Less Farang Living In LOS?

Brewster67

One thing I have noticed about Thailand over the past year is quite a few farang I know have left for various reasons, and yet I have not noticed any new farang coming here, or at least I have not met anyone fairly new to the area for about a year.

For like 6 years before that, I was always meeting new farang who recently moved to LOS.

It could be just that I have not happened to bump into anyone new lately out of circumstances, but I have certainly noticed the change.

I also noticed that this website, and also another rival national Thai farang site have both had quite noticeable decreases in their alexa website rankings showing a notable loss of traffic. Same with our local forums, all going a bit quiet.

I could walk through our local Mall and see about 20 farang easy, now I barely see half a dozen.

Is anyone else noticing this?... Or is it just me?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it depends on where you live. I still see plenty of new faces when I'm out shopping although some of the old faces I'd see around the place are either staying home or have left.

Since mid last year 6 of my friends/work colleagues have retired to Thailand against 1 of my friends living there who's decided he'll now split his time between his home country and Thai.

Yes, I would agree.

Just out of my fairly small social circle, there are 5 friends/acquaintances who have left Thailand. Two were here on ED visas and couldn't get them renewed. One was a guy who had lived in Thailand on tourist visas for years and the other two were teachers who didn't have degrees (and who were also on here on tourist visas).

Thailand has made it quite clear it isn't interested in foreigners staying here long term. It wants the two week holiday maker now.

Thailand has made it quite clear it isn't interested in foreigners staying here long term. It wants the two week holiday maker now.

I disagree .

There are long term visas available and Thailand wants people to stay here on the correct visa .

Quite understandably, Thailand doesnt want foreigners living here full time on tourist visas .

If you have a valid reason for staying in Thailand then there are visas available

I think you also get a lot who just can't adjust. Fine while it is a holiday - but real life creeps in the door. I saw the same even living in Germany. A lot of people cannot handle being away from home, their friends, familiar places and so on. Same on the Costas too - living the dream is 'eternal holiday' for a large percentage - and when it doesn't turn out like that, they just get plain old homesick.

I disagree .

There are long term visas available and Thailand wants people to stay here on the correct visa .

Quite understandably, Thailand doesnt want foreigners living here full time on tourist visas .

If you have a valid reason for staying in Thailand then there are visas available

I disagree. The impression I get is that the people who make decisions in Thailand don't want westerners living here. 2 week vacation to photograph the elephants, spend the $, and then PO.

Those here all seem as big as before. Or did you mean fewer farang?

I doubt you'd want to extrapolate the number of your friends that are leaving to a population estimate for the whole country. Judging by the number of people I encounter in my condo building and in the supermarkets & restaurants, I'd say the number is greater than ever. Fewer Russians or others whose failing economies mean their currency is plummeting and those exiting with years of overstays I suppose, but they seem to have been replaced by others with money to spend.

As for me, i left because i had to wash all the B/S off,

there was a lot of it, i also notice the,,,

My wife stole everything i had

I'm selling up moving to Thailand

How much sin sot should i pay

I'm going to build a house advice

These posts have pretty much gone silent,

now it's all about visas,, time will tell.

I'm not in LOS but i love reading some of the

B/S posts, they make my day, keep it up.

I disagree .

I disagree. The impression I get is that the people who make decisions in Thailand don't want westerners living here. 2 week vacation to photograph the elephants, spend the $, and then PO.

You only feel that way because Thailand previously had extremely lax visa regulations and they are now just bringing those regulations into line with many other Countries regulations .

Thailand has never encouraged immigration and foreigners do not have right to come and live here permanently for no other reason other than they want to .

Even saying it, its still quite easy for foreigners to stay in Thailand for no other reason than they want to .

Depends where you live, where you hang out and with whom

I can only speak for BKK but I'm seeing untold younger farangs around the more upmarket establishments

They're hanging out with young, hip locals and they won't be seen dead in Cowboy, NEP or Pattaya.

The demographics of the farang expat have changed considerably . . . Thank God

The big influx of westerners into Thailand occurred in the aftermath of the Asian financial crisis and the collapse of the Bht against other currencies - heady days for foreigners with hard currency to spend. And spend they did.

Since then three significant things have happened.

• The Bht's recovery against western currencies
  • The internationa financial crash
  • Inflation in Thailand.

Indications that these things were hurting people who planned life in Thailand on a historically abnormally cheap Bht rate, started to appear in the "Jobs, Economy, Banking, Business, Investment' forum, the jubilant posts proclaiming the end of western currencies (particularly the demise of the dollar) where replaced by ever more fantasy filled posts on what might happen to get the Bht to return to cheap rates on which life plans had been made.

The condo in which I have an apartment, went in a period of 2 years from busy daily arrivals of new faces, followed by new Fortuna's, new white goods, and frequently new partners, to a gradual emptying, the car park no longer full, occasional 'flits', and quiet departures.

There's always a lot of discussion on this board about Thai women robbing foreign men, of course that goes on, but I know from the experiences of more than one expat I know personally, that they, and perhaps many more would have had a far harder time had they not been taken care of by their Thai girlfriend/wife.

One such guy I know is back in the UK, separated from a woman he lived with for over ten years, living in a rented flat and no real prospect of getting back on his feet. It wasn't a Thai woman that put him in this position, it was one of the Bangkok "Independent Financial Advisors" who sold him the idea that the pension he's worked and saved for all his life, would, in their hands, allow him a care free early retirement.

He, and a lot of people like him, have made a few bad choices, for which they've paid a very heavy price.

Yes there are fewer westerners in Thailand right now, and very many hard stories behind the departures.

Count your blessings, and hold on to your assets.

Edited by GuestHouse

I think there are many Falang but they are afraid to be out in a busy public place because they are now here illegally.

I have met many in Pattaya in bars off 2nd Road, 3rd. Road, and farther away from the beach.

The typical comment is: I need to stay under the radar.

A sad life I think.

Edited by bkk6060

The big influx of westerners into Thailand occurred in the aftermath of the Asian financial crisis and the collapse of the Bht against other currencies - heady days for foreigners with hard currency to spend. And spend they did.

Since then three significant things have happened.

• The Bht's recovery against western currencies
  • The internationa financial crash
  • Inflation in Thailand.
Indications that these things were hurting people who planned life in Thailand on a historically abnormally cheap Bht rate, started to appear in the "Jobs, Economy, Banking, Business, Investment' forum, the jubilant posts proclaiming the end of western currencies (particularly the demise of the dollar) where replaced by ever more fantasy filled posts on what might happen to get the Bht to return to cheap rates on which life plans had been made.

The condo in which I have an apartment, went in a period of 2 years from busy daily arrivals of new faces, followed by new Fortuna's, new white goods, and frequently new partners, to a gradual emptying, the car park no longer full, occasional 'flits', and quiet departures.

There's always a lot of discussion on this board about Thai women robbing foreign men, of course that goes on, but I know from the experiences of more than one expat I know personally, that they, and perhaps many more would have had a far harder time had they not been taken care of by their Thai girlfriend/wife.

One such guy I know is back in the UK, separated from a woman he lived with for over ten years, living in a rented flat and no real prospect of getting back on his feet. It wasn't a Thai woman that put him in this position, it was one of the Bangkok "Independent Financial Advisors" who sold him the idea that the pension he's worked and saved for all his life, would, in their hands, allow him a care free early retirement.

He, and a lot of people like him, have made a few bad choices, for which they've paid a very heavy price.

Yes there are fewer westerners in Thailand right now, and very many hard stories behind the departures.

Count your blessings, and hold on to your assets.

Quality post.

Yes you are right.

At my condo, there is a 50% drop in rentals according to statistics.....

I have the same experiences, had many fellow farrangs that have moved out of Thailand and that is after being here a long time.

Most have actually gone to Cambodia.

Reason?

Cambodia is like how Thailand was 20 years ago.....

Very easy visa, paying $ 280 and you get a one year multiple business visa.

wai2.gif

Those here all seem as big as before. Or did you mean fewer farang?

I doubt you'd want to extrapolate the number of your friends that are leaving to a population estimate for the whole country. Judging by the number of people I encounter in my condo building and in the supermarkets & restaurants, I'd say the number is greater than ever. Fewer Russians or others whose failing economies mean their currency is plummeting and those exiting with years of overstays I suppose, but they seem to have been replaced by others with money to spend.

As far as am concerned, less and fewer are much the same word and a little on the pedantic side to pick up on it.

Nope, I am not extrapolating my personal friends and applying it to the whole of Thailand, I even said that I have seen it in multiple cases like those I interface with, those I see in the mall, and the forums are definitely in decline, which is backed up with historical data.

Also, some are agreeing they have noticed the same in their own areas. No, I don't live in an area that is remotely used by tourists, they are almost exclusively full time residents. So I am not looking at Russians who depend on the economy of another country to exist here.

I disagree .

What do you mean a valid reason for staying in thailand

I disagree .

What do you mean a valid reason for staying in thailand

Married, Working, Retired , Family

Depends where you live, where you hang out and with whom

I can only speak for BKK but I'm seeing untold younger farangs around the more upmarket establishments

They're hanging out with young, hip locals and they won't be seen dead in Cowboy, NEP or Pattaya.

The demographics of the farang expat have changed considerably . . . Thank God

I met an recruiting agent a few month back and your observation is spot on. During the red/yellow shirt days when Thais used each other for target practice very few expat (with family) wanted to relocate to Bangkok. Since the uncle took the steering wheel, Bangkok is again a desired location for the regional office white color staff.

Yes, I would agree.

Just out of my fairly small social circle, there are 5 friends/acquaintances who have left Thailand. Two were here on ED visas and couldn't get them renewed. One was a guy who had lived in Thailand on tourist visas for years and the other two were teachers who didn't have degrees (and who were also on here on tourist visas).

No it hasn`t. You have made it crystal the types of Farlangs that Thailand doesn`t want staying in the country long term. Most of the retirees do not have any problems.

Over time Thailand has been filtering out the types you mention from the Farlangs that are entitled to remain here for long stays and probably why we are seeing less Farlangs. It`s taken time but better late then never if you ask me.

Well now I have noticed nothing of the sort here in the South,We go into the town and sometimes we see 1 or 2 Westerners at the most 3, that has not changed over the last 4 years .I like it this way,,, We don't have to Mingle with to many Westerners,,,Just the way we like it . 1 or 2 Friends is Fine . Love it !

I disagree .

Why then would they make available metv that could enable you to stay here for almost 9 months. Follow up couple of setv with extensions a couple of visa exempt stamps. With extensions. Take visit back home for a catch up. Return and repeat.

I've noticed more Caucasians up here in Korat over the past 18-24 months.

A few are obviously just passing through, but I believe many of them are settled/settling down here.