air quality at higher elevations around CM?

seesip

Yes it does. I hike & cycle high up during the pollution season. No monitoring stations to help you, but the air definitely feels better. Would be nice to find a house rental high up for March / April within commuting distance to CM. Not everyone can head for the beach sad.png

But but but: >PM10 is the less dangerous and falls to earth quickly, the lighter more dangerous particles <PM 2.5 stay airborne and rise higher for longer.

Just a thought.

And, hopefully, dispersed? The only solution is to lock yourself in a filtered room for 2 -3 months a year, or move. Go back to England?

I'm thinking Fiji, Solomon Islands or similar. biggrin.png

But but but: >PM10 is the less dangerous and falls to earth quickly, the lighter more dangerous particles <PM 2.5 stay airborne and rise higher for longer.

Just a thought.

And, hopefully, dispersed? The only solution is to lock yourself in a filtered room for 2 -3 months a year, or move. Go back to England?

I'm thinking Fiji, Solomon Islands or similar. biggrin.png

Hope you take your bagged leaves with you, assuming you haven't burned everything whistling.gif

Not always better.

My friend is working at American Pacific American School in Ban Pong (half way to Samoeng) and PM10 level reached at school 500 today. They have a device able to measure it. In the city readings were lower (about 200) at the same time.

I think it depends if they are burning near your location also.

Not always better.

My friend is working at American Pacific American School in Ban Pong (half way to Samoeng) and PM10 level reached at school 500 today. They have a device able to measure it. In the city readings were lower (about 200) at the same time.

Your mate needs to get his machine calibrated, it's seriously broken, I'm nearby that location and if it were even a quarter of the number you mention, we would have seen and felt it, we didn't!.

http://aqicn.org/city/chiang-mai/

Ideally I'd like to find a guesthouse at a higher elevation, where hopefully the air quality would be better. Part of the problem is a lack of data at those higher places so I'd only have anecdotal evidence. I found a website that estimates elevation on any map points, and so far the highest option is around 1200m, which is the same as Mon Cham. The air seems cleaner up there when I've gone camping, but never during the burning season. Might have to give it a test run in the next few weeks.

Look at the data for the past years for the Doi Suthep station.

It's marginally better, but not really worth the bother IMHO.

I'm checking aqicn.org but don't see a station listed on Doi Suthep, they just show Yupparaj and Thaphae. Which site are you using?

Not always better.

the forest fire that started in Mai Hia Ni 2-days ago made its way over the West ridge and is now on Baan Pong side, the wind is also carrying the smoke up Samoeng valley. So APS Should be concerned....but a reading of 500 would = evacuation NOW. For a reading that high they would have to be surrounded by a fire or worst.

Look at the data for the past years for the Doi Suthep station.

It's marginally better, but not really worth the bother IMHO.

I'm checking aqicn.org but don't see a station listed on Doi Suthep, they just show Yupparaj and Thaphae. Which site are you using?

There is/was a mobile measuring station that was typically situated at the Phu Phing Palace, VERY high up. (Higher actually than you could likely find a place to stay anywhere near town.)

The historical data should still be available, but right now there are only the Old Town one near the Red Cross building, and then the one in Mae Rim near the provincial government complex.

Anyway the readings that high up were better, but still not exactly healthy during the worst of it. Plus that was higher up than you can reasonably stay. (Maybe some places high up near Doi Angkhang or Om Koi or something... but to be honest if you're going that far then it makes more sense to just head South and drive for a similar time to be completely out of it.

We are in the same boat. My husband and I work remotely and just moved to Thailand about a month ago and deciding to settle in Chiang Mai as we both have fond memories of this city. However, the last time I was here was 7 years ago and I don't remember the air quality being this bad. I'm due to have a baby in July but am really worried about the pollution here and how that might effect my unborn child and newborn baby. I'm finding certain times unbearable and not able to take deep breaths when outside. We are planning to travel around for the month of March and then come back in April but I've read that the smog can last through May and this year especially due to El Nino. We have found some beautiful houses in Mae Rim about 30 minutes from Chiang mai and I'm wondering if the air quality will be much better there. It is not necessarily higher altitude but the area seems blocked off by the surrounding hills and there are no farms in site except for rice fields (which I don't think they burn?). I'm reluctant to sign a one year lease as I don't know if the pollution will be unbearable and don't want to have to leave our home next year for 2-3 months. I'm wondering if we should look elsewhere in Thailand to live but not sure where. We despise overrun tourist hotspots like Phuket and Pattaya. I've heard great things about Koh Lanta but I'm not sure if having a child there is the best idea as I'm not familiar with the hospitals. Any thoughts?

My house, set in the Sansai countryside around 18ks from town, is surrounded by huge trees and other greenery, and I've also planted trees in the garden. Even when the pollution in CM has been bad, the air quality here has been acceptable apart from a few days. Although there are a number of rice fields nearby, the locals very rarely burn, which helps a lot. I'd heard about the problem before I came here and chose my site carefully as a result.

We are in the same boat. My husband and I work remotely and just moved to Thailand about a month ago and deciding to settle in Chiang Mai as we both have fond memories of this city. However, the last time I was here was 7 years ago and I don't remember the air quality being this bad. I'm due to have a baby in July but am really worried about the pollution here and how that might effect my unborn child and newborn baby. I'm finding certain times unbearable and not able to take deep breaths when outside. We are planning to travel around for the month of March and then come back in April but I've read that the smog can last through May and this year especially due to El Nino. We have found some beautiful houses in Mae Rim about 30 minutes from Chiang mai and I'm wondering if the air quality will be much better there. It is not necessarily higher altitude but the area seems blocked off by the surrounding hills and there are no farms in site except for rice fields (which I don't think they burn?). I'm reluctant to sign a one year lease as I don't know if the pollution will be unbearable and don't want to have to leave our home next year for 2-3 months. I'm wondering if we should look elsewhere in Thailand to live but not sure where. We despise overrun tourist hotspots like Phuket and Pattaya. I've heard great things about Koh Lanta but I'm not sure if having a child there is the best idea as I'm not familiar with the hospitals. Any thoughts?

FWIW I live in Mae Rim. there's currently a light background smell of wood smoke and visibility is reasonable, my view of the mountains is obscured by what appears to be haze rather than pollution - it's not unpleasant by any means. By contrast to previous years when I lived in the centre of Chiang Mai where my view from a high floor was often limited to hundreds of metres, here I don't have the visualization of the burning season, out of sight out of mind perhaps. But we are also in a heavily wooded area which seems to help, even though workmen are currently burning piles of leaves around the streets and fields.

Anyone live in Lamphun? Just checked the AQI this morning and although Chiang Mai was moderate at around 64, Lamphun is in the red at 156. Just wondering what the heck is going on down there.

Lamphun is always high, it gets the air currents from the South, Lampang in particular with its coal fired generator, one of the largest in the North.

There are some delightfull, low key, places south of Hua Hin which has an international standard hospital.

Bangsaphan is our get away that's 2.5 hours drive south of Hua Hin.Problem is there is always a lack of infrastructure once you get away from the main tourist hot spots hospitals ,dental,schools, supermarket shopping etc they are more retirement areas.

Sugggest you google those areas and do some research on them.I would avoid islands everything is more expensive.

I doubt the smoke situation is going to improve although some hae found pockets which they say are ok .Every year there are statements that things will change, fines issued,farmer education etc, but there is no evidence of that showing an change in the 7 years we have been here in CM

The worst of the bad air seems to clear up by the first week of April. Unfortunately when it's bad, it's the entire region that's affected (basically all of Northern Thailand). Bangkok and further south are not affected.

Anyone live in Lamphun? Just checked the AQI this morning and although Chiang Mai was moderate at around 64, Lamphun is in the red at 156. Just wondering what the heck is going on down there.

Lamphun is always high, it gets the air currents from the South, Lampang in particular with its coal fired generator, one of the largest in the North.

Interesting point. Yeah, Lampang has to deal with Mae Moh year round....not good.

Moving to the South (islands) comes with the minor issue of Indonesia's burning season which makes this one look pretty weedy in comparison. Hua Hin and surrounds would seem to be your best hopes of escaping the burning seasons. Though to be fair - so far, at least, it's pretty minor stuff - living in London or Paris would be worse comparably.

I live 70k North of CM city, on the way to Phrao. It is a higher elevation, and yes, the air is cleaner - not perfect on the bad days, but better than the city. I do 1 or 2 trips per week into CM; about 90 minute journey and it is noticeable, during the 'smog' season, that it gets worse on the journey.