BMW X4 now built in Thailand

turgid

They had a mini BMW show with the X4 on display at Mega Bangna today. X4 is the coupe version of X3. Nice looking car but a lot less space in the back.

Will be available for sale in 2.0 Diesel form at a little under 4.0M baht in two months. Other engines to be added but she didn't know what or when.

I was told this was a million baht reduction on the current price in Thailand as it is now going to be manufactured here. Good news if you are looking at one , bad news if you have just bought one.

Yes it's incredible how cheap are BMW now with the discounts that they offer. What is the purpose of selling more than Benz if you make less profit ? The world will be flooded with BMW and these cars will soon be considered like Japanese metallic boxes called Toyota...

They are becoming the Vuitton of cars (Vuitton is the "luxury" brand that Chinese like because it's the cheapest among "luxury" brands) !

Yes it's incredible how cheap are BMW now with the discounts that they offer. What is the purpose of selling more than Benz if you make less profit ? The world will be flooded with BMW and these cars will soon be considered like Japanese metallic boxes called Toyota...

They are becoming the Vuitton of cars (Vuitton is the "luxury" brand that Chinese like because it's the cheapest among "luxury" brands) !

I don't mind paying premium for the quality ... But definitely not paying it for the duties and tax to the government.. Lol

Asian countries paid alot more for Continental cars because of the duties and tax...

One could expect that it would be sold a lot cheaper due to the fact it is made here?

top model BMW X4 is 2.5 Mil. Baht in the UK

but then again TIT

coffee1.gif

The components aren't made here, it's just assembled here hence the acronym CKD meaning completely knocked down. In this guise you pay 80% import duty. If all the parts were sourced from Thailand you could say the pricing should have been lower.

One could expect that it would be sold a lot cheaper due to the fact it is made here?

top model BMW X4 is 2.5 Mil. Baht in the UK

but then again TIT

coffee1.gif

The components aren't made here, it's just assembled here hence the acronym CKD meaning completely knocked down. In this guise you pay 80% import duty. If all the parts were sourced from Thailand you could say the pricing should have been lower.

A certain percentage of the parts are made here, they have to be it's a government stipulation, i used to work for CKD BMW in Munich although it's now called Auslandsfertigung. Strangely enough even though wages and overheads here are a lot lower than in Germany many parts are more expensive to produce in Thailand than in Germany due to lack of automation. Look at the windows from a side angle they have a ripple effect because the glass is made in Thailand,they haven't quite got the knack yet or didn't have when i worked there.

They had a mini BMW show with the X4 on display at Mega Bangna today. X4 is the coupe version of X3. Nice looking car but a lot less space in the back.

Will be available for sale in 2.0 Diesel form at a little under 4.0M baht in two months. Other engines to be added but she didn't know what or when.

I was told this was a million baht reduction on the current price in Thailand as it is now going to be manufactured here. Good news if you are looking at one , bad news if you have just bought one.

X4 is coupe version of X3???? It's not true!! First because it's not a coupe. Have 4 door. Second, because X4 is a small sister for X6. You should read about the BMW history.

X4 is coupe version of X3???? It's not true!! First because it's not a coupe. Have 4 door. Second, because X4 is a small sister for X6. You should read about the BMW history.

Since when does a coupe need to have only 2 doors ?

You can check online and search for 4 doors coupes. You will find plenty. Even BMW have them: BMW 6 grand coupe.

And the X4 is based on the X3 same the X6 is a coupe version of the X5. But you are right when you say it is a small version of the X6.

Olgab,

Indeed you should read about BMW history.

The X4 is based upon the X3.

In history, Coupe defines a car with 2 doors with a fixed roof. Usually is a shorter version of the sedan.

However, in the current automotive industry, Coupe is used for 2 door and also 4 doors, but they still share one feature of having a wider wheel base...

Audi A5 is a coupe with 2 and 4 doors

BMW 4 & 6 series 2 and 4 doors

Mercedes CLS 4 doors

i think there are some more....

The East side of the pond is different. In N. America we have 2 door hardtop- no pillar behind the door, 4 door hardtop - same, 2 door post - pillar behind the door, and 4 door sedan - same. But we have always been different. An estate is where you live if you are rich, in the Old country it is what we call a station wagon.

In Australia, the (imported) X4 is $73,400 (xDrive20d); thats less than 2 million baht

According to carsales, the driveway price is $85K, which is more like 2.125M Baht.

So the gap isn't so bad, considering Australia doesn't have any equivalent to Thai Excise and Interior taxes.

In Australia, the (imported) X4 is $73,400 (xDrive20d); thats less than 2 million baht

According to carsales, the driveway price is $85K, which is more like 2.125M Baht.

So the gap isn't so bad, considering Australia doesn't have any equivalent to Thai Excise and Interior taxes.

well, I will go by the BMW Australia site which says $77,000 on the road in Queensland

as opposed to a car sales site

http://www.bmw.com.au/com/en/newvehicles/x/x4/2014/showroom/driveawayprice.html#

Australia doesn't have a car manufacturing industry to protect.
huh?

Prices are higher here because they want you to buy a locally made car instead of importing. Since Australia doesn't really have a manufacturing base for autos (soon to be extinguished) they can get away with CBUs at face value.

If we had the price you mentioned for the X4 the local car sales would be decimated. Japanese sales would disappear whilst German one's would be making hay. Killing a key part of the Thai economy doesn't interest the government.

in australia, my Mazda CX5 is 500.000 baht cheaper. the thailand one has less comfort features. i'll be glad when ASEAN pricing happens

in australia, my Mazda CX5 is 500.000 baht cheaper. the thailand one has less comfort features. i'll be glad when ASEAN pricing happens

What ASEAN pricing? :)

What ASEAN pricing? smile.png

He probably would like to see Singapore pricing in Thailand.....clap2.gif