Chiang Mai University Book Fair

Tywais

The 22nd Annual Chiang Mai University Book Fair from February 2-10 at CMU Library area.

• Distribution of educational book publishing, both domestic and foreign, of the 120 stores, 144 booths.
  • Shop OTOP products of Chiang Mai. And other provinces of the 24 stores.
  • Food & Beverage 77 stores.
  • Gift shops and 33 miscellaneous stores.

Schedule and map of events (Thai language) - library.cmu.ac.th

Photos on Facebook

CMU Book Fair, The biggest book fair in Chiang Mai,

Chiang Mai University created the biggest book fair in Chiang Mai 2-10 February 2559 from 09:00 am to 20:00 pm. At the area around Auang Keaw pavilion. Every year bundles of bookworms and hundreds of thousands of fiction fans flock towards the CMU Book Fair – a major event in Chiang Mai city. boredbreaker

CMUBookFair22.jpg

Just wondering when Kindles will destroy the Thai book market, as they have elsewhere.

Just wondering when people will start using facts rather than making things up. Not only has Kindle not destroyed the book market, in the West, but Amazon are opening 300 bookshops in the coming months. You'd think they'd not bother if Kindle had destroyed the demand for paper books being that Kindle is their product and all. Last year's sales figures show "peak e-book sales" but ever increasing sales of hard copy books.

Just wondering when Kindles will destroy the Thai book market, as they have elsewhere.

Just wondering when people will start using facts rather than making things up. Not only has Kindle not destroyed the book market, in the West, but Amazon are opening 300 bookshops in the coming months. You'd think they'd not bother if Kindle had destroyed the demand for paper books being that Kindle is their product and all. Last year's sales figures show "peak e-book sales" but ever increasing sales of hard copy books.

If you want facts, just take a look at how bookstores in Australia are closing down. Borders collapsed in 2011, Angus and Robertson shed staff in droves, Whitcoulls, Collins - the list goes on and on. A lot of country town bookstores have closed in the last five years. That's a fact.

Amazon is selling books ONLINE. Its whole business model is based on minimizing investment in bricks and mortar.

Some people like the feel and smell of paper and ink in a book. To me and others who like to travel light, Kindles and other eBook readers are a godsend, because I can take a library of 1000 books or more wherever I go.

There are also a lot of free books available in eBook form. Can't remember seeing bricks and mortar stores handing out free books.

If you want to think about it instead of lashing out, costs of publication and distribution of an eBook are peanuts compared with hard copy, so profitability for a popular author with the price set by the publisher is probably higher. It's a bit like postal services worldwide who are losing money hand over fist on their letter segment because nearly everyone uses email.

When I was downsizing in Australia, I tried to sell about 2000 paperbacks from a library accumulated over 20 - odd years. Garage sale, eBay, Gumtree, local bookshops - tried everything. Most were in very good condition, full series of authors such as John D. McDonald, Ed McBain,

Tom Clancy, Arthur Upfield, John Grisham, Lee Child, Frederick Forsyth. Sold about 10, the rest went to a second hand bookstore at $5 per milk carton.

Yes, there may be a market for hard copies. I suspect they will become like other collectibles, where people have a library shelf which reflects their tastes, or their desire to impress visitors with their erudition. I can't see anybody except the most obsessed accumulating large physical book collections anymore.

If you want facts, just take a look at how bookstores in Australia are closing down. Borders collapsed in 2011, Angus and Robertson shed staff in droves, Whitcoulls, Collins - the list goes on and on. A lot of country town bookstores have closed in the last five years. That's a fact.

Amazon is selling books ONLINE. Its whole business model is based on minimizing investment in bricks and mortar.

Some people like the feel and smell of paper and ink in a book. To me and others who like to travel light, Kindles and other eBook readers are a godsend, because I can take a library of 1000 books or more wherever I go.

There are also a lot of free books available in eBook form. Can't remember seeing bricks and mortar stores handing out free books.

If you want to think about it instead of lashing out, costs of publication and distribution of an eBook are peanuts compared with hard copy, so profitability for a popular author with the price set by the publisher is probably higher. It's a bit like postal services worldwide who are losing money hand over fist on their letter segment because nearly everyone uses email.

When I was downsizing in Australia, I tried to sell about 2000 paperbacks from a library accumulated over 20 - odd years. Garage sale, eBay, Gumtree, local bookshops - tried everything. Most were in very good condition, full series of authors such as John D. McDonald, Ed McBain,

Tom Clancy, Arthur Upfield, John Grisham, Lee Child, Frederick Forsyth. Sold about 10, the rest went to a second hand bookstore at $5 per milk carton.

Yes, there may be a market for hard copies. I suspect they will become like other collectibles, where people have a library shelf which reflects their tastes, or their desire to impress visitors with their erudition. I can't see anybody except the most obsessed accumulating large physical book collections anymore.

You might try reading my response before replying. Amazon are opening 300 bookstores. Fact.

The old bookstore model has failed because it has always been more expensive than ordering online. People were browsing in bookstores and then buying online. Amazon's bookstores will cost the same in store as online. Amazon has recognized the important part bookstores play in selling books.

Fact: Last year's sales figures show an increase in sales for hard copy books - brand new ones at that. Fact: Amazon's own figures show that e-book sales have plateaued.

Your own interpretation of this is pretty much irrelevant to the facts.

You might try reading my response before replying. Amazon are opening 300 bookstores. Fact.

The old bookstore model has failed because it has always been more expensive than ordering online. People were browsing in bookstores and then buying online. Amazon's bookstores will cost the same in store as online. Amazon has recognized the important part bookstores play in selling books.

Fact: Last year's sales figures show an increase in sales for hard copy books - brand new ones at that. Fact: Amazon's own figures show that e-book sales have plateaued.

Your own interpretation of this is pretty much irrelevant to the facts.

OK. If you are fixated on shooting the messenger, so be it.

I make my living as a writer - this kind of thing is important to me but I think I'll stick with facts and industry analysis rather than uninformed commentary on Thaivisa if that's all the same to you?

I used to write scientific papers as a research chemist for a living. How good a living you make as a writer is another question, which is not important to me. I'm a reader of books i.e. a customer. Used to buy one hard copy a week, average two books a month on the Kindle. Use a library when I'm in Australia.

I stand by my comments re closures and downsizing of book stores in Australia, which can be checked by searching online. I think it's reasonable to express an opinion based on that, not exactly uninformed commentary.

Having published one book, I can appreciate writers don't make as much in royalties from eBooks as they do from hard copies. I can also appreciate the world of publishing is filled with sharks and con artists.

Ebooks may be a sensitive area for you. It's reminding me of King Canute.

I make my living as a writer - this kind of thing is important to me but I think I'll stick with facts and industry analysis rather than uninformed commentary on Thaivisa if that's all the same to you?

I used to write scientific papers as a research chemist for a living. How good a living you make as a writer is another question, which is not important to me. I'm a reader of books i.e. a customer. Used to buy one hard copy a week, average two books a month on the Kindle. Use a library when I'm in Australia.

I stand by my comments re closures and downsizing of book stores in Australia, which can be checked by searching online. I think it's reasonable to express an opinion based on that, not exactly uninformed commentary.

Having published one book, I can appreciate writers don't make as much in royalties from eBooks as they do from hard copies. I can also appreciate the world of publishing is filled with sharks and con artists.

Ebooks may be a sensitive area for you. It's reminding me of King Canute.

I'm beginning to think that to be a research chemist in Australia takes rather less qualification than elsewhere in the world. (I was a research chemist once myself).

I make a very good living as an author and have nothing invested in any particular format. You're still not reading what I've written. Amazon are opening 300 bookshops... the bookshop is not dead, the people who make Kindle are so convinced of that - they're opening bookshops. Sales of paper are UP this year - not down. E-book sales are flat-lining. (E.g. we appear to have reach device saturation in the current market).

As for royalties? Who cares? The trick is to be paid before a book is published and not rely on the fickle tastes of the public to pay your bills. Oh, yeah - I'm a ghostwriter; which makes life much easier.

I'm beginning to think that to be a research chemist in Australia takes rather less qualification than elsewhere in the world. (I was a research chemist once myself).

You may be right. However, in over 50 years of work in the chemistry profession, I learned qualifications are no guarantee of success in research. It's possible your present living of writing arose after your performance as a researcher was less than stellar.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with namatjira. Goodbye.