BBC - why no Thai?

Cloggie

I can't remember when but around 9 ??? years ago, the BBC closed down many of its foreign language services. One of the key drivers behind which language services to shut down was the access the population had to international unbiased news. Another was the relative political importance of the nations that speak the language.

Thai was one of those that got the chop. Burmese was kept on. However, I do believe BBC has now resumed a minimal Thai language service using Twitter and Facebook.

I hope that explains adequately.

wai2.gif

Edited by Briggsy

I can't remember when but around 9 ??? years ago, the BBC closed down many of its foreign language services. One of the key drivers behind which language services to shut down was the access the population had to international unbiased news. Another was the relative political importance of the nations that speak the language.

Thai was one of those that got the chop. Burmese was kept on. However, I do believe BBC has now resumed a minimal Thai language service using Twitter and Facebook.

I hope that explains adequately.

wai2.gif

unbiased news from the BBC, now that's a first

We get Fox it is a notch down from BBC for reliability. Just believe every tenth post on it and you will get the same quality you had on BBC.

Fox do not offer a Thai language service. This is the focus of this thread.

There used to be BBC English radio learning programmes in Thai that were rebroadcast by some Thai stations (e.g The Way In). But when the BBC pulled out they stopped these transmissions, so even less opportunity for Thais to learn English. I also used to listen to the same radio programmes in Laos but in the Laos language. I suppose these are still broadcast?

Thanks for all your opinions, still strange that it is available in Hausa, Kinyarwanda, Kirundi, Pashto, Sinhala, Somali - didn't even know these languages existed.....

I only knew of Sinhala (it's Sri Lankan). The rest I had to Google...

Edit: ...and I am well known as a cunning linguist.

Edited by BudRight

I am a former employee of the BBC. I am also a licence fee payer. I am also English and I am also convinced that the BBC is either incompetent to deliver the news or censors to the pint of ridiculum.

Here is a small list of what I am talking about.

1) BBC - News at 6pm - (4 Main News Features - Non-commital weather analysis. 22 minutes of sport news). + Local News

2) Sky News at 6pm - 1) (7 Main News Features - Good weather analysis. 4 minutes of sport news). - Local News

3) ITVNews at 6.30pm - 1) (5 Main News Features - OK weather analysis. 6 minutes of sport news) - Local News

4) Al Jazeera News at 6pm - 1) 10 Main News Features - Good weather analysis. 8 minutes of sport news). - Local News

5) Channel 4 News - 14 In Depth and +1 Exclusive Main News Features - Fantastic weather analysis. 8 minutes of sport news).- Local News

Result Channel 4 news at 7pm is the best news outlet. Whatever the BBC are doing, is not working.