What Would You Do?

Dogberry

The system is flawed I agree but will remain flawed if no one does anything about it I really can't see what the problem of giving the cops a few thousand so you get 20000. Am I missing something here.

That is a slippery slope my friend. I have paid off the cops in Mexico many times, mostly for trafffic infractions that I deserved. Now those guys in Mexico (at that time anyway) had nothing. They obtained their operating budget by taking a little off the top. You know, I was happy to pay a convenience fee and be on my way. Then three years in the Philippines where stopping foreigners is an industry. They recognized my vehicle and automatically stopped me. It was all "we'll take your car, we'll confiscate your motorcycle, we'll lose your passport for you, we'll re-leave you of your life" kind of interaction. My neighbors and I could hardly go out. (I understand it's improved since but that's another topic)

You know what they say about cops and criminals... cut from the same cloth... anyway I just can't accept paying a bad guy to get another bad guy.

I'm not judging someones choice to do that. It's just right now, for me, it is wrong in my sense of the world.

Your choice of course, so short of that next time make sure you have 1st class insurance. And this is Thailand police not Mexico or Philippines. And in the original post seems they did there job by laying the blame on him. So it follows they would act for you. But as I said your choice.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The system is flawed I agree but will remain flawed if no one does anything about it I really can't see what the problem of giving the cops a few thousand so you get 20000. Am I missing something here.

Am I too cynical?

No.

Since a bit of revenge seems to be part of your motive, find a cop and offer to split whatever he can get for you 50/50. You'll probably get at least some dough out of it, create a big pain in the ass for the other driver, and establish a friendship with a cop whom you can call on in the future.

If the other driver ups 1/2 the money to the cop to make the problem go away, you could always find yet another cop to give it his best shot 50/50. Could become a long term source of entertainment, and an interesting set of ThaiVisa posts.

Have fun!

Here is my answer from experience you will not like it!

Your are a Farang, I can tell you when the police took the report they knew with 100% certainty that this guy had no money. Majority of these types of driver do not carry insurance or carry a license, what for? Guys like this gets a slap on the hand and continue what they are doing. The police and culture mentality is they got to make a living. Same type of reasoning they use to allow kids to ride their motorbikes to school. Why the sidecart do not have to be up to standard or register. How to you get something when you are scraping the bottom of the barrel. Nothing there!

You should have called your Insurance agent so he could come out and help with the report.. this way when the report is made the agent would have told you after seeing the guy that there isn't any money to repair or replace the vehicle. Now you are up DELETED creek as they say! Sorry! it is going to be pulling teeth to get a replacement and insurance being here you aren't going to be getting full value? Good luck

Edited by seedy
language

My wife's brother is a Police Captain - so I would call the Wife if alone. Or she would call him. But Seriously - get at least class 2 insurance - 2+ better - if they will not sell you class 1. As soon as an accident happens, admit nothing, call the Insurance company - whose name is in your cell phone isn't it ? and do nothing until he/she gets there. Leave it all to them.

What would I do?

Offer you my sympathy. And suggest maybe 1st class insurance next time?

Thanks man I'm just so glad nobody was hurt. At the time this rolling wreak of a Corolla came into our possession I considered the insurance options. But this car was truly a mess. The engine was shot, the transmission slipped and the lights barely worked (I believe it was a floater in some Bangkok flood), and every panel on it was covered in bondo... but it had good tires and stopped on demand. Honestly I would value it a about 1000 dollars salvage. So I opted for the minimum insurance .... hummm.

My wife's brother is a Police Captain - so I would call the Wife if alone. Or she would call him. But Seriously - get at least class 2 insurance - 2+ better - if they will not sell you class 1. As soon as an accident happens, admit nothing, call the Insurance company - whose name is in your cell phone isn't it ? and do nothing until he/she gets there. Leave it all to them.

Yeah that insurance choice for the old beater was a mistake

It's kinka like that old saying no good deed goes unpunished or maybe its just bad CAR-Ma...

For sure the new Nissan has 1st class !....

wow... sorry for your situation..

if you don't have first class insurance.. it's kinda hard to do anything really..

unless of course u know where the man works. if he was driving a company vehicle.. probably best to go after the company

then again it really depends on how much $$ we are talking about.. if it is 20,000thb or so.. i would not bother.. the hassle itself won't be worth it.. plus no guarantees you will get even 1 baht back!

good luck!

Since a bit of revenge seems to be part of your motive, find a cop and offer to split whatever he can get for you 50/50. You'll probably get at least some dough out of it, create a big pain in the ass for the other driver, and establish a friendship with a cop whom you can call on in the future.

If the other driver ups 1/2 the money to the cop to make the problem go away, you could always find yet another cop to give it his best shot 50/50. Could become a long term source of entertainment, and an interesting set of ThaiVisa posts.

Have fun!

I love it man that is the ANSWER! But you know what? I already feel better... and I feel like revenge is mine. "Why, I told that guy off on ThaiVisa!" AND some other guys commiserated about it!.. HAHA I win.

wow... sorry for your situation..

if you don't have first class insurance.. it's kinda hard to do anything really..

unless of course u know where the man works. if he was driving a company vehicle.. probably best to go after the company

then again it really depends on how much $$ we are talking about.. if it is 20,000thb or so.. i would not bother.. the hassle itself won't be worth it.. plus no guarantees you will get even 1 baht back!

good luck!

Thanks man...

It was 20000.

yup I'm officially over it as of today!

Brand New Isuzu Cargo hauler pick-up. He is either rich and paid cash for it -or- it's financed and there's an insurance policy somewhere...

I think one of has missed something. Please point out to me anywhere in this thread where it is stated that the offending vehicle was a "brand new Isuzu cargo hauler pick up"

I want peace and I want revenge! I know nothing about this guy, rich or poor. I know he's never been incentivized to obtain a drivers licence and driving a commercial vehicle with-out insurance seems normal. I guess.

No death, no injury, the police will do nothing.

Pay a lawyer and I might get something back just to have him disappear again.

Look, this was an old car that cost me nothing... a gift from family. Never-the-less It had a value. I actually got more back from the salvage guy than I had invested in it. I had the standard government insurance.

My inclination and my probable course will be to let it go for 20,000 baht.

But man that chaffes me.

Walk away. Not only did this useless knob total your car, he is now living in your head rent-free. Sounds like you were made whole financially by the salvage people. Go help some desperately poor people and get your mind off the irresponsible and inconsiderate trucker. Remember, you are a guest here in Thailand and the prevailing attitude is that the accident never would have happened had you stayed in your own country.

Chase it up with the cops. Might cost you a couple of thou but they'll get it

Perhaps the other guy has already paid the bib, thus no chance for OP.

Sir, I believe you may be correct in that assessment.

Or the local police are "family" with the other guy...

This is kind of a follow-up to my original nebulous question. Yeah I was looking for specific nuts and bolts and I got some good advise. Thank you

I was also questioning my motivation for revenge but was quickly put in my place. Thank you doubly Colin.

I was worried about justice and realized it doesn't matter except in how I deal it out. Corruption is wrong, Graft and bribes are wrong. There is no special THAINESS corruption that makes it different from Mexico or the Philippines or anywhere else. It's a sad reality worldwide.

I'm happy to be here to have a laugh about it.

Brand New Isuzu Cargo hauler pick-up. He is either rich and paid cash for it -or- it's financed and there's an insurance policy somewhere...

I think one of has missed something. Please point out to me anywhere in this thread where it is stated that the offending vehicle was a "brand new Isuzu cargo hauler pick up"

AH sorry it was me the OP that said that. The offending vehicle was a new Isuzu. Loaded to the max. Hauling ass.

I want peace and I want revenge! I know nothing about this guy, rich or poor. I know he's never been incentivized to obtain a drivers licence and driving a commercial vehicle with-out insurance seems normal. I guess.

No death, no injury, the police will do nothing.

Pay a lawyer and I might get something back just to have him disappear again.

Look, this was an old car that cost me nothing... a gift from family. Never-the-less It had a value. I actually got more back from the salvage guy than I had invested in it. I had the standard government insurance.

My inclination and my probable course will be to let it go for 20,000 baht.

But man that chaffes me.

Walk away. Not only did this useless knob total your car, he is now living in your head rent-free.

Oh boy is that a cool thing to say or what. Thank you. Perspective.

I was involved in an accident last month (as a passenger fwiw), and technically as law says here our party would be the one at fault since we were the ones who tapped the vehicle in front despite their road behaviour...

Anyway, we had 1st class insurance, and the vehicle we hit 'used' to have 1st class also, but it had expired. Insurance company says something along the lines of "no drama since you're insured, and the other party even though they're not insured, used to be insured with the same company so no problem" (well that's my interpretation, and since the bill will be paid from our side anyhow I guess they weren't too worried).

In your case I would hope that a decent insurance contract would cover any eventualities (though 1st class doesn't appear to be as good as 'fully comprehensive' as I understand it in my home country - not sure that's even available here). For example, in our case there was no temporary car while the original was being repaired, no assist in getting to destination, no delivery of vehicle after repair (several hours away each direction).

For 20K, personally I'd let it lie, though it depends on the individual if that is a significant enough amount of money to put time into to recover. I prefer the simple life, and so long as people chiselling a couple of wood chips out of me isn't too painful, I'd let it slide and just take them off my christmas card list (not that I have one).

I was involved in an accident last month (as a passenger fwiw), and technically as law says here our party would be the one at fault since we were the ones who tapped the vehicle in front despite their road behaviour...

Anyway, we had 1st class insurance, and the vehicle we hit 'used' to have 1st class also, but it had expired. Insurance company says something along the lines of "no drama since you're insured, and the other party even though they're not insured, used to be insured with the same company so no problem" (well that's my interpretation, and since the bill will be paid from our side anyhow I guess they weren't too worried).

In your case I would hope that a decent insurance contract would cover any eventualities (though 1st class doesn't appear to be as good as 'fully comprehensive' as I understand it in my home country - not sure that's even available here). For example, in our case there was no temporary car while the original was being repaired, no assist in getting to destination, no delivery of vehicle after repair (several hours away each direction).

For 20K, personally I'd let it lie, though it depends on the individual if that is a significant enough amount of money to put time into to recover. I prefer the simple life, and so long as people chiselling a couple of wood chips out of me isn't too painful, I'd let it slide and just take them off my christmas card list (not that I have one).

Sir, that is some serious good advise and some seriously funny chops. Hats off.

Well...you may not be able to get money out of him....but there are all kinds of creative revenge tactics that will make his head spin.

Use your imagination.

Cheers

YES!. I've been waiting for this one... I guess my naive question is paying off... this is exactly what I've had lurking in my lizard brain. I'd love a discussion of tactics...

Theoretically of course, only theoretically!!!!.

oh... wait! Damn I decided to forgive and forget! What was I thinking!

Edited by Dogberry

If you had 1st class insurance you simply contact them. In case of any accident whether your fault or not, the first thing you do is ask the other party for their licence and insurance. If they don't have it is automatically their fault as they shouldn't be on the road without a licence. Never pay the police or anyone else, not even 1 baht. That is why you have insurance, they pay whether your fault or not.

Well...you may not be able to get money out of him....but there are all kinds of creative revenge tactics that will make his head spin.

Use your imagination.

Cheers

YES!. I've been waiting for this one... I guess my naive question is paying off... this is exactly what I've had lurking in my lizard brain. I'd love a discussion of tactics...

Theoretically of course, only theoretically!!!!.

oh... wait! Damn I decided to forgive and forget! What was I thinking!

Believe me there are all kinds of revenge tactics

There are books written on the subject....such as: Getting Even...Don't Get mad, Get even, Revenge 1 , Revenge 2

I bought some of those books many, many years ago and put them to good use...while many of the get even tactics are funny...but effective.

There are some people who deserve revenge...while in your case ..I would surmise your target is a perfect candidate

Cheers

Good OP.

I would simply contact the Police and tell them he is breach of their orders. A brown paper envelope you accidentally leave in the Superintendent Office, might prove useful.

The police are useless and won`t do anything. The Thai man probably doesn`t have much money and no point in chasing him up.

May just as well write it off and call it a day.

you need to walk away from this and dont think about it again. from what i can see there are 2 options for car insurance in thailand.

drive a decent car and have full insurance.

drive an old banger and dont bother with insurance.

i do the first option but it seems you were doing the second. old/free car, not wort spending money to try to recoup a small sum.

I think every province has an office of the Damrongtham foundation or organization which is the governenent official complaint center. If you take the police report from the accident and the history of your visits to to police station to follow up they will have to register a complaint and they have to follow up. It will not make you popular at the police station but something will be done. Alternatively you could tell them at the police station that you intend to go to the Damrongtham foundation which may put a rocket up their ass. ( and possibly a target on your back )