Military called in as Phuket sea gypsies injured in land claim clash

snoop1130

Military called in as Phuket sea gypsies injured in land claim clash
Eakkapop Thongtub

post-249866-0-20936800-1453895581_thumb.

PHUKET: -- Vice Governor Chokdee Amornwat has ordered a security detail to maintain peace at the sea gypsy community in Rawai after several villagers were injured in clashes with private workers hired to clear the area for private development this morning (Jan 27).

Military personnel led by Lt Col Sompop Kamkana of the Royal Thai Navy secured the area at about 11:30am, while V/Gov Chokdee and Rawai Mayor Aroon Solos spoke with villagers.

When they arrived, rescue workers were busy transporting villagers injured in the clashes to medical facilities nearby.

More than 200 villagers, including women and children, had gathered at the site, where officials were told that that the fight broke when more than 100 workers started to clear the land with a backhoe and excavators.

Villagers attempted to stop the workers from using an excavator from placing rocks to block off the entrance to the land, which resulted in the workers and villagers trading blows.

Chatree Madsatun, the legal representative of Baron World Trade Co Ltd, which claims to own the land, said the company had full rights to the land and had a Chanote land title deed to prove it.

“The Phuket Provincial Land Office conducted a survey of the area on August 13 last year and confirmed at an official meeting that the company had full right to the land, and there many meetings have been held to discuss this matter, but most of the time representatives from the village failed to attend,” he said.

The company built a wall to prevent sea gypsies from trespassing on the land, but the wall was pulled down on June 20, 2015. Large rocks were then placed there to keep villagers out, he explained.

Mr Chatree confirmed that the company will pay all medical expenses for the villagers injured in the clashes.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/military-called-in-as-phuket-sea-gypsies-injured-in-land-claim-clash-55957.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-27

Amazing how long this dispute has been going on without the court/police being able to solve it. It's not the first time violence has been involved either.

I don't care who is right or wrong in this case. But it really shows that Phuket still cannot manage itself properly on some fundamental level. The army having to stop a fight instills great confidence within tourists during high season, I'm sure...

Isn't this the job of the police? Just kidding smile.png

From the article I read yesterday that the Chalong Police and Army were backing the company that somehow holds a Chanote Title to land that the Sea Gypsies have occupied for over 100 years, I thought things might turn ugly. It did. Now the Navy is defending the Sea Gypsies. From other articles I've read, the DSI has backed the Sea Gypsies claims with forensic evidence, old aerial photos, photos of the King visiting before there were any Chanote Titles to the land and turned the evidence over to the courts, which still haven't made a decision.

Yet “The Phuket Provincial Land Office conducted a survey of the area on August 13 last year and confirmed at an official meeting that the company had full right to the land, and there many meetings have been held to discuss this matter, but most of the time representatives from the village failed to attend,” he said.

How many other dodgy land titles has this same office handed out over the years. The Paradise Beach land, National Park lands and I'm sure many others... What happened to the investigations on those titles, former governors and officials of the PPLO?

From the article I read yesterday that the Chalong Police and Army were backing the company that somehow holds a Chanote Title to land that the Sea Gypsies have occupied for over 100 years, I thought things might turn ugly. It did. Now the Navy is defending the Sea Gypsies. From other articles I've read, the DSI has backed the Sea Gypsies claims with forensic evidence, old aerial photos, photos of the King visiting before there were any Chanote Titles to the land and turned the evidence over to the courts, which still haven't made a decision.

Yet The Phuket Provincial Land Office conducted a survey of the area on August 13 last year and confirmed at an official meeting that the company had full right to the land, and there many meetings have been held to discuss this matter, but most of the time representatives from the village failed to attend, he said.

How many other dodgy land titles has this same office handed out over the years. The Paradise Beach land, National Park lands and I'm sure many others... What happened to the investigations on those titles, former governors and officials of the PPLO?

And as we all know, wealthy businessmen on Phuket would never try to obtain land ownership by whatever means available for self benefit and the land titles office has never issued dodgy titles before.

I think we will eventually hear more to the story and it will involve some former corruption. So, just a normal day in Phuket.