed. At the low speed most motorbikes are drive in Thailand, the prevention rate is probably much higher. I have been saved from injury by the helmet twice. The last time was a serious accident where I flew 5-10 meters through the air. I suffered injuries, but thanks to the helmet, no head injuries. The helmet was trash though, from doing its job.

It is usually the ones who refuse to wear a helmet, that cite these kinds of statistics. The 37% number just defies the intellect. It is probably a number for accidents that take place on freeways, where the bike is going 100 kph. At slow speeds it is bound to help. As long as it is not the bean cap some choose to wear, but rather a real helmet, meant to protect the head. Some will just not acknowledge how delicate an instrument the head really is.

Well, Thailand came up with 27% for the same study, the 37% comes from the UK and I just chose it because it was higher and I think it best to encourage helmet use. Not sure why you think defying a study which demonstrated that 63% of motorbike accidents resulted in a fatal injury that a helmet could not have prevented is defying intellect but, I do find that ironic. And fyi I do not fit your stereotype, I do not refuse to wear a helmet, I do not need one as I do not ride a bike, I have no idea why anyone who could afford not to would take such a risk with their life. You have a 5% risk of dying on a bike in Thailand just as an average low speed around the town Thai style rider, but as a highway town to town rider, well, it's really just a matter of time and is much more about the attention that car drivers are not paying on the road and less about wearing a helmet.

Unfortunately there is very little chance of educating the older generation of Thai road users, car or motorcycle, they won't change.

This education has to start in school, teachers to set an example, not stand outside and watch bike after bike been ridden with helmetless and licenceless kids.

It's not gonna change unless the younger generation will change it.

How can hitting teachers be an example? No one of our Thai teachers wears a helmet when they come to work.

So how can you tell the students that they have to wear a helmet, when their teachers don't? I'll post some very bloody accident photos next week and I'm sure it will help some of our racing guys on bicycle tires.

I have to admit that I did 180 km/h with my first big bike when racing through the city with a friend who wanted to be faster.

No helmet needed at that time. ( No law to wear one)

I never thought about crashing, which might be the reason why people drive so fast?

Edited by lostinisaan

Sad it is, but it happens almost every day in LOS.

And will continue for the foreseeable future. While crash helmets for kids can be purchased they would be well beyond most people's budgets even if they thought they were worth buying.

Very sad.

If you can afford 40.000 THB for a motorbike or scooter, you surely have the money to buy a decent helmet, or two,

The going price for a new motorcy is more like 55k+ these days. Most people can't afford the 50k+ and that's why they pay for it in installments. Down payment of 10 maybe and the rest monthly. Most land workers/laborers can't afford a 3-6000 baht helmet. They'd probably have to save another few months

This is not correct. A DOT approved locally made helmet can be obtained for 1200THB (Index) or around 1600 THB (REAL). The all new Yamaha 110 Nano Spark is available for around 40.000 THB today. So there is sufficient room to supply the whole family with a DOT helmet. The problem is, these folks here do not think that way. Some fancy scooter and shiny LEDs or other unnecessary extras are more important than any protection. It is sad but true.

If you don't find this utterly tragic, your heart is black.

wai2.gif

Of course I find it utterly tragic...

But if you are getting at those pointing out the senselessness of allowing a child so young on a bike, as I am sure I think like many others the availability of any helmet to meet even the most basics standard for a 5 year old is zero.

Never mind I am sure they the parents will have already been told to "go make another"... sad.png

Edited by Basil B

Did they ever catch the driver that hit them and ran away? You people are saying about wearing a helmet. When hit by a speeding truck on the rear of the scooter do you really think the helmet would make that much difference? RIP young lady!

Edited by Nobb

Five year old on a bike in Thailand, probably no helmet? Parents should have had more sense, but maybe they did not know Thailand is about the most dangerous place in the world to ride a motorbike.

I think the mother would know how dangerous Thailand roads are.

After all she is Thai.

Very tragic indeed.

I guess the proud grandmother only wanted to show the beautiful little girl to all the villagers. Now a family lost a (grand)mother and a daughter.
Who was at fault in this case is difficult to say with this little information.

That being said I find it strange that this Australian couple let their kid get on the motobike in the first place. Probably they thought, they were just acting like the locals, and hey, what can happen on a trip to the market?

Most amazingly I see several times tourists riding motobikes with kids on board and no helmet for anyone. All the standard sensible traffic rules applied in their home country is not needed here?

Five year old on a bike in Thailand, probably no helmet? Parents should have had more sense, but maybe they did not know Thailand is about the most dangerous place in the world to ride a motorbike.

And grandmother driving ...

Greatest sympathies to the family, but I wonder if Western Governments couldn't do more to warn their citizens of the dangers of motorcycling, and indeed driving, in Thailand? Perhaps a leaflet handed out with every air ticket as they leave their home countries on their flight out, to be read on the plane on the way here?

I leave the country often for work.

I have rules for my 10yo daughter when she uses our Honda 100. If I find out she hasn't worn the helmet we bought her she will have the privilege withdrawn. She did once before. I took the keys for a month. When I let her use the bike again I told her next time 'finish'.

Same when we go out in the car. No seatbelt, no start. This includes adults.

It doesn't take long for it to become normal practice.

The biggest lesson for them was the nephew with his brains all over the road.... no helmet.

RIP for these poor folks. Tragedy

Yeah well done, just what the parents need at this moment in time. Finger pointing!

Yeah, but he's right. And more people should be saying it. Thai's should be saying it. The <deleted> RTP should be saying it. Kids in this position are simply airbags. Thai's not having the brains to see the danger is normal. When Farang do it, it is unforgivable. Whether gran did the classic thai hook turn from the left lane or the twit in the car passed a vehicle on the right that was indicating accordingly, is unfortunately irrelevant. An innocent and trusting child has died through a multitude of adult's criminal negligence. Much more needs to be made of the dark horrors that occur everywhere, but especially when it's on your doorstep. Make it stop.

Saw a Thai language video the other day, kids in a Thai town 2 up on a bike. Stopped by the RTP for not wearing a helmet, he made them do squats and then let them drive on their way. Pathetic.

I have a young daughter the same age as the girl who was tragically killed here. She rides on a motorcycle and wears a helmet. I only hope the young girl here didn't suffer too much before she passed.

For those of you saying things like som nam nah, have a word. Kids at such a young age are ALWAYS innocent

Couldn't find any more on "Stickboy" website but could it be that the "little Australian girl Sonya" was from George's previous marriage?

Would this explain why she was on "holiday" in Thailand?

Sure the article says "grandmother" killed too, but maybe actually her step-grandmother?

My reason to think a bit deeper about this is a concern about the extra tragic grief for her probable "Aussie" mother whose little one wont ever be coming back from a holiday?

Of the hundreds being killed daily world wide, many hearts have been touched in this forum about one dear little girl.

Peace "little Sonya Davis".

From the Chiang Rai Times

"Litte Sonya Davis from Australia, was visiting her grandparents at their north Thailand farm for the school holidays with her parents George and Somepong Davis and her six-year-old brother Justin,"

Nothing what makes your thoughts more plausible. Anyway, sad story. sad.png

They started a crowd funding to raise 15k to get the girl home for burial....its now at just over 17k....people never fail to amaze me with their niceness, despite the screwed up world we live in currently.

What a cutie sonya is too....what a horrible thing to happen to an innocent.

Another tragic loss of life on the roads of Thailand.

Turning right in Thailand s just about the most dangerous manoeuvre you can undertake, most people seem to think that cutting across in front of oncoming traffic is the way to do it, absolute madness, but totally accepted. The only was to safely turn right on bike is to pull in to the left and wait until there are no cars/bikes coming from behind you and of course, no oncoming traffic coming the other way. It's a pain in the ass, but at least you'll live to ride another day here as you cannot trust the mad men and woman that take to the roads here.

RIP

KB

About three years ago they put up a dozen or more signs saying helmets required along the entrance road to Chiang Rai high school and I suspect it was some government issued signs. The signs are still there but there are also still more kids riding without helmets than with them.

In front of the Chiang Rai main public hospital is a sign that says in Thai and English..."helmet zone"...a little too late to be wearing the helmet into the hospital i suspect.

Sad it is that the kids don't generally wear helmets but is it any surprise when they see their teachers, parents, aunts, uncles and sometimes even the police NOT wearing a helmet that they also don't wear them.

I have told my students over and over that a helmet can really really help protect them in accidents and tell them about my accident where i landed on my head but fortunately had on a good helmet and lived to tell about it....maybe just maybe a couple of them listen to me but it is really a tough sell when all around they see Thai adults not wearing helmets.

Helmets won't stop deaths or serious injuries but they have been proven beyond doubt to reduce numbers a lot.

Of course many may remember in the USA and other countries it was a long struggle to convince a lot of people to wear a seat belt...many people had a lot of excuses like i may be trapped in a burning car, it messes up my clothes, it is an infringement on my freedoms and similar such BS. However after years and years of cops handing out tickets, after click it or ticket programs nationwide, and after untold news stories confirming that seat belts save lives the vast majority of drivers do wear the seat belts. It really has become a total habit now and most drivers don't even think about buckling seat belts when they get in the car...it just becomes part of a routine.

It will be a long long struggle in Thailand to convince everyone to wear helmets but it can be done via a lot of enforcement and adults setting an example. But first there has to be a will to do it backed by no BS enforcement and education and the adults are the ones who have to demand it.

I would be willing to bet the farm that the poor kid didn't have helmet on or even if she did bet it wasn't strapped to her head. May she RIP......

I notice many time when I driving car that thai people fail to check in the mirror if cars approaching from behind when they turn right. They just turn without even use the turn signal and hope for the best.

RIP to the little girl and her grandmother.

so many pointless comments for what is simply a tragic accident.

RIP

I bet it was a human error who caused the accident, if Thais get more education in driving skills many life could be saved. Unfortunately that's never gone happen so we must be prepared to read this kind of news every day.

Yeah well done, just what the parents need at this moment in time. Finger pointing!

You right, on this parents not helping the finger pointing, but those hundreds, not only Thais who take children to motorbike (sometimes couple of month old children), maybe they thinking after this. But i don't think so.

A lot of people are missing the point here, having a 2, 3, 4 or 5 year old as a passenger on a bike here in Thailand is quite normal - what you are missing is that they do not have an option, the motorbike is the only family transport, they do not have the luxury of SUV's and strapped in child seats, just real life here for the majority of people.

Correct, it's ok for the all the western computer jockeys sitting at the desk or in the bar with heaps of money to burn when ever they want - but just bear in mind to many rural Thais the only means of transport is foot or a bike - either pedal or motorised, I'm sure they would love a new SUV or Bema or merc to posed in while they had nothing better to do..,

Another tragic loss of life on the roads of Thailand.

Turning right in Thailand s just about the most dangerous manoeuvre you can undertake, most people seem to think that cutting across in front of oncoming traffic is the way to do it, absolute madness, but totally accepted. The only was to safely turn right on bike is to pull in to the left and wait until there are no cars/bikes coming from behind you and of course, no oncoming traffic coming the other way. It's a pain in the ass, but at least you'll live to ride another day here as you cannot trust the mad men and woman that take to the roads here.

RIP

KB

Left to right with turning light given in time and slowing down and looking in the mirror before moving to the left, let the fast traffic pass, is ok,

BUT there are some motorbike driver, which not look have no mirror or think, they just move now from left to right - no matter what!bah.gif

That are the drivers, mostly motorbike drivers, who make me angry and with whom I had 2 accidents already. blink.png

Tragic - RIP

BUT- i would also say - som-nam-na!

What did the 5 year old do on a bike?

Did any one of the 2 have a helmet? i guess not!

after all this is Thailand

wai2.gif

REALLY: Som-nam-na is so inappropriate in this set of circumstances; it almost makes me sick to acknowledge an individual with such a demented thought process. The lack of helmets did not cause the fatal injuries involved by the car impacting (rear ending) the pair from behind. Throw a RIP in there, to make yourself feel better about your agitative post makes it even more sickening. As per all 'normal' 5 year old Thais do for transport with Thai family they ride on motorbikes (or the whole family) as they do not have the finances to afford other means (or the ease of such) of transportation - ignorance must be bliss. Next time you ride 'your motorbike' past a truck & trailer consider this preaching about helmets and the insignificance of a brain bucket and 30-40 tonnes. 100% helmets in the daylight hours to avoid penalty notices from RTP. The sadness here is the level of corruption involved to achieve such a simplistic method of directing bulk traffic at speed through such a ridiculous method of U-turn procedure. The other tragedy is the lack of thought involved in your post, you're anything but funny and your observation is skewed. The facts are a little girl has died along with her grandmother, you insinuating or blaming the deceased most defiantly shows ignorance as well as it p!sses me right off. My Buddha

About three years ago they put up a dozen or more signs saying helmets required along the entrance road to Chiang Rai high school and I suspect it was some government issued signs. The signs are still there but there are also still more kids riding without helmets than with them.

At Chiang Mai University they won't let you enter through the gates unless both driver and passenger(s) are wearing helmets, no exceptions.

I have been informed from people at the highest levels of administration that the health-care/tourism sector is to be heavily promoted in the coming years of the "administration", consequently, one of the largest growth areas in tourist areas has been in health care facilities, from small fly by night patch up places to moderately well equipped small to medium size hospitals. All privately operated, and all heavily reliant on a malleable travel insurance relationship. Thus there is no impetus to reduce road accidents, when it is a simple fact that accidents, and the grief of others pays the bills. No one (of "importance") in Thailand makes any money in a land devoid of death. Thailand is "managed" by the underbelly. Crime pays. Innocents die, and the money that should be going to legitimate business people, is being stolen by unscrupulous, villainous monsters. I say this with a heavy heart, because it is getting worse by the day. And had the law been implemented this child would be alive. /RANT