Opening business in Thai Girlfriends name to obtain work permit?

I was wondering what's the best way to get work permit for a Digital Nomad in Thailand as I can stay there for long and try some offline business as well. I had this idea where I could tell my Thai girlfriend to open a company(Register a company) in some name and then add me as her employee and give me the work permit?

Do you think this is a smart move?

Probably neither smart nor practical.

• The company would need 2 million baht of registered capital, and if you want a work permit the business would have to employ at least 4 Thai's, pay their social security payments and pay you a minimum of 50k baht per month.

As an, expensive, alternative there are companies that will employ you and make you legal. Example: IGLU

Until or if TIB/DOL change their enforcement policy regarding DN's you can ride the wave and do your thing with little fear of prosecution.

• Like 1

• The company would need 2 million baht of registered capital, and if you want a work permit the business would have to employ at least 4 Thai's, pay their social security payments and pay you a minimum of 50k baht per month.

As an, expensive, alternative there are companies that will employ you and make you legal. Example: IGLU

Until or if TIB/DOL change their enforcement policy regarding DN's you can ride the wave and do your thing with little fear of prosecution.

Its a risk using these "Quasi legal" businesses" and someday it may bite you in the butt

Please note that in case you get a WP in your GF's company, such WP is only valid for work in that company and for the specific task mentioned in the WP.

It's a common misunderstanding that once you have a WP you can work with almost anything you want. This is not the case.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I think you would be better off finding a existing real company to work for part time and get them to get you a work permit.

It would not open up to outside work but when you find a business venture that justifies the expense to have a real company then set one up.

As a global nomad you should not really need a work permit as you would have little do do with Thai economy so should be invisible here work wise.. You may want the extended stay that may better be done by being hired as a expert in a real company but with the agreed understanding of very limited hours in exchange for your expertise and taxes work permit and easier visa.

This will also help mentor you in the Thai work world, as you say you may want to work non virtually it would be a eye opener, and for sure a safer way to learn and work here.

Its a risk using these "Quasi legal" businesses" and someday it may bite you in the butt

you need thai to be working in the company as well need to pay the full salary for 4 thais based on minimal the minimum wages .

the for yourself around 80.000 better 1000:000 is advised to have a minimum salary per month

over this the company has to pay tax.

Company needs well proof the salary was actually paid as weel the tax..

the thai have to proof they received it on the bank account.

Company can have foreigner sdshare holder max 49% shares.

in your case you need to have 49% of the shares.

The company need to be active which mean also has insurance, office and so on.,

Your work permit is link to the company as well your visa is link to the company and the work if you have an NON-B Visa.

The company need to proof that the 2 million was in the company.

The salary of the 4 Thai per one foreigner need to be what the market pays for the job as well logic for the company to have the job.

To prevent people in this form start tell you other things, which is very common in the forum, what I Just wrote is the summary this just the result of the my companies did have had in last weeks.

We have had no problem in the setup of the company as well to proof all that was requested.

Good luck

Edited by Autonuaq
  • Like 1

Spend Bt500k on a 5 year Elite card and at least be visa secure without a pretend ED scheme.

If you set up a real but semi bogus company, they will likely come around and want to see the employees at their desks etc. The costs of maintaining this are not insubstantial when you have other options and visa runs plus flights etc. would likely cost more than the Bt100k a year of the Elite card.

• Like 1

Marry her and get a non o. Its an easy visa to obtain and you dont have to leave for 5 months at a time.

He is asking about a Work Permit. Not a Visa.

He is asking about a way to stay here long term. He already has self employment. DN. Best idea would be to use the METV and SETV and mix in stamps with extensions. That will enable him to stay quite some time. By then he might be over los or perhaps married. The original idea is crazy. If you are cashed up consider elite visa

Please note that in case you get a WP in your GF's company, such WP is only valid for work in that company and for the specific task mentioned in the WP.

It's a common misunderstanding that once you have a WP you can work with almost anything you want. This is not the case.

Good luck.

Also, most jobs won't qualify for a foreigner WP. Has to be a job that most Thais can't do. Export business is the easiest, because it benefits them.

for now just take an ED visa until you figure out what to do. Continue with your work without telling anyone about it.

Waste of time money and effort. Also did not indicate desire to study anything. ED visa not the cake walk they were some time ago

Marry her and get a non o. Its an easy visa to obtain and you dont have to leave for 5 months at a time.

i am anti marriage but this is good advice. i have a business in thailand and setting up a company and work permit is not only difficult it is expensive. simple marriage non O is a better option. i am selling my company and getting a non im O based on my half thai kids. easy peasie and 200usd per year.

You can be partners in the company. You don't need to hire anybody, that all depends on what type of business and if it is really necessary in order for the business to function.

You have no idea what you are taking about .Does not depend on what the business function is

You can be partners in the company. You don't need to hire anybody, that all depends on what type of business and if it is really necessary in order for the business to function.

Please, the op is asking for information, not fantasy.

Have a nice day

Having lived, had a company here for 23 years I strongly suggest listen to elviajero's advise.

He basically in a short version sums it up. Your proposal is messy, expensive fraught with danger & probably will not solve your problem

but create others. Good Luck

You have no idea what you are taking about .Does not depend on what the business function is

Yes it does. You think if I have a food cart on the side of the road I need to hire 4 Thai's ? Your stupid. My wife and I are opening a massage/ sauna spa with no employees but my wife.

I don't know where these people get their crazy ideas from. It's obvious they are still learning and learning the hard way. There's no law stating that you need to hire Thai nationals. Yes, if you NEED to hire employees they need to be Thai nationals.

Yes it does. You think if I have a food cart on the side of the road I need to hire 4 Thai's ? Your stupid. My wife and I are opening a massage/ sauna spa with no employees but my wife.

You are confusing being a partner/shareholder with someone actively working in the business.

If you (a foreigner) wants a work permit to work in the Spa you would need a minimum number of Thai employees to satisfy the department of labour.

Edited by elviajero

I don't know where these people get their crazy ideas from. It's obvious they are still learning and learning the hard way. There's no law stating that you need to hire Thai nationals. Yes, if you NEED to hire employees they need to be Thai nationals.

If a foreigner wishes to open a business AND have a Work Permit the the rules associated with employing local labour will need to be met.

• Like 2

thai elite 500,000 baht would give you 6 years in Thailand trouble free, 85,000 baht a year

The TE still wouldn't solve his work permit issue, as this is what he is asking for in the OP.

That said, i would read the intention of long term stay as opposed to a work permit, especially as it involves online work no matter how it is written......................wink.png

If a foreigner wishes to open a business AND have a Work Permit the the rules associated with employing local labour will need to be met.

If he/ she wants to hire a foreigner, whether he or she is Thai or not, they must have at least 4 local nationals as employees.

You can own a business strictly on paper, no building,bank account,no trading,and , and it will still support a b-visa.

Edited by aronp1

That all depends on the OP's nationality and if he wants extensions of stay. If he is happy to travel to get new a new Non-B each year, he would not need to be paid any minimum salary.

:-)

• Like 1