international drivers licence

joskeshake

Those international licenses have not been valid in Thailand for years. You are expected to get a Thai license even if you only come here for one day. This is of course just another racket to collect BS fines. The "police" prefers if you do not have a license so you will have to pay the fines.

Those international licenses have not been valid in Thailand for years. You are expected to get a Thai license even if you only come here for one day.

Rubbish.

I agree. You need a valid license to rent a car at the airport. How do you get a Thai License at the airport ?? If you don't the answer; then you should keep quiet. NightRider70 should drive only in the daytime !

I have not written anything about car rental at the airport, nor have I claimed you can get a Thai license at the airport.

I drive at any time of the day I please.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those international licenses have not been valid in Thailand for years. You are expected to get a Thai license even if you only come here for one day. This is of course just another racket to collect BS fines. The "police" prefers if you do not have a license so you will have to pay the fines.

Of course this is completely wrong. As Farma has suggested, it is an IDP that is necessary.

idp-453x640.jpg

This picture is interesting, as it shows that UK issues at IDP based on "1949" treaty valid for one year.

This is the "issue" that is acknowledged/required in Thailand.

E.g. Germany (and maybe Switzerland) issue an IDP based on "1968" treaty, valid for three years.

Strictly spoken this would not be acceptable for Thailand.

Seems like they handle this "liberally".

When getting an IDP you need to state which countries you wish to use it in. You will then get either a 1949 treaty IDP, 1968 treaty IDP or both if you are traveling to countries that are signatories to the different treaties.

And FWIW here is an example of an IDP valid for motorcycles and cars post-44962-0-86221300-1455198871_thumb.j

Only for the simpletons amongst us.

So the OP is a simpleton?

The OP does not have an IDL, he also not the one that keeps harping on about an IDP and IDL being the one and same.

From that you should be able to work out who my simpleton comment was directed towards.

I am not harping only responding.

"When you resort to name calling, you have lost the argument"

You cant paint it however you want to but the simple fact remains the IDL your are talking about is a document that is not legal anywhere.

International drivers license are valid. But you need to have your original license with you.

Yes, but most importantly you have to have the right class of licence. i.e. for motorcycles in the OP's case. Most cops in the tourist zone know how to find the class on the licence.

So the OP is a simpleton?

The OP does not have an IDL, he also not the one that keeps harping on about an IDP and IDL being the one and same.

From that you should be able to work out who my simpleton comment was directed towards.

I am not harping only responding.

"When you resort to name calling, you have lost the argument"

You cant paint it however you want to but the simple fact remains the IDL your are talking about is a document that is not legal anywhere.

I have not said one word about any un-official/fake licenses/permitts/documents. When I have used the term IDL it has been as a synonym to IDP.

If you have a driver's licence from an ASEAN country, then you don't need anything else. All ASEAN licenses are valid in each ASEAN country. I have an lucky to have my Singapore licence which is issued for life, and that's all I need, unless I want to ride a motorbike, which would require me to get a separate licence, as my Singapire licence is only for cars.

Hi guys.

You people out there do have problems most of us don't encounter.

The first year in Thailand, some 12 years ago, I got fed up with the road block fines (tea money).

Every year now I carry reduced size, encapsulated copies of, Passport, Visa and UK drivers licence. I

have never used a IDP.

I hire a car from Hertz or Budget for 3 months every year. I have been stopped for tea money on many, many occasions. I show them the copy docs and they wave me on, with no trouble.

Chiang Mia traffic police are the worst offenders for stopping tourists and back off if you say you want to go to the police station.

The next are the Hua Hin police road blocks at the traffic lights before the Palace. But give no trouble if you have documents, real or copy.

REMEMBER these spot checks must have an officer present by law, (i.e. Lt. Col.) You can insist on speaking with the officer (who generally can't speak another language) and he will let you carry on.

Good driving -- GerryX

Of course this is completely wrong. As Farma has suggested, it is an IDP that is necessary.

idp-453x640.jpg

This picture is interesting, as it shows that UK issues at IDP based on "1949" treaty valid for one year.

This is the "issue" that is acknowledged/required in Thailand.

E.g. Germany (and maybe Switzerland) issue an IDP based on "1968" treaty, valid for three years.

Strictly spoken this would not be acceptable for Thailand.

Seems like they handle this "liberally".

The picture of the British IDP issued by the AA really takes me

Back.

I have issued thousands of them.

I worked for the AA for 32 years.

Happy days.

My understanding is that there could be a problem with insurance if needed after being in Thailand using an IDP and your home country license. I have always assumed that what Ulic said is correct, "If you are on a tourist visa in Thailand you must make a boarder run every 90 days

so that resets your license," Since I'm here on a Non-Imm O (Marriage) I have to leave every 90 days, so shouldn't be a problem.

I got a chuckle out of the UK IDP image being from "AA Road Services". Where I'm from AA stands for "Alcoholics Anonymous". It's obviously different in the UK.

My understanding is that there could be a problem with insurance if needed after being in Thailand using an IDP and your home country license. I have always assumed that what Ulic said is correct, "If you are on a tourist visa in Thailand you must make a boarder run every 90 days

so that resets your license," Since I'm here on a Non-Imm O (Marriage) I have to leave every 90 days, so shouldn't be a problem.

I got a chuckle out of the UK IDP image being from "AA Road Services". Where I'm from AA stands for "Alcoholics Anonymous". It's obviously different in the UK.

Automobile Association suggests this is what AA may mean.

Those international licenses have not been valid in Thailand for years. You are expected to get a Thai license even if you only come here for one day.

Rubbish.

I've been stopped 3 times in the past 8 years driving with my IDL. Once on the motor highway, once in Pattaya, and once in Prachinburi city and never had a problem. Maybe just some honest cops??

Rubbish.

I've been stopped 3 times in the past 8 years driving with my IDL. Once on the motor highway, once in Pattaya, and once in Prachinburi city and never had a problem. Maybe just some honest cops??

There are plenty of honest cops out there. I have driven about 150,000 km in Thailand over the last ten years and have been stopped around 100 times. The problem is that when you drive a lot you will eventually encounter bad cops, and when you do you will realize that there is no justice to back you up when you are right and the cop is wrong.

Either way IDL implies the same thing as IDP.

Only for the simpletons amongst us.

So you say that the Belgian government consists of simpletons?

http://belgium.usembassy.gov/drivers-licenses.html

International Driver's Licenses are obtainable through the local city administration offices in Belgium, or through the American Automobile Association in the United States.

Edited by TheCruncher

Since when does someone on a Non O marriage have to leave every 90 days?

Just asking: the IDPs were valid for motorcycles?

Category "A" stamped?

Category A is for motorcycle.

Does it comply with the convention/treaty of 1949 or 1968? Thailand is not part of the 1968 treaty so those are not valid in Thailand.

If they consider you as a resident it is also not valid.

If the cop don't want it to be valid it is also not valid.

For my money those IDPs are useless. Get a Thai license instead, in most cases it is cheaper than the IDP and it fits in your wallet.

Your post is nonsense. IDP are valid and necessary in Thailand for tourists. What tourist would be expected to apply for a Thai licence? Please don't write misleading nonsense. I don't think that you can highlight even a single case where an IDP has been rejected as invalid.

Did you read the OP?

Yes, I did. An International Driving Licence is not an International Driving Permit. You seem to be having problems with understanding this.

But pictures have been posted here to enable you to see the difference.

Does it comply with the convention/treaty of 1949 or 1968? Thailand is not part of the 1968 treaty so those are not valid in Thailand.

For my money those IDPs are useless. Get a Thai license instead, in most cases it is cheaper than the IDP and it fits in your wallet.

Your post is nonsense. IDP are valid and necessary in Thailand for tourists. What tourist would be expected to apply for a Thai licence? Please don't write misleading nonsense. I don't think that you can highlight even a single case where an IDP has been rejected as invalid.

Did you read the OP?

Yes, I did. An International Driving Licence is not an International Driving Permit. You seem to be having problems with understanding this.

I understood what the OP meant with the term IDL and answered the question rather than marking words and assuming the OP was incapable of understanding that an unofficial document such as shown in those posted pictures is invalid.

Since when does someone on a Non O marriage have to leave every 90 days?

Since forever that I can remember. For me, it's now going on 9 years. I don't do a 90 day report. I am not retired in Thailand but split my time between here and my home country. I think you are confused with the Non-Imm OA or "Long Stay" visa, which some call a "Retirement" visa.

http://thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=3

Did you read the OP?

I understood what the OP meant with the term IDL and answered the question rather than marking words and assuming the OP was incapable of understanding that an unofficial document such as shown in those posted pictures is invalid.

Sorry but your suggestion that the authorities here expect you to have a Thai licence from day one was just nonsense.

An IDP according to the 1949 convention is what is necessary. A Belgian IDL according to 1968 convention is not valid in Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

Did you read the OP?

Sorry but your suggestion that the authorities here expect you to have a Thai licence from day one was just nonsense.

An IDP according to the 1949 convention is what is necessary. A Belgian IDL according to 1968 convention is not valid in Thailand.

Because the police does not always honor a ID_ (fill in license or permit, whichever you like) therefore the authorities must expect a tourist to have a local license for the first day. There was a measure of irony in my statement that you may have missed.

The OP asked what to do and after four pages of marking words, name calling, off topic about car rental at the airport, VISA rules etc my comment is so far the only giving an answer.

Edited by NightRider70

Did you read the OP?

I don't see anything about Belgium in particular mentioned in your link, but I can confirm that I received a Thai driving license on the simple presentation of my Belgian driving LICENSE.

So do you claim that Thailand offers me a Thai driving license on display of a document that they don't recognize ?

I don't see anything about Belgium in particular mentioned in your link, but I can confirm that I received a Thai driving license on the simple presentation of my Belgian driving LICENSE.

So do you claim that Thailand offers me a Thai driving license on display of a document that they don't recognize ?

That is exactly how illogical the Thai system operates. My American drivers license was not recoqnized for driving in Thailand but at the same time it was recognized by the land transport office to get a Thai license without taking the driving nor test written test. Any American licenses that has the driving classes explained on the flip side is (or was) transferable to a Thai license, but at the same time not valid for driving.

That is exactly how illogical the Thai system operates. My American drivers license was not recoqnized for driving in Thailand but at the same time it was recognized by the land transport office to get a Thai license without taking the driving nor test written test. Any American licenses that has the driving classes explained on the flip side is (or was) transferable to a Thai license, but at the same time not valid for driving.

Did you have the IDP as well as you US licence ?