Rajavej Hospital Physical - Thumbs Up!

FolkGuitar

I'd been thinking about getting a full physical check-up for some time, but kept putting it off. I guess I just hate getting blood drawn. I'm a wus. I don't like needles. So Sunday night I decided that I'd procrastinated long enough, made a plan to not eat or drink anything after dinner and go the following morning. I had my last physical at Chiang Mai Ram and was quite satisfied with it, but having heard so many good things about Rajavej Hospital here on ThaiVisa I decided to give it a try this time.

I arrived at 8:30 (no appointment) and asked for a full physical check-up. A young woman, fluent in English explained the options to me, offering a choice of different 'packages' or just taking which ever tests I wanted. The "Male over 40 Premium" had everything that I wanted so I went with that. From there it was one clinic after the other, with no waiting at all. When I finished a test in one, a nurse from that clinic took me to the next one. I didn't even have time to sit down! (Note: This was handled differently at CM Ram. There, the same 'hostess' waited for me at each clinic to lead me onward. At one point, even poured coffee for me. At Rajavej, a different nurse took me to the next room, and there was no time for coffee.)

I was finished with all the tests by 9:15. A nurse told to go have breakfast and come back for the exam and consult at 11:00. I returned. spent 45 minutes with the doctor for hands-on physical, and then he explained all the test results. He told me I'm going to live forever! I like that. Total cost 3,800 Baht which included a printed booklet with all the test results. If I had one of their discount cards it would have been even less.

Everything done professionally, quickly, smoothly with no waiting around, and at a price I like. The only difference I could see between Rajavej and Ram was the 'one hostess' vs different nurses, and the price. Rahavej gets a Thumbs Up from me!

first-class hospital with very reasonable prices. I recently flew direct from Hua Hin to Chiang Mai and went for some treatment at Rajavej. it was much quicker than going to Bangkok, which would have entailed a 4 hour drive. It was also much cheaper too because the hospital in Bangkok would have charged a lot more.

Too many to list each specifically right now (it's late,) but there was a full Blood panel, Urinalysis, EKG, chest X-Ray, Colon, Liver, and Prostate Cancer Panel, etc.

26 different tests, three of which were specific for women and so not taken.

Understand that there are other tests which can be asked for, and some of the package tests removed. It's all up to you.

I have a strong medical background and decided that the tests given in the 'Male over 40 Premium' package was all that I wanted. There is a 'Premium Plus' that includes an Abdominal Ultrasound that I didn't want.

Too many to list each specifically right now (it's late,) but there was a full Blood panel, Urinalysis, EKG, chest X-Ray, Colon, Liver, and Prostate Cancer Panel, etc.

26 different tests, three of which were specific for women and so not taken.

Understand that there are other tests which can be asked for, and some of the package tests removed. It's all up to you.

I have a strong medical background and decided that the tests given in the 'Male over 40 Premium' package was all that I wanted. There is a 'Premium Plus' that includes an Abdominal Ultrasound that I didn't want.

Happy enough with this! Thanks.

Yes it's all on their website.

The main thing I liked better was that the consult with the dr was actually hands on and thorough. At other hospitals the dr buried his nose in the paperwork and barely glanced at me.

It's kind of fun to look at your innards with the ultrasound.

Women over age 40 should have bone density screening and I see that's not part of their "Premium Package Female Over Age 40". In fact it's a good idea for men to have bone density checked from time-to-time once they get over age 60.

I think you could go to a lab, and get all but the physical exam and EKG for about 1000 THB.....EKG probably about 500 THB (if anyone knows cost of just EKG, please post)...I paid 55 USD to get my physical filled out for my visa in Washington DC....

Thanks for a helpful post. I have clicked on the link but it is unclear to me if the test includes a digital rectal exam of the prostate…?

Wasn't that the "Thumbs Up" in OP title?

But he was confused by the fact that the doctor had a hand on each shoulder.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for a helpful post. I have clicked on the link but it is unclear to me if the test includes a digital rectal exam of the prostate?

Wasn't that the "Thumbs Up" in OP title?

But he was confused by the fact that the doctor had a hand on each shoulder.

Steady Lad... steadyy... smile.png but in all seriousness thanks to Folk Guitar for this and the info about Lanna which I have visited for dental (they helpfully did my blood pressure too -a first at a dentist!)

My Thai consort cost THB 800 (govt.) and mine was THB 1900 out of pocket I don't insure for dental. I tried the University for a dental check up prior, it was cheaper, but I was unimpressed, i like feedback from my providers, I may as well have been a corpse! Sometimes price is not a consideration.

Same price, same procedures available at McCormick Hospital. Helpful, caring staff, no BS. It's wonderful that we have so many choices. Another reason to love Chiang Mai.

For a minute I thought you were the 'other' famous Frank James, now that was a gunslinger!

I don't insure for dental. Check ups here are dirt cheap anyway. I tried the University for a dental check up prior, it was very cheaper, but I was unimpressed, i like feedback from my providers,

I may as well have been a corpse! Sometimes price is not a consideration.

Back on topic, I have access to a 'free' medical checkup as part of a new "wellness package" with Cigna,

but I'm ditching the add-on, as I suspected, you always seem to pay more than the exam over the course of the annual premium

(Wellness $ 22.51 x12 = $270.12 the payout is capped at $225 huh?)

The policy is brand new, so I'm invoking the 'cooling off' period immediately, to get them to re-write the damn thing!

To answer a specific question, no... the HIV test isn't included in any of the packages, but you can certainly request adding it into the testing.

Slightly off topic, but I tend to do this sort of thing separate to the normal battery of tests for various reasons.

The CM Red Cross station between the US Embassy and the thai river market area, on the river road itself,

is excellent for this, it's quiet, quick, discreet, CHEAP, they speak decent English, it's well under THB 1000 but can't remember the exact cost now, as happily I have not needed it for some time,

there's no price discrimination, and you can get all the other nasties checked for as well.

Another thing well worth mentioning is you get given a dated 'certificate' to wave at your new, or current, sweetheart,

and you can opt to have this printed with your full name or just initials, gender and age.

The 'de-identified" one is a few baht cheaper, for some odd reason

Edited by dhream

I think you could go to a lab, and get all but the physical exam and EKG for about 1000 THB.....EKG probably about 500 THB (if anyone knows cost of just EKG, please post)...I paid 55 USD to get my physical filled out for my visa in Washington DC....

Do stand-alone labs you mention exist in Chiang Mai? This is all I want..draw blood..and read the results myself.

Will the same hospital do only this?

Do stand-alone labs you mention exist in Chiang Mai? This is all I want..draw blood..and read the results myself.

You can go to a private Doctor ,who will take a blood sample ,which the doctor will send away to his/her Lab .I did this will the well known Lady Doctor ,Dr.Morgan . I had about 10 different tests done on the blood for around B2000 .

You can also go to the lab on the super highway near to central festival (sorry that is the best directions i can give) they have a full range of tests that they do and will give you a price for the ones you want .

Chiang Mai R.I.A. Lab

Edited by fcgprg

Yes there are several stand alone labs, one mentioned above others you can find by searching. They can do what you want.

There are labs but 90% of them are not accredited. My urologist told me he won't even look at lab reports from these places should a patient walk in with one. The wife went to one many years back. We were amazed how filthy the place was. I wouldn't bother with these places. Just go to somewhere like CMU where they are accredited and follow protocols.

You can also go to the lab on the super highway near to central festival (sorry that is the best directions i can give) they have a full range of tests that they do and will give you a price for the ones you want .

Chiang Mai R.I.A. Lab

Actually this place used to be a Radiology Clinic only and is very good. They recently began offering blood tests too. I've been for x-rays a few times and the radiologist is excellent. They've been there a long time.