Bring cash to Thailand

wally1k

Ardokano, I assume you have never left a UK airport with over 10,000 equivalent. They have the power to confiscate cash until they are satisfied it came from a legitimate source. They regularly use this power.

Poster chiang mai has correctly pointed out the potential risks.

What power? 2009 get 340k and go to China (Beijing).

Have paper from two bank i get its ammount. Just show. And GO.

Point

Its in China cash exchange rate (after 50k us) higest.

In China declarate 320k too. And GO even not ask any paper.

I do not know what about you talking , but if get amount from bank it some proof legimate.

Becouse if you get in bank accont big ammount BANK ask about it clean money..

Ps

I do not know what about you talking

What potencial risk?

Stolen? I do not know any statistic ( bank its hide)

But i Know minimum 6 guys have stolen 30k up from bank account(two more than 150k)

And only one guys from China when stolen cash in street (near 2 ml RMB- its be that timenear 280k us$)

About risk at airport.. 2006-2012 i know few guys who regular get cash 100k up and gust few time stop more than 10 min (call bank or some like this is)

And Once i know russian guys get trouble in China border, have in cash 1ml US$ up but no have any paper where from money.

So sorry i rrealy do not know statistic. And may be me and guys i know be luky.

Tell me where from information about cash risk?

;)

Honestly carrying cash is The Best Bet ....Chinese love carrying it and believe it to be the best way as Long as you are not one of those panicky Travelers who will worry every 15 seconds if someone is eyeing your bag

I have always thought the exchange rate is one of the best ways

If you don't want to get tracked that's the best thing about big Thai families

Everyone can go and exchange $1000 for you using their ID cards and then you wait there collect it with a big Wai and buy everyone a big dinner for the trouble

No commission to pay , minimum waiting time and worked for me for years with no fuss

Honestly carrying cash is The Best Bet ....Chinese love carrying it and believe it to be the best way as Long as you are not one of those panicky Travelers who will worry every 15 seconds if someone is eyeing your bag thumbsup.gif

I have always thought the exchange rate is one of the best ways thumbsup.gif

If you don't want to get tracked that's the best thing about big Thai families thumbsup.gif

Everyone can go and exchange $1000 for you using their ID cards thumbsup.gif and then you wait there collect it with a big Wai and buy everyone a big dinner for the trouble wai.gif

No commission to pay , minimum waiting time and worked for me for years with no fuss thumbsup.gif

Exactly. There are pros and cons for every method of operation.

Lets review the topic...

Check with the relevant authorities before travelling for definitive instructions about reporting procedures.

Have documentation proving the money is legitimate in order to minimise possible inconvenience.

Have a great trip!

Any cash left at the end of your trip? Leave it with me and save any hassle carrying it back.

That sums up what the op was asking.

If you're talking big money, like 10k or 20k USD or more, Why not just wire the money to your account in Thailand?

depends exchange rate at the time,if crap cash gives you a bit of wiggle room to change when rate better.

transfer to US$ account, change Baht when you want, get the TT rate which is better than the cash rate

• 2 years later...
On 2/12/2016 at 7:07 PM, bluebluewater said:

In all my travels in & out of the US I've never even seen a US Customs agent while departing the country. There is no "immigration" upon leaving the country. You just go to the airport and through TSA security and fly yer ass outta there. I would not know whom to report an amount over 10K even if I had it. To TSA? Maybe I guess. To the lovely Korean Air gate agent? Probably not. Not to mention that my first and only pass through of TSA is somewhere in Confederate America for a flight that takes me to an international airport that takes me out of the country.

I guess it happens but I've never seen it.

I have seen it happen many times as well as sniffer dogs in the Jetway! (HNL and SFO). They are looking for CASH related to money laundering and Tax evasion. $10000.01 they can confiscate it is then up to you to explain it. Same for bringing cash in. I brought in more than $20K to LAX once, did not want to risk it so I advised the CBP Agent at the customs exit. (I had copies of pay slips and Tax return to prove legitimate income).

They took me over to the inspection area filled had me fill out a simple form, I don't think they actually checked the loot or searched my bag seemed very routine. 

Edited by ChiangMaiLightning2143