Any tips on making baby back ribs?

davejonesbkk

I bought two racks of these yesterday and want to take a shot at making some in the oven tomorrow, I have barbecue sauce and bought all the herbs and spices needed etc, does anyone have any good recipes and tips?

I read one recipe on Allrecipes but it seemed like quite a long time, talked about cooking them for 2hrs and then another 50 mins with the sauce on, is it really that long?

choose whatever sauce/marinade/rub you like,plenty of recipes on the net.

You definitely want to slow cook them at a low temp of around 160degrees celcius, otherwise not as tender.

This is my staple Friday night footy dinner.

I use a bbq sauce marinade then slow cook them for three hours or,until the meat is nearly falling off, then finish them off on a hot bqq grill for 5 to ten minutes so the outside can caramilize and get that bbq flavor

Edited by machans88

Poach them first for about 2 hours. Pour the BBQ sauce over them and cook in oven on highest temperature for 15 minutes. The meat will be falling off the bone.

With this method, most of the flavor will be in the poaching liquid and the texture of the meat will be, well, boiled (think mushy).

The other recipes made more sense. Low and slow to break down the connective tissues, making them lovely gelatinous tastiness.

Another possibility would be go even lower and slower. I've tried it in my oven at 110 c and left them for 4-5 hours. Amazing result.

Poach them first for about 2 hours. Pour the BBQ sauce over them and cook in oven on highest temperature for 15 minutes. The meat will be falling off the bone.

With this method, most of the flavor will be in the poaching liquid and the texture of the meat will be, well, boiled (think mushy).

The other recipes made more sense. Low and slow to break down the connective tissues, making them lovely gelatinous tastiness.

Another possibility would be go even lower and slower. I've tried it in my oven at 110 c and left them for 4-5 hours. Amazing result.

Not at all. At a low temperature poach the ribs will obtain the flavour of the liquid and will retain the texture of pork.

When I poach I use onion, carrot, celery and 5 spice.

poaching is really an awful way to make a baby back ribs. No matter how much you claim the flavor is still there it really isn't the best way to make a good rib. Now I love rib soup but it is different.

meatboy and machanas recipes are good. If you have a wire rack to keep the ribs out of the stock.

I am not a fan of fall off the bone meat, as I like a little bite, but typically the 3,2,1 method is what most competitions use. Too long for me to enjoy nice ribs.

Dry rubbing your meat and cooking them on a low heat for 1-2 hours then coating them in a sauce then finishing them off usually gives a good result.

I use a grill though and not an oven and I always smoke with a mix of wood chunks, but typically too much effort for most people

Baby backs have more meat than the spare rib portion of the rib. Baby backs grill better. Spare ribs have more flavor and do well being cooked low and slow. I have a process where I marinade in apple juice, apple cider vinegar and some tobasco. Then after a night in that I put a rub on them and sit them for an hour. Then coat them in mustard. Smoke them for about 6 hours at a low temp.........