Marriage/visa work permit scheduling problem

My marriage visa expires on august 29. I've been told by my visa agency that I have to be in Thailand on Sept 28 ( or thereabouts) to pick up my newly extended visa. Unlike retirement visas,  there's a period of a month when Immigration holds onto a marriage visas.  If I'm not there to pick it up on that date, my visa expires. I had planned to be out of Thailand on that date Is there any way to circumvent this rule. I can opt for a retirement visa instead, but if I do, I lose my work permit. Is there any workaround here, I could also just let my visa expire and start the whole process again, but it's a lot more work when a new work permit is involved. I'm hoping there's some way I can do all this early so my visa is returned to me before I leave. But I don't hold out much hope for that.

does your office date the 30 days from date of application or date of expiry, ie apply on july 30th collect 30 days later august 28/29

Towards end of your current permission of stay obtain a "60 day extension to visit wife"

This will push your window to obtain annual extension (12 months) back by 60 days. 

• Agree 1

Each office has its own different procedures for the 30 days under consideration period.

I had a similar issue at Jomtien in a previous year, and was told I would have to be there on the required date or extension cancelled, they offered no leeway, so I rearranged my exit flights.

I would have suggested talking to the office and showing your flights to see what they say, but you are using an agent, and if they can not get any concession I doubt you will get any joy.

Hope you get it sorted, and sorry for being pessimistic.

I doubt that the agent or anyone here has seen that particular set of circumstances before. Assuming you're in Thailand now I'd go to the immigration office asap and explain the situation to them, and see what they suggest. That way you'll know the solution will be acceptable to them.

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Towards end of your current permission of stay obtain a "60 day extension to visit wife"

This will push your window to obtain annual extension (12 months) back by 60 days. 

It's an intriguing idea but to do that I would have to lie. And, if I didn't get the extension would I still be able to get my retirement visa. But I will bring this up with my visa agency to see if they think that or something like it is feasible. Thanks.

5 hours ago, oldscool said:

I doubt that the agent or anyone here has seen that particular set of circumstances before. Assuming you're in Thailand now I'd go to the immigration office asap and explain the situation to them, and see what they suggest. That way you'll know the solution will be acceptable to them.

That also sounds like an idea that holds some promise. Can't hurt to try. Thanks.

6 hours ago, steve187 said:

does your office date the 30 days from date of application or date of expiry, ie apply on july 30th collect 30 days later august 28/29

date of expiry. if not, I would start the application soon.

24 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It's an intriguing idea but to do that I would have to lie. And, if I didn't get the extension would I still be able to get my retirement visa. But I will bring this up with my visa agency to see if they think that or something like it is feasible. Thanks.

No offense...however from your OP to this reply clearly you have very limited knowledge of options.

After all these years in Thailand that's surprising.

Obtaining a 60 day extension to visit wife is legit and well known.

If your agent has not suggested that then change agents

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Genuine question - trying to understand the OP's question but as many people do, he talks about his marriage visa ending when I believe he actually means his extension of stay. That being the case - are you saying that a 12 month extension of stay can be extended by 60 days?

39 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No offense...however from your OP to this reply clearly you have very limited knowledge of options.

Why would I ever have had occasion to learn about options that I never had reason to use?

At any rate, let's say I extend my stay for 2 months. But during part of that 2 month extension I will be outside of Thailand. How can that be reconciled with the reason for my extension of stay? Namely, to be with my wife here in Thailand. Maybe immigration doesn't really care? My extended visa will still be valid on my return? And what about my work permit?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, placeholder said:

My marriage visa expires on august 29. I've been told by my visa agency that I have to be in Thailand on Sept 28 ( or thereabouts) to pick up my newly extended visa. Unlike retirement visas,  there's a period of a month when Immigration holds onto a marriage visas.  If I'm not there to pick it up on that date, my visa expires. I had planned to be out of Thailand on that date Is there any way to circumvent this rule. I can opt for a retirement visa instead, but if I do, I lose my work permit. Is there any workaround here, I could also just let my visa expire and start the whole process again, but it's a lot more work when a new work permit is involved. I'm hoping there's some way I can do all this early so my visa is returned to me before I leave. But I don't hold out much hope for that.

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. Immigration used to let me come in early if they had received the paperwork early (sometimes 2 weeks early) but they got anal-retentive and would only let me pick it up on the one day. I had to let the extension go and reapply since I had to leave the country to start work in the US.

Edited by bunnydrops

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

Genuine question - trying to understand the OP's question but as many people do, he talks about his marriage visa ending when I believe he actually means his extension of stay. That being the case - are you saying that a 12 month extension of stay can be extended by 60 days?

Under section 2.24 of Immigration order 327/2557 you can extend your permission of stay for 60 days one time for each entry, to visit Thai spouse/family.
Provided the OP hasn't already applied for a 60-day extension since his entry, he can apply for one.

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Why would I ever have had occasion to learn about options that I never had reason to use?

At any rate, let's say I extend my stay for 2 months. But during part of that 2 month extension I will be outside of Thailand. How can that be reconciled with the reason for my extension of stay? Namely, to be with my wife here in Thailand. Maybe immigration doesn't really care? My extended visa will still be valid on my return? And what about my work permit?

OP, first understand you are not extending your visa. Visa cannot be extended, they are either 'used' on entry, or expire on the 'enter before' date.

Each year, you are applying to extend the original 90-day permit of stay granted from the Non O visa, by a further 365 days.
Extensions are 'permits' (of stay), not visas.

It would greatly help if you could advise the expiry date of your current extension.
The date you intend to depart Thailand.
The date you intend to return to Thailand.

What @DrJack54 has suggested is quite feasible, but dependent on the above dates.
If you can't return to Thailand before the 60-day extension expires to apply for a new 1-year extension, then your only option is to start from scratch again.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, placeholder said:

My marriage visa expires on august 29. I've been told by my visa agency that I have to be in Thailand on Sept 28

If you obtained a 60-day extension, you would be granted permission of stay until October 26th.

Obtain a single re-entry permit to cover the 60 day extension.

Provided you re-enter Thailand prior to October 26th, on entry you will be stamped in again until that date.
Then apply for the 1 year extension of stay before Oct 26th.

Your annual extensions will thereafter be renewable in October in later years.

Your work permit remains unaffected.

Edited by Liquorice

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

Didn't you apply for your 1-year extension to stay with Thai spouse, but now you're taking a trip, so did you lie?
Immigration understand from time to time you may have to take a trip outside Thailand, which is why they offer re-entry permits to protect any permission of stay already granted on your return. I take it on your return you'll be 'visiting' your Thai spouse again.

If you go for the extension based on retirement, then work is forbidden, and you'll lose the work permit.

11 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

are you allowed a work permit by using the 60 extension to visit the wife? It sounds like he already has a work permit and doesnt want to lose it.

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

only one 60 day wife extension allowed per entry, excluding re-entry permit re-entry, need to check if the one only has been used

6 hours ago, Dan O said:

are you allowed a work permit by using the 60 extension to visit the wife? It sounds like he already has a work permit and doesnt want to lose it.

That is correct. I don't want to have to reapply for a work permit. It takes a huge amount of paperwork to start again from scratch. Still, it would be a little  better to hold onto my marriage visa and have to reapply for a work permit than having to change back from a retirement visa to a marriage visa.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Dan O said:

49 minutes ago, placeholder said:

That is correct. I don't want to have to reapply for a work permit.

Applying for a 60 day extension doesn't alter your marital status.
It can only be applied for on the basis of legally being married to a Thai or having Thai family.

You're allowed to work and obtain a work permit when married to a Thai.

It's a 60-day extension to the 365 days already granted for the same reason, not a divorce.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Under section 2.24 of Immigration order 327/2557 you can extend your permission of stay for 60 days one time for each entry, to visit Thai spouse/family.
Provided the OP hasn't already applied for a 60-day extension since his entry, he can apply for one.

Thanks for that - good to know.

8 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Thanks for that - good to know.

Those with Non Imm O ME visas frequently applied for a 60-day extension to each 90 day entry.
Thus, border crossing were only required every 150 days for a new 90-day entry.
It also permitted them to stay for almost 17 months with just 3 border hops and 3 60 day extensions, before having to apply for a new visa.

My last marriage extension expired on 23 January 2024, I applied for a renewal on 10 January, and received a stamp in my passport to collect the visa on 9 February, which I duly did. So, 30 days from when I made the application. To be clear, I do not use an agent, I apply myself with the help of my wife

28 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Those with Non Imm O ME visas frequently applied for a 60-day extension to each 90 day entry.
Thus, border crossing were only required every 150 days for a new 90-day entry.
It also permitted them to stay for almost 17 months with just 3 border hops and 3 60 day extensions, before having to apply for a new visa.

Yes I've had several extensions to a multi and I was aware of the 17 months possibility. I just didn't realise that a 12 month extension of stay can be extended.

8 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Applying for a 60 day extension doesn't alter your marital status.
It can only be applied for on the basis of legally being married to a Thai or having Thai family.

You're allowed to work and obtain a work permit when married to a Thai.

It's a 60-day extension to the 365 days already granted for the same reason, not a divorce.

it was just a question for clarity about the 60 day extension.  I never said anything about changing status of being married or getting a divorce just whether it would affect you work permit. thanks for clarifying and for adding the unnecessary info

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

My last marriage extension expired on 23 January 2024, I applied for a renewal on 10 January, and received a stamp in my passport to collect the visa on 9 February, which I duly did. So, 30 days from when I made the application. To be clear, I do not use an agent, I apply myself with the help of my wife

Some Immigration offices date the 30-day under consideration period from the date of submitting your application, whilst others (like mine) date it from the expiry date of the existing extension.

2 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Yes I've had several extensions to a multi and I was aware of the 17 months possibility. I just didn't realise that a 12 month extension of stay can be extended.

Just to reiterate and as pointed out by @steve187

12 hours ago, steve187 said:

only one 60 day wife extension allowed per entry, excluding re-entry permit re-entry, need to check if the one only has been used

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

Some Immigration offices date the 30-day under consideration period from the date of submitting your application, whilst others (like mine) date it from the expiry date of the existing extension.

Which makes it very confusing for everyone; my marriage extensions have been done in Hua Hin for the last 5 years, and always the same: ie 30 days from day of application, and I always apply about 10 days before expiry date.

36 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Which makes it very confusing for everyone; my marriage extensions have been done in Hua Hin for the last 5 years, and always the same: ie 30 days from day of application, and I always apply about 10 days before expiry date.

Indeed. It varies

Here is post from ubonjoe I copied rather than whole thread...

"Most immigration office here in the Northeast start the 30 days for under consideration on the day you current extension or permit to stay." 

• Thanks 1