police crackdown

zeichen

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

International licence supposed to be ok for a year here but as a thai licence is easy to get why bother all you need is a certificate of residency a doctor's certificate 250bht. Pop along to local driving /issuing authority in your area do a quick color test and reaction test and get a Thai 2 year licence. No hassle then

The OP said he's here on a tourist visa. He can't get a certificate of residency on a tourist visa.

Can never understand people who are not concerned about being properly covered for insurance and don't prepare properly for driving abroad. Baffles me how people can be so irresponsible and then have the cheek to complain when things go wrong !

You are so right

International licence supposed to be ok for a year here but as a thai licence is easy to get why bother all you need is a certificate of residency a doctor's certificate 250bht. Pop along to local driving /issuing authority in your area do a quick color test and reaction test and get a Thai 2 year licence. No hassle then

The OP said he's here on a tourist visa. He can't get a certificate of residency on a tourist visa.
really? i was getting them for years. 1st to get driving licences and then to buy motorcycles. pattaya office has issued me dozens of residents letters on a tourist visa and you have to give the reason for applying.....as well as paying the man. Edited by tomyumchai

So you have been caught after getting away with being illegal . Many dummies do this but the odds are against them now.They could have taken your bike and you would have been walking to the rental place to explain what happened.Then more cost.

in most countries , it is normal that you can drive on a foreign drivers license for a very limited amount of time. In most cases it needs to be supported by an IDP ( international drivers permit) from your home country.

Varies in countries between 30 and 90 days . This is to allow for GENUINE TOURISTS to be able to rent and drive cars.

After this limited time ........................you are driving illegally unless you obtain the domestic license.

In Australia , this applies even when you change residence to another state..................you are required to obtain a license from your state of residence.

Can never understand people who are not concerned about being properly covered for insurance and don't prepare properly for driving abroad. Baffles me how people can be so irresponsible and then have the cheek to complain when things go wrong !

These are the same mentality of people who think it is right to overstay by months or years

The Geneva Act describes the International License. There are actually 2 systems which are both accepted. You can't drive with only your local license alone.

Are you sure? I am not saying that you are incorrect as reading the Act it seems a bit ambiguous. However, the IDP, it seems to me, is not a licence but a permit which is simply a copy of your licence. However, I know that I can legally drive in the UK, USA and Ireland on my Australian driving licence. Usually a driving permit is a licence to drive if you have not received a full licence (i.e. you are a learner driver) unless you have a fully licenced driver with you.

You are correct, because the law in UK says you can use your home licence for either 60 or 90 days, I forget the figure. I believe US is the same, and know for certain that Australia, NZ and Malaysia have the same home licence is OK for 90 days. Not sure about other countries except Cambodia where the law says you have to buy a local licence (although few do) and Indonesia and Thailand - the law of both countries says that you must have your home licence PLUS an international driving permit endorsed with BIKE if you are riding one. You can only get this if your home licence is endorsed for bike. I know a lot of people who have gotten themselves an international permit for Indonesia thinking they are doing the right thing, but get pinged by the police riding a bike. I know of 2 people who have been refused insurance cover (in Indonesia), one very seriously messed up in a bush hospital for a long time, there were fund raisers in Australia for him. In both Thailand and Indonesia, You are allowed to use this for up to 90 days in both countries, and if you remain in the country longer than that you have to obtain a local licence.

Insurance CAN refuse to cover you because you are not complying with local laws, but some people get lucky and it isn't checked. For me, not worth the risk.

The Geneva Act describes the International License. There are actually 2 systems which are both accepted. You can't drive with only your local license alone.

Are you sure? I am not saying that you are incorrect as reading the Act it seems a bit ambiguous. However, the IDP, it seems to me, is not a licence but a permit which is simply a copy of your licence. However, I know that I can legally drive in the UK, USA and Ireland on my Australian driving licence. Usually a driving permit is a licence to drive if you have not received a full licence (i.e. you are a learner driver) unless you have a fully licenced driver with you.

The confusion arises because an IDP has different tenure in different countries. The IDP itself is valid for eighteen months; however, in Thailand it's only valid for three months.

Having obtained a Thai DL here myself, then watched the process of my Thai GF acquiring one, it's a miracle the road toll here isn't higher.

Police crackdown? Perhaps the OP thinks everyone in Thailand is out to get him. You came to the right place for sympathy.

I was stopped today on second road, (Pattaya) asked for my licence, showed him my

Canadian license, asked if the bike was mine, told him yes and showed him the

photocopy of the green book and pointed too the insurance ticket. He did seem

a little frustrated at not fining me, and just told me to go. He did not ask to see

an international "permit". There is no Thai translation in the permit but they have been

schooled as to where the red stamp is in the motorcycle endorsement. I have

read on numerous occasions you do not need the international "permit" in Thailand and

have been stopped dozens of times with no problems. But I have also been stopped

twice and fined for not having it. So you never know. blink.png

The BIB have been enforcing the requirement to have an IDL in Chiang Mai for over a year. I got stopped a couple times and was able to talk my way out of it but in the end it was just more of a hassle than it was worth. I got both a auto and motorcycle license and only had a single entry tourist visa at the time. I needed a certificate of residency and then had to pass a test as I didn't have a motorcycle license in the US. No big deal- just Google Thai Motorcycle Drivers Test and you will find all the test questions with the answers. Review them and then go take the test. You will waste most of a morning doing it but then you get a temporary license good for 2 years which can be later renewed for 5 years.

I can't remember what I paid but it was much less than the hassle I had each time I got stopped in a traffic check point and had to talk my way out of a ticket and a fine.

Well, you are in the wrong here. Be happy the BiB let you off the hook. If you have an accident no insurance will cover you and you may even end up in jail.

Absolutely incorrect. I have driven in Thailand for more than a decade, claimed on the insurance on about five occasions (and with three different insurance companies). I only use a UK driving licence and the insurance company (every one of them) never bats an eyelid. Not even a flinch.

The requirement, I've been told on numerous occasions, is for a "valid driving licence". No need for a Thai driving licence, according to insurance.

I think you're the one who's incorrect. What you've gotten away with or "been told"'was acceptable, and even the ability to rent a car or motobike without, are all trumped by the actual requirement when and if someone suddenly decides to enforce it, no matter that it's never been enforced before. This ain't your daddy's Thailand anymore, as everyone from barowners to guesthouse operators to overstayers to visa applicants are learning..

Yet I got this "The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice:

from http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/driving-licences/

Having said that when I came here almost 21 years ago I was told by the immigration office that if I wanted to stay in Thailand, and drive a car, I had to convert my International driving licence to a Thai one and that's what I did. Since it is immigration that decides on my stay here I decided to take their word rather than local police. Not only that it so much easier showing a Thai licence than it is to argue or get fined and a Thai licence it isn't difficult to get.

See how it works out in your home country as a foreigner without a proper DL!

in the USA you can drive for up to 20 days on your home countries driving license. After that you need a local license. This is to accommodate tourists. I'm sure it's similar in all western countries.

In Australia, it's 3 months,then you classified as unlicensed and no insurer will touch you if involved in a crash.

I was stopped today on second road, (Pattaya) asked for my licence, showed him my

Canadian license, asked if the bike was mine, told him yes and showed him the

photocopy of the green book and pointed too the insurance ticket. He did seem

a little frustrated at not fining me, and just told me to go. He did not ask to see

an international "permit". There is no Thai translation in the permit but they have been

schooled as to where the red stamp is in the motorcycle endorsement. I have

read on numerous occasions you do not need the international "permit" in Thailand and

have been stopped dozens of times with no problems. But I have also been stopped

twice and fined for not having it. So you never know. blink.png

Probably looking for 'tea money' fthe bigger issue is having the correct licence to ensure your covered by the insurance company

There are two systems, one is valid for 3 years, the other (commonwealth something) only for 1 year. They both are accepted as long as you have them. I'm too lazy to look this up again now. However you may only use the international license (plus your local one) for up to 3 months after entering a foreign country. A local license alone is never sufficient, regardless how.

A couple of points to add.

1/ You can get a residency permit with a tourist visa, I have done it 3 times to buy

scooters. It is really not an issue you just need an address. Once I used the hotel I

was staying at. Now I use the lease.

2/ Because I am on a tourist visa I have to make a boarder run every 90 days that

resets the 90 day license use in country.

3/ Yes I really should get a Thai licence. It is on my list to do.

"Dont listen to the girl who sold you your policy. You need to be a legal driver.:

I have a drivers license. It has always been legal to drive here on my US license. No police have ever said in the 15 years that I have been here that I need an international license. I have insurance on the bike so please stick to the facts.

When did they change and crack down on only Thai license or International license?

There is no such thing as an international drivers license, please stop repeating it.

I cannot find the reference right now, but have read as others have stated that,

1. If both countries are signatories to the 1949 Geneva Convention, and the home country license is in English, then not International Drivers Permit is
required. I think the key factor here is that the 'Home' license be in English.

2. Certificates of Residence are available on a tourist permit, I have received two certificates in the past few months while on TR visa.

3. The Thai Drivers license (2 year) is available to those on a tourist visa, though maybe not worth it if just visiting for less than 3 months at a time.

Cheers!

if you are in country less than 6 six months thai insurance will cover you. you need a valid home country license. more than 6 months need a valid local license. insurance will check your passport to make sure if accident . there are so many expats that come and go and buy cars auto business here is 20% farang insurance companies here can not chose to be draconian. that is why so many insurance companies are the car companies.

Not sure this constitutes a crackdown.

I love how the OP failed to post praising the police the dozens of times he was let go by the police with no fine. Just the one time the law was enforced, then he's furious. Mind you the fine in Thailand is what I have in spare change in my center console. You drive without a license or pull out some piece of crap that says "International Drivers Permit" on it in a traffic stop in the States and the cop will rip it up in front of you, tow your car and write you up for driving unlicensed. And it's gonna be 3500 baht just for the ticket not 500. Add another 3000 for the tow. I got a 500 baht fine here for driving over the stop line once. Of course I was shocked to find out this was enforceable here as NO ONE stops on the stop line. I teased the cops about it and we all had a good laugh. The fine cost me the same as 2 beers in the States. Woopdeefreekindoo...

It was never legal to drive without international licence if you don't have a Thai one. Your insurance is also not worth the paper and never was, as you are driving without a valid permit.

Some people want to learn it the hard way. Go for it :).

US license is legal here. I needed an International for the car rental company. And when I travel to Vietnam. I have to have a Thai license to drive legal there.

It was never legal to drive without international licence if you don't have a Thai one. Your insurance is also not worth the paper and never was, as you are driving without a valid permit.

Some people want to learn it the hard way. Go for it smile.png.

US license is legal here. I needed an International for the car rental company. And when I travel to Vietnam. I have to have a Thai license to drive legal there.

I don't think so, but again, your risk and your money.

Thai license for Vietnam....made my day :)

Being cynical some Insurance companies will sell you a policy irrespective what type of licence you have just to get a sale.

In the UK you don't have to provide your Driving Livence to obtain Insurance but of course you sign a disclaimer which I imagine you do here but I assume it's in Thai.

You make a claim and the usual they have preferential English.

A Thai can go to the USA and (in many states), can drive on their Thai License for 90 days.....

Many states don't give a hoot whether you have an international permit on a foreign license as well. The police would just shrug. The international permit is attached to a license. They are fine without it.

seems unfair....especially since Thai's are not trained properly....to drive safely in the

Edited by slipperylobster