Good Builder in Chiang Mai for Renovation Project

Rimkok

Can anybody recommended a good and reliable builder in the Chiang Mai area for some renovation work to a house?

Work includes fitting an additional en-suite bathroom upstairs, extending a bedroom (involves removing walls so could get messy).

2 further bathrooms to be fitted. Redecorating inside and out. Some electrical work. New kitchen units.

but you don't need a builder...you need a handful of different tradesmen. The wall work is cheap and simple (not a load bearing wall)...but by no means do you want those guys to do any electrical work. Break it down into individual tasks, plot the critical path, and start with the first item...go with them to buy the materials on your account...Even in the West, if you find one guy to do a big remodel project, and advance him money...you are asking for trouble....most work is performed under one contractors license; not by the contractor himself....ironically, they will be the first to point to their subs to blame for trouble, including accidents. You will also learn a new Thai word, that will be frequently used, especially after 14:00....."poong ni." Samesame as "tomollow."

I agree with Bangmai, don't use a single builder, use separate trades people. I can recommend a really capable electrician if needed, he just finished rewiring my entire house and he did an excellent job. I can also recommend a general builder for the wall/demolition work, if needed - plumbers are easy to find.

I hesitate to do this as there are so many things that can go wrong from both sides, but, my wife's brother 'Pong' is excellent in every way, and knows all the trades (electric/plumbing/metal-workers etc).

If you want to see a recent example of his work come down to our store http://www.noichiangmai.com/ - Pong (with a small crew) gutted it (Nov-Dec 2014) & did a 100% rebuild, incl new walls, ceiling, roof, tile, all new wiring - and built an adjoinging small 3bdrm house behind (including 2 modern bathrooms). His father was a builder/renovator and Pong has done this all his life (mid 40's).

Honest, reliable, wants good wages for top work - no cheapie charlies or I will be personally upset as I would hate to see him ripped off. He does not do everything himself but brings in quality sub-trades as required with quotes in advance.

Really nice guy also, does not speak English - his sister Noi (my wife) does speak English & Thai (her cell 081-023-0032), and myself of course.

Doug

map to the store

map.jpg

I hesitate to do this as there are so many things that can go wrong from both sides, but, my wife's brother 'Pong' is excellent in every way, and knows all the trades (electric/plumbing/metal-workers etc).

If you want to see a recent example of his work come down to our store http://www.noichiangmai.com/ - Pong (with a small crew) gutted it (Nov-Dec 2014) & did a 100% rebuild, incl new walls, ceiling, roof, tile, all new wiring - and built an adjoinging small 3bdrm house behind (including 2 modern bathrooms). His father was a builder/renovator and Pong has done this all his life (mid 40's).

Honest, reliable, wants good wages for top work - no cheapie charlies or I will be personally upset as I would hate to see him ripped off. He does not do everything himself but brings in quality sub-trades as required with quotes in advance.

Really nice guy also, does not speak English - his sister Noi (my wife) does speak English & Thai (her cell 081-023-0032), and myself of course.

Doug

map to the store

map.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I am a regular at your shop. PM and email have been sent to you. Many thanks.

but you don't need a builder...you need a handful of different tradesmen. The wall work is cheap and simple (not a load bearing wall)...but by no means do you want those guys to do any electrical work. Break it down into individual tasks, plot the critical path, and start with the first item...go with them to buy the materials on your account...Even in the West, if you find one guy to do a big remodel project, and advance him money...you are asking for trouble....most work is performed under one contractors license; not by the contractor himself....ironically, they will be the first to point to their subs to blame for trouble, including accidents. You will also learn a new Thai word, that will be frequently used, especially after 14:00....."poong ni." Samesame as "tomollow."

Thanks for the reply you make some very good points.