3 to 5 month crop

Allgeier

Many times i think what i can planting. From planting to harvesting it should not be longer then 3 - 5 month. The area is small so i can make some experiment what grow or not.

- Sweet potato

- Pumpkin

- corn

- peanuts

and between sunn hemp. To get a cycle.

And it's should be possible to sell on the Market by the farmer.

The pumkin need here where i live a lot of insectisize. And to plant them without insektisize i think my soil is not ready for this. Must first bring more life inside the soil.

The Sweet potato i will try next week.

The peanuts i planted 3 month ago looks good and easy.

The corn i tryed already and its work to.

Any more Idee?

Vergot to tell: No vegetable, This is seperate.

Potatoes

Carrots

Lettuce

Cauliflower

Peas

Beans

Tomatoes

Thank you Bantex for your answer but i call this vegetable. Its should be a alternative to maize.

When i read the maize thread than i think is there not somethink else to plant than maize or sunn hemp.

What complement each other ?

corn - sunn hemp- and after ??? corn again or what else?

When i read german farmer forums there talk so mutch about crop rotation. And here in Thailand? Every year the some crop on the some place. Or i see this wrong?

Hi Allgeier,

You could try sunflowers as well.

The biggest thing is being set up for what you produce.

Labour intensive activities make little income that's why you see standard rotations if people already have machinery to cope with the workload.

How did your coloured sunflowers work out.

You could try Mung Beans

Baby sweet corn.

Soya bean

With baby sweetcorn 80 days ,from planting to harvesting ,also you could make silage out of the remaining plant

Mung beans, soya bean are a legume's, a break from corn, but you will need to use some insecticide.

I agree with you about crop rotation ,cassava is a root crop ,member of the potato family , in the UK you grow potatoes every 3 years ,due to a disease build up in the soil ,also a crop of wheat after potatoes always grow well .

But here in Thailand cassava is grown on the same soil for a lot of years ,same as sugar cane ,using up all the soils nutrients .farmers will not understand why there yields are dropping ,they think put on some poultry manure every 2-3 years things will be all right, test of time will tell.

I tend to look at things from a profit side of things. You would want to look at the time of year and water requirements. I would consider taking Feb and March off as it is (usually) very hot. Having said that, the time to plant mung beans is right after the rainy season in say mid November and harvest in February. I would go with sweet corn as we are getting up to 10 baht per kg un husked. Any bad ears go to my chickens and rabbits. In May, June, July we go for Long beans and get a good price. Bad beans get chopped up and the chickens love them, the rabbits eat them whole. For a 3rd crop there are a few, but I would look at squash or pumpkin. Corn, beans, and squash can actually be grown together, I think they are called the "3 sisters". In the cool season you can do garlic and the rest of the time spring onions. Long eggplant does well in the market in September and October. Because of the season pests can be a problem; maybe plant your marigold in amongst them. If you are looking for a quick crop, cucumbers are good but take a higher amount of water for the price you get, but again the chickens and rabbits love them (no real nutritional value though). Most of the leafy green veggies have a short season, but we have so many problems with pests that it isn't worth it because of the spraying. and bad leaves (after washing) can go to your chickens, rabbits and fish. Coriander does a little better but the price is really hit or miss. I almost forgot Thai chillies and you are looking at picking in 3 months, but continued production for a couple of more months. You just need to watch your local market to see what the prices are during the year.

I tend to look at things from a profit side of things. You would want to look at the time of year and water requirements. I would consider taking Feb and March off as it is (usually) very hot. Having said that, the time to plant mung beans is right after the rainy season in say mid November and harvest in February. I would go with sweet corn as we are getting up to 10 baht per kg un husked. Any bad ears go to my chickens and rabbits. In May, June, July we go for Long beans and get a good price. Bad beans get chopped up and the chickens love them, the rabbits eat them whole. For a 3rd crop there are a few, but I would look at squash or pumpkin. Corn, beans, and squash can actually be grown together, I think they are called the "3 sisters". In the cool season you can do garlic and the rest of the time spring onions. Long eggplant does well in the market in September and October. Because of the season pests can be a problem; maybe plant your marigold in amongst them. If you are looking for a quick crop, cucumbers are good but take a higher amount of water for the price you get, but again the chickens and rabbits love them (no real nutritional value though). Most of the leafy green veggies have a short season, but we have so many problems with pests that it isn't worth it because of the spraying. and bad leaves (after washing) can go to your chickens, rabbits and fish. Coriander does a little better but the price is really hit or miss. I almost forgot Thai chillies and you are looking at picking in 3 months, but continued production for a couple of more months. You just need to watch your local market to see what the prices are during the year.

" I would consider taking Feb and March off as it is (usually) very hot." So your down South somewhere? Not hot here in North Central!

This morning, in not so hot Thailand.

post-63954-0-75392700-1454912996_thumb.j

Maybe someone with more knowledge can help me out....but sesame maybe an option. Well my wife calls it sesame, it's black and they leave it in the sun to dry. Sesame.......?

She grew it after we harvested our test plot of Pac Seeds Fancy Purple. Only got a little rain and a little fertiliser but it came on good. Grew 2 stripes about 3M x 40M long between 1 year mango trees. One at each end of the orchard. The one at the bottom did really well but the one at the top so so. She got about 6 Kg harvesting by hand. If you put in a few rai it would be better to machine harvest I suspect. The wife thinks you could get 600 baht a kilogram but I don't know if that's in the local market or a spice factory buyer.

I wrote a piece in the maize thread about sesame seed ,we grew it ,did ok can not harvest it by machine ,seeds to small , in Oz they have harvesters ,needs to be cut by hand then stoked to dry out ,then get the mobile thrasher in to trash out the seeds.

As for 600 Bart/kg ,take a nought off then another 30 Bart ,will be somewhere near the price ,last crop be got 45 Bart /kg ,not a bad price at the time ,I think last year it 28 Bart /kg, most Thai sesame seed goes for crushing ,for the oil .

I wrote a piece in the maize thread about sesame seed ,we grew it ,did ok can not harvest it by machine ,seeds to small , in Oz they have harvesters ,needs to be cut by hand then stoked to dry out ,then get the mobile thrasher in to trash out the seeds.

As for 600 Bart/kg ,take a nought off then another 30 Bart ,will be somewhere near the price ,last crop be got 45 Bart /kg ,not a bad price at the time ,I think last year it 28 Bart /kg, most Thai sesame seed goes for crushing ,for the oil .

"As for 600 Bart/kg ,take a nought off then another 30 Bart " Crikey, the missus was way off with that one!

',I think last year it 28 Bart /kg' At that price, why would you bother growing it?

"As for 600 Bart/kg ,take a nought off then another 30 Bart " Crikey, the missus was way off with that one!

',I think last year it 28 Bart /kg' At that price, why would you bother growing it?

The problem with growing any thing in Thailand, is you do not know what price you will get for the final crop ,2 years ago sesame seed was 35-38 Bart/ kg ,last year 28 Bart/kg

When we last grew it ,as I said we got 45 Bart /kg ,following year 30 Bart/kg ,and the workers harvesting the crop wanted a lot more .

Famerjo started the maize thread last year ,trying to keep track of maize prices at harvest time was not easy ,ask a farmer growing maize how much you are getting a kg, as he is about to harvest his crop ,a lot will say they do not know ,or quota a neighbour or family members price .

Buyers seem to announce buying price as harvest starts, growers do not have a lot of options but to take what is on offer .

Most farmers just hope they will get more than they got the year before, more often than not that is not so .

Things like the futures market here in Thailand seem to be decades .away .

Hi Allgeier,

You could try sunflowers as well.

The first time there grow not nice. On the photo it is the second round and there grow fast. Nearly the some speed like the sunn hemp.

post-147638-0-22019900-1455106163_thumb.

Better many differant think than only one.

Here i planted today the green bean

post-147638-0-53810100-1455106349_thumb.

This is about the space i talking about

post-147638-0-47146500-1455106581_thumb.

8 small parts with each about 100 qm. But for now the sunn hemp is growing because the soil is hard like concrite. If the soil is dry.

Archived