Smartphone mounter to motorcycle

JackKee

Nice. Learning from the Thai drivers how to drive with only 50% concentration on actually driving. Maybe watch a lakorn while you're at it!

Not really distracting for a confident motorcyclists - and that doesn't mean somebody that hasn't ridden a bike in the last 40 years and bought a Click when they hit Swampy. coffee1.gif

On my last two Gixers, I had radar detector, GPS, phone/music, and a 2-way intercom. All linked through a switching device to built in headphones in my Shoei.

The switching device was able to be programmed to give priority to each circuit. First was the radar (for obvious reasons), second was the GPS, third was the intercom, last came the music\phone.

So if you're cruising along at light speed listening to AC/DC and the missus starts talking on the intercom, the music cuts out and you can hear her. But while she's talking to you and the radar detector picks up a signal, that will override the intercom, or GPS or phone.....so you can't hear her saying foul words as the back wheel is dancing in the air.

"Honest officer, your radar must be faulty. You say you locked on to me at 95klm, I thought I was doing 100 - maybe my speedo reads a bit fast. But if your machine said I was doing 200 before you pushed the button, it must have been a low flying plane or something."

I actually used that line once and the cop had no choice but to let me go. Funny thing though, in the 50klms I had to travel to get home in rural NZ, I saw about 20 cops and the radar was virtually singing so much I turned it off. He called ahead and alerted all the coppers on the route - he didn't know I had a detector because it was mounted inside the front fairing, so expected me to gat caught by somebody else.

It's bloody hard to keep a Gixer under 100klm/h for nearly 50klms. It feels like you're about to fall over the clip-ons. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

I avoided that road for a few months after that. whistling.gif

Maps view has several advantages over voice only guidance (ear plugs). Example : map view shows up today date distance to next turn. On voice this comes sometimes pretty late. Nobody stare all of time navigator, quick look occasionally improve only safety and confidence. Everyone who has used navigator in bigger cities knows this. GPS is huge safety improvement when going from A to unknown B!

Edited by JackKee

Maps view has several advantages over voice only guidance (ear plugs). Example : map view shows up today date distance to next turn. On voice this comes sometimes pretty late. Nobody stare all of time navigator, quick look occasionally improve only safety and confidence. Everyone who has used navigator in bigger cities knows this. GPS is huge safety improvement when going from A to unknown B!

Exactly.

And even back in the dim, dark, distant past, it was normal as a touring motorcyclist to have a map pocket taped to your tank. They used to make tank bags with a map pocket on top that magnetised to the tank - they probably still do.

So mounting a GPS to a bike is just a modern version of having a good old fashioned paper map stuck on the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

You can find them in the central section of Maya on the 2nd or 3rd floor (can't remember which but it's the same floor as Asia Books).

Thank you "TheSiemReaper". I found exactly what I needed.

540 bath.

post-247284-14561140993001_thumb.jpg

Edited by JackKee

Hmmm. Might have to go take a look there tomorrow. Been looking for quite a while for something like this. Lazada only has 'This item ships from overseas' (so no COD). I looked at those Quadlock things from Aus that Panda Rider sells, 2,500 baht!!!!!

That one in the pic looks to be just the job. As for not concentrating on the road, a GPS mapper needs to be no more distracting than glancing down at your instrument panel.

Re the pic.. I suggest you look to see if your phone has a 'hand lanyard' loop hole and add one with a clip on clip off backup system.. Hit a Thai pothole at speed and an expensive smartphone can easily get knocked out of those.

I personally use one on my mountainbike, but I opted to get a different design.. Its a bar clip, that (strongly with a locking system) attaches to a vinyl envelope, with both a zip lock seal and a fold and velcro so its 100% waterproof also.. This system is both easy to remove and yet 100% secure when on the bike. Plus it will protect in wet season. The downside is its a little less easy to access all buttons.

Ah. That sounds ideal. Where did you get that from? I'll be after one for my hybrid bike too. That's the only thing that worries me with the spring loaded mounts. Like you say. Even a poorly joined road surface could create enough of a jolt.

The Aussie Quadlock system looks just the job. But at double the price here it's costly. The system even has a rain cover for the phone. But 2,500!!! Might see if a buddy can bring one over. Pity there's no place to mount one on a Click. No way would I trust the car sucker for that. And of course there's no handle bar as such.

I have used these for years without any problems. Supposed to protect your phone no matter what. Unfortunately they have to be ordered in (Ebay) as I do not think anyone sells them aorund here. Various mount are available for the case. http://www.ultimateaddons.com/Cases

post-104371-0-89208300-1456975421_thumb.

Edited by Dellboy218

I personally use one on my mountainbike, but I opted to get a different design.. Its a bar clip, that (strongly with a locking system) attaches to a vinyl envelope, with both a zip lock seal and a fold and velcro so its 100% waterproof also.. This system is both easy to remove and yet 100% secure when on the bike. Plus it will protect in wet season. The downside is its a little less easy to access all buttons.

Ah. That sounds ideal. Where did you get that from? I'll be after one for my hybrid bike too. That's the only thing that worries me with the spring loaded mounts. Like you say. Even a poorly joined road surface could create enough of a jolt.

The pushbike / MTB shop thats on canal Rd after mae hia halfway to Royal flora traffic lights..

Here https://goo.gl/Wb3uH4

They had a couple of different sizes of the envelope part that all use the same double locking bar clip.. Its ideal for my needs and feels totally secure once clipped.