Long Tail Outboard Motors

I was looking at outboard motor prices from know brands like Mercury, Honda, Yamaha (15 HP) and the likes to mount on a 14 foot fishing boat. When I saw the prices (150$ and up per horsepower) I thought a cheaper alternative would be one of those long tail outboard motors Thais use. Repair shops may also be a lot easier to find and parts cheaper to replace.

Does anyone know where you can buy those around Pattaya/Chonburi?

Thanks,

Tony the sailor man. Toot toot! W3870-Popeye-M.jpg

Edited by Tony Clifton

Funny, I happened to see that website today before posting this topic. That website is from the US, prices almost comparable to a regular outboard motor. Pretty sure the localy manufactured equivalent can easily beat those prices.

Thanks.

Looking forward to going fishing around here, I'm drawing plans to get a custom made metal rack made so I can carry the fishing boat upside down on the truck. :o

Are you talking about the big truck engines? If you are in Bangkok you may find many places working on these engines in the Sam Yan neighborhood (in the area between the National Stadium and Rama IV Road, not far from the Sam Yan metro station). According to a report at http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/31/where...lands_hybr.html

"It's not well known that those boats originate from a change in the British government's motor vehicle Construction and Use Regulations in the late 1960s. What with the new motorway construction programme well under way, the (largely old) truck fleet had begun to get in the way. So the then Ministry of Transport introduced a minimum power-to-weight ratio. This meant that a ton of trucks with Gardner LX 105hp (mostly) or Perkins P4 engines suddenly became obsolete..."

Or are you talking about the small engines? In which case something like these Yanmar horizontal water-cooled diesels may be what you're looking for.

Measured the boat, it's a 12 footer, not 14.

This is the kind of motor I meant.

pho_04.jpg

pho_02.jpg

engi02.jpg

Honda used to call it ME or ZE engine. General purpose engines. The fame of Honda has apparently seen many other local companies producing similar engines with the same red&white look.

There are probably shops where they are sold with shaft and propeller or build-your-own kits.

Edited by Tony Clifton

There are probably shops where they are sold with shaft and propeller or build-your-own kits.

Correct

Ive watched the local fisherman build the longtail engines you show in the picture.

They start of by buying in a samall (5-13hp) 4 stoke engine (honda generator type) , they then have a frame gimble and handle made, next they buy in a shaft and propeller, chain and sprockets and assemble the unit.

There are lots of shops supplying all the components in Suratthani (not much use to you) as the local fishing fleet is mostly longtail boats.

If I were you I would go and look around the shops where your local fishing fleet harbours / anchors up.

Good luck

MM

Edited by mosquitoman

Measured the boat, it's a 12 footer, not 14.

This is the kind of motor I meant.

pho_04.jpg

pho_02.jpg

engi02.jpg

Honda used to call it ME or ZE engine. General purpose engines. The fame of Honda has apparently seen many other local companies producing similar engines with the same red&white look.

Yeah, that's the one I was talking about. The shaft and prop is about 7,000 Baht at farm supply places that sell motors, pumps, sprayers weedwhackers , tractors and the like. You pick the motor. My recollection is the Honda 13hp is about 15,000 Baht.

Saw some very professionally made engine and shaft assemblies at a large festival show ground.The stands also had spray equipment and other small agricultural equipment Prices were from 15000b to 33000b.

If you look at engines assembies on a lot of small fishing boats they seem to have almost home made shaft and pivots so It is likely that in many areas using these engines you will find a local man building conversions

Looks like I found one! One of our employees father is selling his land along the river and is asking 5000 baht for a Yanmar with long shaft. :D

I have no idea what condition it's in or how many HP but seems like a good deal for a first motor for the boat.

I'll post a pic when I get to see it this week.

Now, time to prepare the fishig gear. :o

Looks like I found one! One of our employees father is selling his land along the river and is asking 5000 baht for a Yanmar with long shaft. :D

I have no idea what condition it's in or how many HP but seems like a good deal for a first motor for the boat.

I'll post a pic when I get to see it this week.

Now, time to prepare the fishig gear. :D

Sounds good mate, I wonder what the details are?

About the long tail and the land for sale :o