air quality at higher elevations around CM?

seesip

I live 70k North of CM city, on the way to Phrao. It is a higher elevation, and yes, the air is cleaner - not perfect on the bad days, but better than the city. I do 1 or 2 trips per week into CM; about 90 minute journey and it is noticeable, during the 'smog' season, that it gets worse on the journey.

Any idea what your elevation is? Or if you can send me latitude/longitude i can check.

But but but: >PM10 is the less dangerous and falls to earth quickly, the lighter more dangerous particles <PM 2.5 stay airborne and rise higher for longer.

Just a thought.

And, hopefully, dispersed? The only solution is to lock yourself in a filtered room for 2 -3 months a year, or move. Go back to England?

I am going back to England at the begining of March for a month as I do most years, I love CM but I am not gonna stick around in March!!

But but but: >PM10 is the less dangerous and falls to earth quickly, the lighter more dangerous particles <PM 2.5 stay airborne and rise higher for longer.

Just a thought.

And, hopefully, dispersed? The only solution is to lock yourself in a filtered room for 2 -3 months a year, or move. Go back to England?

I am going back to England at the begining of March for a month as I do most years, I love CM but I am not gonna stick around in March!!

I do, too, most years. Pollution from traffic in UK cities gets bad too sad.png

Look at the data for the past years for the Doi Suthep station.

It's marginally better, but not really worth the bother IMHO.

I'm checking aqicn.org but don't see a station listed on Doi Suthep, they just show Yupparaj and Thaphae. Which site are you using?

There is/was a mobile measuring station that was typically situated at the Phu Phing Palace, VERY high up. (Higher actually than you could likely find a place to stay anywhere near town.)

The historical data should still be available, but right now there are only the Old Town one near the Red Cross building, and then the one in Mae Rim near the provincial government complex.

Anyway the readings that high up were better, but still not exactly healthy during the worst of it. Plus that was higher up than you can reasonably stay. (Maybe some places high up near Doi Angkhang or Om Koi or something... but to be honest if you're going that far then it makes more sense to just head South and drive for a similar time to be completely out of it.

Not everyone can pack up & leave for a couple of months or more (please don't reply it's only a few weeks of bad air). Would be nice to find somewhere easy to come back every 2 or 3 days to water the garden, feed the hounds....

http://air4thai.pcd.go.th/web/index.php

This is "Thailand's air quality and situations report" - there is a reading for Doi Suthep.

That was clear as mud - or the haze over Doi Suthep.

That was in reply to a previous post asking about the AQ-readings on Doi Suthep (higher elevation)....kinda what this whole thread is about...the website is in english so you might be able to put two and two together.

For cleaner air and cooler year round temps. check out Baan Mae Kampong about 50kms northeast out on 1317. This is where Flight of the Gibbon operates. The elevation is like 1300m and surrounded by thick rainforest. Its an eco-system onto its self,I believe there are homestay options around there.Further up the very winding road is Chae Son National Park on the Lampang side. The Giant is also up this way but go left at the branching of the road,right goes to Kampong.

Edited by HaleySabai

Not everyone can pack up & leave for a couple of months or more (please don't reply it's only a few weeks of bad air). Would be nice to find somewhere easy to come back every 2 or 3 days to water the garden, feed the hounds....

Yes indeed, and I agree. Sadly though that's not possible. Unless you fly in every couple days.