Work Permit and Multi NON-O?

Hi TV members,

I have a multiple entry NON-O visa due to being married to a Thai national. Personally, I find this more convenient than getting an extension of stay based on marriage, as I leave the country often. I have been offered a job in a hotel, and would like to know if having a work permit means I must get an extension of stay based on work? Or can I continue on my current visa and not get the extension?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa. No need to change to an extension.based upon working.

If your income from working is 40k baht or more you can use it to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage.

• Like 2

I hope OBJ doesn't mind me adding that you just might get the reaction from the company that you should have a B. Most companies don't know that all that is required is a Non Immigrant visa O,B etc, a friend worked on an F, I think, which may have been connected with research ? Not sure.

Generally the office issuing the WP are aware of the requirements.

Another benefit of staying with your Non O is that at the end of the job, which I hope is way later rather than sooner, you can continue using 'your' visa to stay in Thailand.

If you change to the extension then that effectively finishes the day you stop work.

The employer may not know but in many cases it is an agent or lawyer that has a vested interest in saying a non-b visa and extension based upon working is needed since it requires more paperwork and higher fees will be charged.

Am extension of stay based upon marriage would not go away when the job ends. Only one based upon working would go away.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I plan to keep my visa and my work permit seperate. As overherebc stated I can then keep using my visa regardless of how long I work for this company. Am I correct in assuming that when processing my work permit, there will be no need for us to go to the local immigration?

The work permit application is done at the Labor Ministry. Immigration does not even need to know you have a work permit.

You will need to submit a copy of your marriage certificate with the work permit application.

• Like 1

ubonjoe, can people get NON-O multiple entry visas consecutively year after year?

Thanks for your help.

At the moment you can getting a new visa year after year. I have seen posts by people that have been getting them for many years.

• Like 1

You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa. No need to change to an extension.based upon working.

If your income from working is 40k baht or more you can use it to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage.

Hi ubonjoe, could you do me a favour and point me in the right direction to find and print the regulation, which stipulates that a work permit can be issued on a non-o extension of stay? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi ubonjoe, could you do me a favour and point me in the right direction to find and print the regulation, which stipulates that a work permit can be issued on a non-o extension of stay? Thanks in advance for your help.

The regulations only state a non immigrant visa is needed. It does not specify the class of the non immigrant visa.

You can look at the WP1 application and see that is what is stated as a requirement. http://wp.doe.go.th/wp/images/form/Form_tt1.pdf

The regulations only state a non immigrant visa is needed. It does not specify the class of the non immigrant visa.

You can look at the WP1 application and see that is what is stated as a requirement. http://wp.doe.go.th/wp/images/form/Form_tt1.pdf

Thanks. The people at my school are claiming that a non-o is not a non immigrant visa. That I should get a non-b, which I don't want to do.

Thanks. The people at my school are claiming that a non-o is not a non immigrant visa. That I should get a non-b, which I don't want to do.

The"people" at the school ill-informed.

Show them the visa which will clearly state "Non-Immigrant"

Show them the visa which will clearly state "Non-Immigrant"

Thanks. I'll do that when I collect my passport and docs back tomorrow morning. I think it's the "face" thing because they've actually been spoken to by the person handling visa and wp at Assumption.