No chance of snow in Thailand, meteorologist confirms

webfact

No Chance of Snow in Thailand, Meteorologist Confirms
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14537971081453797139l.jpg
The view Tuesday morning from Doi Changmoob, located next to the Thai border with Myanmar in Chiang Rai, where the temperature fell to minus 3C.

CHIANG RAI — Netizens’ hope to see a white winter melted away today.

Following snowballing rumors on social media that northern Thailand would soon be blanketed in snow, meteorologist Sri Chaiyathon said it’s not going to happen, because it’s not possible.

Snowy speculation first surfaced Jan. 22 when some Pantip users noticed snow forecast by some online services over some parts of the north such as Doi Inthanon, the nation’s highest peak. Subzero temperatures recorded in the northern mountains also fueled imaginations.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1453797108

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-26

Seen some Brass Monkeys looking for something in the grass but !

regards Worgeordie

I know i will sound like a jerk here so please forgive me.But just got to tell every one because it is a common mistake.

On ships years ago with cannons aboard,they had to store the cannon balls on shelves or trays. These shelves or trays were made of brass.and were called monkeys.. When it got really cold the brass monkeys would contract and the balls would fall off of the shelves or trays. Strange but true.

regards Worgeordie

I know i will sound like a jerk here so please forgive me.But just got to tell every one because it is a common mistake.

On ships years ago with cannons aboard,they had to store the cannon balls on shelves or trays. These shelves or trays were made of brass.and were called monkeys.. When it got really cold the brass monkeys would contract and the balls would fall off of the shelves or trays. Strange but true.

Thank you for the explanation - I wondered why people here on TVF now started talking about monkeys made of brass when it gets cold.

Your explanation make sense, but it appears then that Worgeordie is talking about a brass shelf looking for something in the grass, and that does not make any sense at all.

Interesting how this weather guy says it could never happen. Of course it could happen if the weather conditions are suitable. Recently the world has seen drastic changes in climate so for him to say it will never happen is quite simply B*&ll#KS!! He needs to take his head out of his backside!

regards Worgeordie

Maybe true but very disillusioning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_monkey_%28colloquialism%29

I knew it!

Edited by cooked

I'd be curious if snow would be an occasion for them to wear socks and shoes/boots as opposed to pretending to be penguins with jacket, scarf, pullover and what not.....and still walk around with flip flops and no socks clap2.gif

Come on, nearly every Thai knows it's a serious fashion crime to wear socks and sandals or flip-flops.

Very unusual weather in Ban Dung, Udon Thani province at the moment- heavy rain and a cold biting wind. I've seen rain in January now and again.not often mind, but rarely with such cold weather.

Thai university science department forgot to explain the temp. at which water freezes , is also the low temp.

not uncommon in Thailand. Add mositure to this and the impossible becomes reality and does produce what some call hail, sleet, and even snow.

guess this weather spokesman missed class that day, if he ever attended a uni or maybe he majored in cooking.

He may be right in that its impossible to snow there. another example of the expertise required to have a civil job in

this country from teacher to those who recruit the'' potential inactive post employee''

Edited by slapout

attachicon.gifvanmae.jpg

Hi, I'm Vanessa Mae and I am half Thai.violin.gif

Now where's that damn snow?

Wikipedia says Vanessa-Mae was born on 27 October 1978 in Singapore, to a Singaporean mother and Thai father. Funny because I would have sworn I read she was part Vietnamese and Chinese also, recent relatives not hundreds of years ago ancestry

Thai university science department forgot to explain the temp. at which water freezes , is also the low temp.

not uncommon in Thailand. Add mositure to this and the impossible becomes reality and does produce what some call hail, sleet, and even snow.

guess this weather spokesman missed class that day, if he ever attended a uni or maybe he majored in cooking.

He may be right in that its impossible to snow there. another example of the expertise required to have a civil job in

this country from teacher to those who recruit the'' potential inactive post employee''

I think you walked out before the end?

snow, sleet and hail are formed in different ways.

Snow is formed in the atmosphere and requires the right conditions, moisture and temperatures both in the air and above and on the ground to fall....just because it is below freezing on the surface is not the only factor.

Edited by cumgranosalum

regards Worgeordie

I heard this story pre-internet...it is now of course a well-known "e-rumour" - but with no real evidence to back it up.

"According to the United States Navy Historical Center, this is a legend of the sea without historical justification. The center has researched this because of the questions it gets and says the term “brass monkey” and a vulgar reference to the effect of cold on the monkey’s extremities, appears to have originated in the book “Before the Mast” by C.A. Abbey. It was said that it was so cold that it would “freeze the tail off a brass monkey.” The Navy says there is no evidence that the phrase had anything to do with ships or ships with cannon balls."

I'd be curious if snow would be an occasion for them to wear socks and shoes/boots as opposed to pretending to be penguins with jacket, scarf, pullover and what not.....and still walk around with flip flops and no socks clap2.gif

Come on, nearly every Thai knows it's a serious fashion crime to wear socks and sandals or flip-flops.

Very unusual weather in Ban Dung, Udon Thani province at the moment- heavy rain and a cold biting wind. I've seen rain in January now and again.not often mind, but rarely with such cold weather.

Here in Phitsanulok today, the temperature is hovering around 16 or 17 and there's lashings of rain... ??

regards Worgeordie

Thank you for the explanation - I wondered why people here on TVF now started talking about monkeys made of brass when it gets cold.

Your explanation make sense, but it appears then that Worgeordie is talking about a brass shelf looking for something in the grass, and that does not make any sense at all.

The expression is "It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey". The origin explained above is correct. However, these days, and for some time, it has had a dual meaning, especially as canon balls are no longer used.