Samsung Smart TV o/s upgrade possible?

WorriedNoodle

We've got a Thai based Samsung Smart TV from 2012 and one same size from 2015. The built in o/s in each is different, with the newer model offering more for less price. Is there a way to upgrade the old unit to the new o/s or are we stuck with it the way it is? Reason I ask is some media won't play on older unit as it stands.

If you go into "Settings" there is normally an option for "Software Update". This will update the current software somewhat, but I don't think it's possible to update the OS very easily.

Some Samsung TV's have the option of fitting one of these "Samsung "Evolution boxes". Basically they are like a small, more powerful computer that you fit to the tv, and allow you to extend the life of the smart tv by running later software updates.

Google "Samsung Evolution Kit" and you will see what I mean. Not cheap though.

Edited by phetphet

Thanks for that idea appreciated. I wasn't aware of the Evolution devices. It seems they only are designed for high end Smart TV's of the older generation of which ours isn't inlcuded. I suppose for the same price we'll just have to plug in a Kodi / Android box to get the media to play.

• 4 weeks later...

If you go into "Settings" there is normally an option for "Software Update". This will update the current software somewhat, but I don't think it's possible to update the OS very easily.

Some Samsung TV's have the option of fitting one of these "Samsung "Evolution boxes". Basically they are like a small, more powerful computer that you fit to the tv, and allow you to extend the life of the smart tv by running later software updates.

Google "Samsung Evolution Kit" and you will see what I mean. Not cheap though.

Only works on 7000 series and above