Longest Visa I Can get for Thailand from Australia? (More details in post)

I am currently in Australia after spending the last 18 months in Thailand. Previously I have been able to get Multi Entry Education visas based on doing muay thai, but they are no longer issuing these visas.

Possible information that could help: I am looking after my son (who has both Thai and Australian passports) solo, as in im single dad. I live in thailand and look after him by myself.

I own a condo in thailand.

Wondering from here what visa I can get that is going to give me the most time over in Thailand ?

• Like 1

You may be able to get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai. Are you the legal father of your child by way of legitimization done through the courts and/or an Amphoe?

You will need their birth certificate plus a copy and their house book registry at the least. You should check with where your are applying for the visa to find out their requirements.

If don't get one in Australia you could get one in Penang if you can show at least 100k baht in the bank or proof of income.

• Like 1

You may be able to get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai. Are you the legal father of your child by way of legitimization done through the courts and/or an Amphoe?

You will need their birth certificate plus a copy and their house book registry at the least. You should check with where your are applying for the visa to find out their requirements.

If don't get one in Australia you could get one in Penang if you can show at least 100k baht in the bank or proof of income.

Beautiful, thanks ubon, I am not legal father done through the courts, I am father on birth certificate and he has same last name as me, also I have extended my last visa a few times based on visiting him (actually thanks to your advice.)

Ill go down to consulate here in Syd and see what they say, they were difficult to deal with from memory. So I should just ask them the requirements for ME Non O based on being a parent. Good to see that the possibility actually exists.

• Like 1

You can check to be sure they will do it. But looking at these requirements from the website it should not be a problem. http://thaiconsulatesydney.org/Home/visa

"Documents required

• A passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months
  • A completed and signed visa application FORM A
  • A photo (3.5x4.5 cm.) taken within last 6 months without wearing glasses or headgear (photocopy not accepted)
  • A copy of passport or travel document personal detail page
  • A copy of proof of relationship between yourself and your spouse or family member i.e. birth certificate, marriage certificate, house registration
  • A letter from your spouse or family member verifying the current status of relationship and support for your visa application

-------> If your spouse or family member is a Thai national

• A copy of his/her Thai national identification card and/or Thai passport personal detail page
  • A copy of his/her Thai house registration

• Like 2

Not sure if it's the same for Australia but an American friend of mine gets a multiple entry, "vanilla" O visa from the Thai embassy in the U.S. through a lawyer. He's been doing it for 15-20 years and just got another one recently. No income requirements, no need to show money in the bank.

• Like 1

Yes, I have also heard some bad reports about Sydney embassy. Friends and I used to have no problem getting ME Non O from Thai consulate in Brisbane which has now closed unfortunately. Very helpful and polite staff. My friends, who are Qld based, have since renewed through the Hobart consulate, sending the required documents via email, courier etc. They are also said to be extremely helpful. Perhaps give them a call and see what is required. ?

• Like 1

I'm not sure if the Canberra Embassy would be an option for you if you wanted to avoid Sydney. My wife and son (both Aussies visiting Brisbane area at the time) recently did their Non O and Tourist visas via snail mail to Canberra. Not a problem.

• Like 1

In Sydney ALL COPIES of documents MUST be witnessed by a Justice of the Peace (JP)

does that mean only the Sydney consulate issues all visas (over 30 days) or can it be done via Hobart (and won't some find that strange, bypassing Sydney?)

Other than the OA visa you can get a visa at any of the honorary consulates in Hobart, Perth, Melbourne and Adelaide. The Sydney consulate is an official consulate and can do the OA visas.

Not sure why you quoted that post with wrong info. Only a OA application requires the copies notarized.

penang has signs up saying 3 year multi entry for MYR 1500. whats required for those?

SOUNDS WAY BETTER THAN 500000 BAHT FOR 5 YEARS

That would be a 3 year multiple entry non-b visa. See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15386-Three-year-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22B%22-(for-B.html
hmm ok . after paying all the vested interests to supply the paper trail am guessing you would see a hefty chunk of change out of 500000 baht. business registration in some countries are quite inexpensive.

am i going to do it? nah couldnt be bothered. other countries have better visa policies

Edited by fullChinese

Was actually pretty easy getting it from Sydney Thai Consulate in person. Went in with the right docs, and there was no more additional required (I was worried they were going to want bank statements and return tickets as some other people have alluded to) but it was smooth getting the year long non-immigrant ) Multi-Entry. I should of waited later to get it though cause it would have bought me some more time, as im not in thailand until april so the year finished in feb now, could have waited and bought myself another 2 months, lesson learnt.

My question now is, with this visa, do I have to leave the country and do visa run every 3 months, or can I just go to immigration and get something stamped?