Tell me all about spinning

simon43

Years ago in north Phuket, I used to cycle every afternoon from my airport hotel up to Sarasin Bridge and back, about 30Km or so. I cycled along the quiet roads near to the beach - very enjoyable.

I stopped cycling when the quiet roads became busy and the beach path was blocked by the construction of new hotels. Although I see many people cycling on the Phuket roads, I would not want to risk this, such are the high number of dumb and dangerous drivers....

So that brings me to spinning, which AFAIU, is basically riding an exercise bike in your own home, perhaps whilst listening to some rave music on headphones.

Please, someone correct me if I've assumed wrong here...

Well, I enjoy cycling, and I think that my overall fitness, heart health, flabby tummy etc etc would get a good work-out if I took up spinning.

I'd appreciate advise from others who know more about spinning, the health benefits, and what I need to look for when buying an exercise bike for spinning at home.

Flabby tummy is very hard to cure.

Been spinning up the hill from CM Zoo to Wat Doi Suthep for 6-8 months.

It got me low heart rate, low blood pressure, better lung capacity, freakishly muscled legs, bigger shoulders, a thin and aged face, no bum or body fat at all ....... and the flabby tummy remains.

(Spinning is all about cycling as fast as your legs can go, exercise bike or real bike, it don't matter)

Hmm, as I am rather a hansum man, I don't like the idea of an aged face... facepalm.gif

I wonder what other form of sport/exercise I could do to tone my muscles and tighten my stomach (exercise at home is more practical for me than outdoor sports)

Your right about spinning usually you watch spinning DVD's and a trainer gives the speed your going. I had a spinning bike for a while.

But for weight loss adapting your diet is easier, still spinning will help and will be good for your overall health.

Flabby tummy is very hard to cure.

Been spinning up the hill from CM Zoo to Wat Doi Suthep for 6-8 months.

It got me low heart rate, low blood pressure, better lung capacity, freakishly muscled legs, bigger shoulders, a thin and aged face, no bum or body fat at all ....... and the flabby tummy remains.

(Spinning is all about cycling as fast as your legs can go, exercise bike or real bike, it don't matter)

The flabby tummy could be the result of low testosteron or too much carbs in one sitting. In reality the last bit of tummy is the hardest to get rid of. Its a genetic thing fat goes last there.

Things to do .. fasted cardio with some cafeine

I wonder what other form of sport/exercise I could do to tone my muscles and tighten my stomach (exercise at home is more practical for me than outdoor sports)

Google throws up a few suggestions that do not require a spinning machine.

Hmm, as I am rather a hansum man, I don't like the idea of an aged face... facepalm.gif

Simon,

Exercise wont really tone it up without a change in diet and getting rid of some fat. The muscle is there (in general or you start doing ab exercises) but covered by fat. Diet is the solution, diet in combination with some sort of cardio (spinning is good) works even better. But the diet part (meaning a sustained change in eating habits) is the one that will contribute the most.

The flabby tummy could be the result of low testosteron ..

Ah ok, now you are on the right track. I have a very low testosterone level, possibly a genetic condition. (This was checked in Harley Street and the doctor said he had never seen such a low level...)

I used to have testosterone implants (slow releasing) inserted in my hip area under the skin, about 15 years ago. Then when I came to Thailand, I switched to testosterone injections. But my PSA level started to rise, so I stopped that.

More recently, I had PSA checks again and my levels of PSA were back to normal.

The low testosterone hasn't stopped me fathering 4 kids, but I would love to increase it back to an acceptable level for health and 'sex' reasons.

The flabby tummy could be the result of low testosteron ..

Ah ok, now you are on the right track. I have a very low testosterone level, possibly a genetic condition. (This was checked in Harley Street and the doctor said he had never seen such a low level...)

I used to have testosterone implants (slow releasing) inserted in my hip area under the skin, about 15 years ago. Then when I came to Thailand, I switched to testosterone injections. But my PSA level started to rise, so I stopped that.

More recently, I had PSA checks again and my levels of PSA were back to normal.

The low testosterone hasn't stopped me fathering 4 kids, but I would love to increase it back to an acceptable level for health and 'sex' reasons.

2 options.. natural and injections

1) Natural .. heavy lifting of weights is known to increase testosterone.

2) Go to a dr and get weekly or 2 weekly injections (or if your not afraid do it yourself after proper testing)

Its called HRT and (Hormone Replacement Therapy). Basically you just get injected with testosterone and sometimes get prescribed an estrogen blocker as injecting test can heighten estrogen too. I know of quite a few people who do it themselves (with lab testing of-course)

But after you have increased your testosterone you still need to loose a bit of weight but it will be easier to loose it around the belly because of higher test levels.

Here some things about belly fat and testosterone and ways to get test up.

http://www.menshealth.com/weight-loss/improve-your-testosterone

Archived