Buying gold

I'm looking to start including physical gold as part of my savings and investments. I am aware that gold bars can be purchased as an investment from gold shops here.

Does anyone have any experience in this area and could highlight pros and cons as well as recommend any particular shop? Are there any restrictions about selling the gold at a later date?

Thanks

I have bought gold here and made no money. I have no luck but that is another subject.

They have a different view on gold on here. You pay more for the jewelry than you do the gold bars that are the same weight.

They prefer you to buy the jewelry. I think in the hope you wear it all the time and the gold might be a few grams less and you get less for it when you come to sell it.? Not sure.

The other advice I got was to stick with the same shop. Buy and sell in the same one.

Another issue here in LoS is security. Do you trust those around you if you have solid gold in a shoe box under the bed ?

Even those tin pot home safes are pretty much useless.

Another issue with locals is that they will tell you "the best shop to go to " where unknown to you they might get commission for bringing in the farrang....

My advise is just go to a big shop in a big mall. Check the latest price on their display board and go for it.

P.s. if anyone else thinks this is <deleted>...I am just going on my personal experience...

The gold that I buy in Thailand I go to Bangkok,Chinatown area.Yaraphat rd.I have found A good chop there.They won't cheat me.

The reason to buy Gold in Thailand is because labor is cheaper.

sure! worker's in Thai goldmines earn much less than their colleagues in Australia and Canada saai.gif

The difference in price between buying and selling 1 baht weight of 96.5% gold bar is only 100bt, so the "fee" from spot price is only 50t which is damn low.

Jewellery is different with a much wider spread. Thats the price for the workmanship. Price is regulated by some national body and prices updated frequently during opening hours on electronic or manual boards. The recommended shops are the ones in Chinatown. Don't know the names but they have dragons, or tigers or elephants etc as their logo. I have never had problems selling bars across vendors.

I can recommend aurora. Their 1 baht bullion bars have their name and logo stamped on them and they always give a full written receipt for your purchase with its own individual number. Seems to me that this facilitates selling back to them if I need to, and cuts down on the chance of any fake gold.

However countries like the UK dont recognise Thai gold as an Investment (only 999 is considered investment quality and therefore not subject to VAT)...something to consider if you were thinking of buying in Thailand but perhaps would want to take abroad in the future.

Worth noting are sites like bullionvault.com where you can invest in physical gold in your name but vault in a country to suit you..hard asset alliance is another similar.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a lot of golf at 5,000 baht about 16 years ago. continued until about 5 years ago - sold when it peaked at 27,000. Made a lot of money.

I nearly bought a couple of months ago again and thinking of it now. It is a good time - forget the stock market, that's in for a big shock.