Headphone Amps

xen

I am looking to buy a pair of Hi Fi Man HT560s headphones and have been advised to use a headphone amp to get the best from them which i expect will double the cost at least.

Does anybody have any experience or advice on what would be suitable. The Oppo looks good and so does the Luxman but there are a lot to choice from and compatibility is always an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the suggestion but I am not really looking for DJ /Dance equipment - more classical/jazz and rock usage for pure listening (middle audiophile level) . Also i need to audition them first and unless it has a shop front i can't.

I bought a Fiio headphone amp/DAC based on internet recommendations, and was pretty darn disappointed - the headphone jack on my Macbook Pro sounded cleaner, has much better staging and imaging, lower noise floor, and plays louder. The Fiio had an overly weighty bottom end and jacked up high range - which is probably what fools the fools into thinking it sounds 'better' ;)

You're doing it the right way - listen for yourself. Based on that, you don't need any recommendations - just listen to everything they have and decide from there :)

The only advice I can give is to use the new headphones with your current equipment for at least a couple of weeks first, so you truly know what to expect from them - then take familiar source material, and your own headphones with you when auditioning.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a Fiio headphone amp/DAC based on internet recommendations, and was pretty darn disappointed - the headphone jack on my Macbook Pro sounded cleaner, has much better staging and imaging, lower noise floor, and plays louder. The Fiio had an overly weighty bottom end and jacked up high range - which is probably what fools the fools into thinking it sounds 'better' wink.png

You're doing it the right way - listen for yourself. Based on that, you don't need any recommendations - just listen to everything they have and decide from there smile.png

The only advice I can give is to use the new headphones with your current equipment for at least a couple of weeks first, so you truly know what to expect from them - then take familiar source material, and your own headphones with you when auditioning.

Which one exactly? I've read a lot of good things about Fiio amps but admittedly I was only looking at the portable versions like the E11k, E12 etc.

I bought a Fiio headphone amp/DAC based on internet recommendations, and was pretty darn disappointed - the headphone jack on my Macbook Pro sounded cleaner, has much better staging and imaging, lower noise floor, and plays louder. The Fiio had an overly weighty bottom end and jacked up high range - which is probably what fools the fools into thinking it sounds 'better' wink.png

You're doing it the right way - listen for yourself. Based on that, you don't need any recommendations - just listen to everything they have and decide from there smile.png

Which one exactly? I've read a lot of good things about Fiio amps but admittedly I was only looking at the portable versions like the E11k, E12 etc.

Mine is the Fiio E17 Alpen model.

Currently rated #2 at Head-Fi: http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/amp-dacs?sort=rating

Don't believe the hype. Listen for yourself. Lesson learnt!

Edited by IMHO

If ur in bkk theres a shop selling headphone amps in exchange tower by the asok bts....the walkway from bts connects direct to it and you'll see it just as you walk in....

Thanks for that - Asoke bts is easy to get to for me - i will have a look . Head phones and headphones amps should go together .

i found a good headphone booth in the Paradise Centre in Sirikhan Rd ( i know i can't spell and spell check doesn't help) and it had Grados and Shennizers etc , i think HT's as well . Some very nice stuff along with the ear candy level and dr dre beats stuff that is made for a different market to me . i wasn't looking and i don't think they had to many headphone amps if any. must go back and have another look.

For the Thais with money and taste and who appreciate real audiophile gear - stuff that makes my ears swoon and i will never afford but will appreciate , but these shops keep on moving .

Edited by xen