Small motorcycle insurance.

vogie

There are four kinds of insurance. First, second and third plus Compulsory. Third is basically an uprated Compulsory insurance with extra coverage for damage to others and a bail bond (this is your get out of being thrown in jail card for minor offences) most bike shops will be able to arrange at the same time as renewing your road tax!

Compulsory insurance and road tax is about 400b. Third class including tax should be under 1,000b

There are four kinds of insurance. First, second and third plus Compulsory. Third is basically an uprated Compulsory insurance with extra coverage for damage to others and a bail bond (this is your get out of being thrown in jail card for minor offences) most bike shops will be able to arrange at the same time as renewing your road tax!

Compulsory insurance and road tax is about 400b. Third class including tax should be under 1,000b

Thanks for the help, I will get on to it tout suite.

For a Raider 150, I paid 750 baht for tags and insurance. Not sure what class ins. that paid for.

Yes paid pretty much the same at the local bike shop + a few hundred for them inspecting it, for some reason they removed the grab rail at the back and started sticking masking tape to the back of the bike, answers on a postcard please?

For a Raider 150, I paid 750 baht for tags and insurance. Not sure what class ins. that paid for.

That is the very basic Gov't required insurance. If you injure someone - you pay. If you cause property damage - you pay. If you damage another vehicle - you pay. First Class the only way to go. If bike too old, get second class, or better yet second class plus. Then you have a chance.

That is the very basic Gov't required insurance. If you injure someone - you pay. If you cause property damage - you pay. If you damage another vehicle - you pay. First Class the only way to go. If bike too old, get second class, or better yet second class plus. Then you have a chance.

Wrong! The compulsory insurance covers damage to others property AND you can claim back if you the insured actually required emergency hospital treatment. The coverage is fairly low but it is there. 3rd class with bail bond is the minimum I would be happy as a foreigner.

. The coverage is fairly low but it is there. 3rd class with bail bond is the minimum I would be happy as a foreigner.

The coverage is so low that any damage - not even substantial - will be beyond the policy limits. In effect - zero. But if you feel that you are OK with third class, I hope you never run into me or mine.

. The coverage is fairly low but it is there. 3rd class with bail bond is the minimum I would be happy as a foreigner.

The coverage is so low that any damage - not even substantial - will be beyond the policy limits. In effect - zero. But if you feel that you are OK with third class, I hope you never run into me or mine.

Compulsory insurance only covers injury: The third party cover is :

Edited by seedy
link to Forum

• 1 month later...

Yes paid pretty much the same at the local bike shop + a few hundred for them inspecting it, for some reason they removed the grab rail at the back and started sticking masking tape to the back of the bike, answers on a postcard please?

They were taking a pencil/tape impression of the frame number, to verify with # recorded in green-book.

I got a quote for 3500 Baht. That was for 3rd class and did not include compulsory for a 2010 Yamaha Nouvo (purchased in Jan. 2011).

That price seems a bit high to me. What do you folks think?

1. Seems about right if you haven't paid up since 2011.

2. Or did you pay B3500/yr, previous years?

I got a quote for 3500 Baht. That was for 3rd class and did not include compulsory for a 2010 Yamaha Nouvo (purchased in Jan. 2011).

That price seems a bit high to me. What do you folks think?

1. Seems about right if you haven't paid up since 2011.

2. Or did you pay B3500/yr, previous years?

I meant I bought the bike in 2011. I have always had the government compulsory insurance that I purchase through the Yamaha dealer yearly and also pay tax at the same time.

The quote I just got was for one year of voluntary 3rd class insurance which is supplemental to the government compulsory insurance and was from a broker that is also a Thaivisa sponsor. This is the first time I have explored getting voluntary insurance. There would be no back insurance to pay.

The Yamaha dealer in Patong only sells government compulsory third party liability insurance. At least that is what they told me 5 years ago when I bought the bike. Although they did sell me theft insurance (or maybe it was 1st class, I don't remember) for the first year but would not renew the second year. That was 2000 Baht.