Has Soi Cowboy Gone Downhill?

FruitPudding

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you described most of Thailand. Prices equal to the West or more, customer service in all industries has gone down, attitudes have gotten worse. It has become more Westernized and therefore materialistic.

Not just the bar scene....everywhere. there are exceptions of course. Bangkok is really bad for all of this. I used to love it 15 or so years ago now I avoid it.

Ha​vent most of us also gone down hill if you think about it hahaha...

I used to think like that. Friends have told me I`m not getting any younger and it`s me that has changed more then the scene it`s self. But I don`t believe that. Nowadays it has become fast and furious with different attitudes, over the top expensive and more grot. I think this describes the scene all over Thailand.

Can`t explain why. Maybe it`s all become played out or they`ve just got greedy?

If you're getting treated worse than you were 20 years ago its partly because you're 20 years older. I'm early 40s but look younger. I never pay full price and just laugh and walk out if any bar is more than 700 for a bar fine. The bars with coyotes with ridiculous drink prices , again I just walk out and don't go back to those ones. Baccara still has no coyotes every girl the same price, theres a few other good places still there.

A friend of mine who's in his early 20s and a looker often gets offers to go with him for free at bar closing time. Yes there's plenty of mercenary ones but they're easy to spot and I can always find ones that are up for extra fun and happy to stick around for a while. And yes if you are silly enough to be the only customer in a bar with six girls you deserve what you get, walk out find somewhere with 80 baht drinks at happy hour and come back later.

first off, who is stupid enough to pay their first quote? They always start high.

same as in a market. I am in my fiftys, and yes, they say I look forty.

if you and your friends are so handsome, why are you in cowboy picking up hookers?

the place has gone for a complete shit, without question

Talk to mamasan. Give her 200bht and say you dont want to be bothered by any girl.

Seriously....you're that weak minded you have to pay to be left alone...that's hilarious

Thats how it works in Soi Cowboy. He wanted to be left alone and this is his answer. If he starts shouting at every girl or denying all a drink he wouldnt feel welcomed after 5 min. If you are in a bar in Pattaya you wouldnt have same problem.

Talk to mamasan. Give her 200bht and say you dont want to be bothered by any girl.

Seriously....you're that weak minded you have to pay to be left alone...that's hilarious

Thats how it works in Soi Cowboy. He wanted to be left alone and this is his answer. If he starts shouting at every girl or denying all a drink he wouldnt feel welcomed after 5 min. If you are in a bar in Pattaya you wouldnt have same problem.

No.....that's how it works for you......never in all my years have I seen or heard of anyone doing that.....good on you for establishing a new trend for the meek and mild

I believe bars like this all over Thailand.If your the only farang in the bar and there are 2,3 or more ladies,they all want you to buy

Them multiple drinks.Many time I will be bar hoping.If all the bars are empty,when I go in most likely they'll stay that way.

Now if I go in one and it's A slow night and maybe only 1 or 2 girls in there I might stay there for awhile.

You apparently do not understand the concept of supply and demand. A bar with several girls and only one customer can be formidable playground. Bar the doors Nelly. Turn the situation around. Offer the promise of remuneration to the girls who do the most for YOU, right there in the bar. You are the scarce commodity; the girls will compete for your favors.

I believe bars like this all over Thailand.If your the only farang in the bar and there are 2,3 or more ladies,they all want you to buy

Them multiple drinks.Many time I will be bar hoping.If all the bars are empty,when I go in most likely they'll stay that way.

Now if I go in one and it's A slow night and maybe only 1 or 2 girls in there I might stay there for awhile.

You apparently do not understand the concept of supply and demand. A bar with several girls and only one customer can be formidable playground. Bar the doors Nelly. Turn the situation around. Offer the promise of remuneration to the girls who do the most for YOU, right there in the bar. You are the scarce commodity; the girls will compete for your favors.

You are applying that completely bizarre concept of common sense, reason, business savvy, an understanding of competition, and the application of motivation. Some of those are rather foreign and strange concepts within many of the bars and go-gos I have been to!

Damn, we getting picky, or what? By downhill, you mean it is an easy to walk soi full where you cannot live long enough to pork all the talent, drink from decent Belgian beer to cheap Thai whisky, listen to music, play pool, watch crazy shows and glitzy gogo cutie, even sport or sit on the side eating a variety of great foods and watch the world go bar.

Oh yeah, that's really downhill.

So how is North Carolina these days?

Yes Soi Cowboy has really gone DOWN HILL.

And no wonder with the cost of a beer as much as Baht 300.

And the Bar Fines as much as Baht 3000.

And the girls are getting restless and aggressive due to the lack of customers.

I think you are going to the wrong bars. I pay 160 for a beer max and 600 barfine.

Soi cowboy sucks. And a lot of farang get beaten up there, by Thai men or some angry ho. I used to go to the country western bar there with my non-Thai Asian girlfriend. She went back to farangland, and I was feeling sad, so I went there to listen to the live band, which is quite good. Two of the bargirls sat down at the table, bothering me with the same inane questions: "How you? Where you come from? My name pick. Her name yam. What your name? How long you stay Bangkok?" I explained that my wife had left that day, and I was sorry, but it just wanted to listen to the band. They kept talking and asking by me to buy them drinks. I just ended up leaving. Really thick people sometimes. I understand this is their job, but they were really persistent.

Surprised no one's mentioned it already here...

In the news this week, the Dollhouse bar on SC had closed and the American guy who supposedly co-founded it died after he fell (or jumped) from the high floor of his BKK condo. That after his entire staff and girls supposedly had quit.

Last Sunday, Stickman had a column that included some discussion of the problems at Dollhouse, which was posted before the guy's death. And that column mentioned, separately, that the Arab had closed another of his bars on SC lately, namely Rio.

And separate from that, as for the atmosphere on SC, Stickman related a different story about a guy walking down SC who literally got grabbed by "greeting girls" at bars on opposite sides of the street, so the guy was in the middle and had a girl pulling on one arm to go one way and a girl on the opposite arm pulling to try to get him to go the other way. So much for a relaxed, fun atmosphere.

But, having said all that, surely the OP must be mistaken. The tourism numbers are booming, the government says, and 99% of Thais are happy. (Cough, cough....) whistling.gif Amazing Thailand!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/893472-soi-cowboy-bar-owner-dies-following-bangkok-condo-fall/?hl=dollhouse

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanWeeklyColumn2015/Stickman-Bangkok-2016.htm

Dollhouse's problems could affect Soi Cowboy which - let's be frank - only has a small number of genuinely good gogo bars. Pretty neon on the outside doesn't mean a great bar on the inside. With Dollhouse closed for the time being, that's one fewer decent bar. You'd think that with Dollhouse closed other bars in Cowboy would benefit but that's logical thinking - something best avoided in Thailand. Fewer decent bars in Cowboy is just as likely to cause folks to go elsewhere i.e. Nana where there are more good bars to choose.

The aggressive hello girls outside bars in Soi Cowboy will do what they can to get punters inside. One guy was a human rope in a tug of war between bars on opposite sides of the soi this week as girls from one side pulled on one arm trying to get him in their bar while girls from the bar opposite pulled on his other arm. Fun if you're in the mood, annoying if you're not.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

As someone who has been in Thailand along time- long before Soi Cowboy existed, I can attest to the fact that Cowboy has gone down hill consistently. There are still a few places where one can have a good time but not like before when every bar was a fun place. I used to know all the owners. The smart ones left decades ago and the rest want out now. Due to a lack of constant customers, the bars have raised prices too high and the girls have become hungrier due to the high cost of living. The age of the customer has absolutely no bearing on having a fun time. It is what is in their pocket and how they handle themselves. Also, if you can speak Thai- you can still find good prices and fun times but you have to look. The best places now are around Soi 22 and still Soi 33. Cowboy, Nana and Patpong are slowly going out of existence. The land prices alone in these places will eventually force them all to close. Bangkok has evolved for decades. At one time, all the action was on Phetchaburi Road. A new area will spring up and the aforementioned places will be fond memories.

Edited by Thaidream

No.....that's how it works for you......never in all my years have I seen or heard of anyone doing that.....good on you for establishing a new trend for the meek and mild

YES, Thats how it worked for me. And i gave him mine. And he asked whats our opinion. You still havent gived yours. Do you have an opinion about what the OP ask for?? So shoo back to your lonely corner in that bar .

if you and your friends are so handsome, why are you in cowboy picking up hookers?

A wise man once said "you pay them to leave afterwards, not for what they do before"

Don't need the hassle of a relationship at this exact moment.

Yes, the definition of 'an eternity'...... the time between when you cum and she goes!

A wise man once said "you pay them to leave afterwards, not for what they do before"

I am not speaking of relationships.

Many thai ladys looking for one night stands from HANDSOME falang

I am not speaking of relationships.

Many thai ladys looking for one night stands from HANDSOME falang

Sure I know all about Thaifriendly, very useful. But it still takes time and effort to set it up and I'm running a legal business with thai staff etc. Sometimes the quick easy no complications solution is just what you need.

you say they offer you it for free at closing, because you are so handsome. thai hookers are offering you free sex?

just think what you could o in the clubs!

I've never been to any of those places nor do i ever want to,

but reading these posts makes it an interesting night out,

but (as a non drinker) for me a sip of champagne at a wedding

makes my head spin and gives me a headache so i'm trying

to imagine the bar girls who i perceived came from poor

rural villages from Issan, they don't come from a drinking

environment, now thrust into the heavy duty bar scene,,,

Quoting,,,thrilled

they all want you to buy them multiple drinks

I wonder if these young girls end up full on alcoholics and what

happens to their health in the years to come, who will pay the

medical bills,, and guys want to marry them,,, very sad indeed. so i'm trying

"so I am trying to imagine the bar girls who i perceived came from poor

rural villages from Issan, they don't come from a drinking

environment" Are you for real? Have you ever been to a "poor" rural village?

I actually live in one and I can tell you there is a drinking enviroment.

Where is home to you? Must be Bangkok or out of the country. Most villages

have many on the Lao Khao. This being both men and women. The kids in Isaan

see it from the day they are born. Maybe some do not see it in their home

but rest assured they would have seen plenty in their village.