No chance of snow in Thailand, meteorologist confirms

webfact

I'd be curious if snow would be an occasion for them to wear socks and shoes/boots as opposed to pretending to be penguins with jacket, scarf, pullover and what not.....and still walk around with flip flops and no socks clap2.gif

Come on, nearly every Thai knows it's a serious fashion crime to wear socks and sandals or flip-flops.

Very unusual weather in Ban Dung, Udon Thani province at the moment- heavy rain and a cold biting wind. I've seen rain in January now and again.not often mind, but rarely with such cold weather.

Couldn't give a monkey's (brass balls or not). If my feet are cold I'll wear socks!

Who cares what fashion dictates anyway?

A Thai friend used to be posted at the radar-station, up on the top of Doi Inthanon, and he claimed to have seen sleet & snow up there several times.

But perhaps he was mistaken, or Doi Inthanon isn't in Thailand, because "its not possible". wink.png

Seen some Brass Monkeys looking for something in the grass but !

regards Worgeordie

I know i will sound like a jerk here so please forgive me.But just got to tell every one because it is a common mistake.

On ships years ago with cannons aboard,they had to store the cannon balls on shelves or trays. These shelves or trays were made of brass.and were called monkeys.. When it got really cold the brass monkeys would contract and the balls would fall off of the shelves or trays. Strange but true.

Actually, there are a few explanations as to where this expression originated. But I still like worgeordie's comment. ( it sounds reasonable in this weather )

Seen some Brass Monkeys looking for something in the grass but !

regards Worgeordie

I know i will sound like a jerk here so please forgive me.But just got to tell every one because it is a common mistake.

On ships years ago with cannons aboard,they had to store the cannon balls on shelves or trays. These shelves or trays were made of brass.and were called monkeys.. When it got really cold the brass monkeys would contract and the balls would fall off of the shelves or trays. Strange but true.

Thank you for the explanation - I wondered why people here on TVF now started talking about monkeys made of brass when it gets cold.

Your explanation make sense, but it appears then that Worgeordie is talking about a brass shelf looking for something in the grass, and that does not make any sense at all.

The expression is "It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey". The origin explained above is correct. However, these days, and for some time, it has had a dual meaning, especially as canon balls are no longer used.

As pointed it is urban myth.

I'd be curious if snow would be an occasion for them to wear socks and shoes/boots as opposed to pretending to be penguins with jacket, scarf, pullover and what not.....and still walk around with flip flops and no socks clap2.gif

In Prasat, Surin, near Cambodia and very far from any mountains, it got down to about 60F once, maybe 58F.

I'm from Florida, and had been in Pattaya for months and I was chilly.

Father-in-Law comes out at 0600 hrs wearing a US Army field jacket, shorts, and flip-flops.

------------

The Indians/Bangladeshis/Pakistanis were fantastic to watch in Kuwait, which gets down to freezing on occasion.

The doorman at my condo would wear a bandanna around his head to keep his ears warm, but mostly looked like he had a sore tooth or a broken jaw....and flip-flops.

Edited by jaywalker

Reports of "snow" in Thailand usually turn out to be hail. quite a different thing and common in tropics/sub-tropics.

one problem is that most of the people who "identify" it have never seen snow.

Have you bothered to read my post and see photos ?

post-88770-0-47196200-1453893564_thumb.j

post-88770-0-46982100-1453893589_thumb.j

Reports of "snow" in Thailand usually turn out to be hail. quite a different thing and common in tropics/sub-tropics.

Yes - looks like hail to me.

do you have the location and date?

Yes - I thought so!

"Old photo of Doi Inthanon after a hailstorm in May 2013" HAIL - not SNOW

Yes - I thought so!

"Old photo of Doi Inthanon after a hailstorm in May 2013" HAIL - not SNOW

Sorry my mistake, I took it from Facebook uploaded the day before. I apologise

Edited by generealty