Uzbekistan Tourist beaten and 'robbed' by Baht Bus Driver in South Pattaya

webfact

Uzbekistan Tourist beaten and 'robbed' by Baht Bus Driver in South Pattaya

taxi-1-2.jpg?fit=610%2C393

PATTAYA: - In the early hours of Saturday, a 21-year-old Uzbekistan man reported being assaulted and allegedly robbed of money and his passport close to the entrance of Walking Street in South Pattaya.

Mr. Turev Kamol had spent the night with a friend on Walking Street and was preparing to catch a Baht Bus back to his Hotel in Jomtien. He spoke with one Baht Bus Driver, stationed opposite the Bamboo Bar, and attempted to come to a deal over the price of the journey. Due to communication difficulties the negotiations halted and Mr. Kamol decided to approach another driver.

This reportedly angered the first driver who ran after Mr. Kamol and assaulted him with the help of 8 other Thai men. During the assault Mr. Kamol lost his passport and wallet which contained a reported 1,000 US Dollars.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/221500/uzbekistan-tourist-beaten-robbed-baht-bus-driver-south-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-02-15

Here's why these things will never stop. There are no consequences:

Surprisingly and despite this allegation by Mr. Kamol, Police decided not to investigate the claim any further as it was decided that the fact the man returned the wallet and passport was enough to excuse the man from being investigated, despite being identified by the victim.

Police continue to speak with Mr. Kamol at this time so the case can be brought to a quick and amicable conclusion.

The thugs should be put in jail and fined a hefty amount. Next time, a long jail term. Otherwise, things will never change. The police are just too lazy to do the right thing.

So let me see if I got this right. Get beaten up and have your wallet & passport stolen. You report it to the police. Then one of the guys that beat you up, returns your stuff to the police. And now the police do not want to do anything, because this guy at least returned your passport & wallet (minus most of your money). What is the point of even having a police force if they are too lazy to do anything??

Surprisingly and despite this allegation by Mr. Kamol, Police decided not to investigate the claim any further as it was decided that the fact the man returned the wallet and passport was enough to excuse the man from being investigated, despite being identified by the victim.

Police continue to speak with Mr. Kamol at this time so the case can be brought to a quick and amicable conclusion.

The thugs should be put in jail and fined a hefty amount. Next time, a long jail term. Otherwise, things will never change. The police are just too lazy to do the right thing.

Lack of consequences is indeed the reason but it's not exactly due to laziness. Thais like to smooth things over and a solution that involves everyone pretending that nothing happened is seen as a good thing all round and allows everyone to save face and look competent and good.

Of course it also means that the country is absolutely riddled with people who steal or are violent but have never been punished for it. Just look at the way misbehaving officials are transferred, rather than prosecuted and sacked in disgrace. If all criminal activity was reported and punished a lot more jails would need to be built.

Lack of consequences is indeed the reason but it's not exactly due to laziness. Thais like to smooth things over and a solution that involves everyone pretending that nothing happened is seen as a good thing all round and allows everyone to save face and look competent and good.

Of course it also means that the country is absolutely riddled with people who steal or are violent but have never been punished for it. Just look at the way misbehaving officials are transferred, rather than prosecuted and sacked in disgrace. If all criminal activity was reported and punished a lot more jails would need to be built.

Agreed. Maybe I should have said there was no money involved for them instead of saying lazy! LOL

wai2.gif

Fifteen years in Thailand and never assaulted by a baht-bus driver, I must be doing something wrong.

Last year we were having lunch at a riverside restaurant in Bangkok. A long tail boat guy comes by and asks if we want a tour. We had other things to do, so politely declined, but said maybe tomorrow as we were in the area for a few days.

He came back with a F-U, the price is double for you tomorrow. Pointing a finger at me, talking loudly, and saying things like cheap charlie in Thai as he walked away.

Lovely how tourists are treated here. Something desperately needs to be done to reset the minds of those who deal with tourists.

Fifteen years in Thailand and never assaulted by a baht-bus driver, I must be doing something wrong.

Last year we were having lunch at a riverside restaurant in Bangkok. A long tail boat guy comes by and asks if we want a tour. We had other things to do, so politely declined, but said maybe tomorrow as we were in the area for a few days.

He came back with a F-U, the price is double for you tomorrow. Pointing a finger at me, talking loudly, and saying things like cheap charlie in Thai as he walked away.

Lovely how tourists are treated here. Something desperately needs to be done to reset the minds of those who deal with tourists.

Then they say "Where have all the tourist gone"

Reset the minds of those that deal with tourists ?? I would not bet the farm on that. What needs resetting is the minds of tourists :

Best ignore and keep interactions with locals to a minimum.

Edited by morrobay

Reset the minds of those that deal with tourists ?? I would not bet the farm on that. What needs resetting is the minds of tourists :

Best ignore and keep interactions with locals to a minimum.

How do you keep interactions with locals to a minimum as a tourist? Impossible. I was polite and didn't deserve that kind of reply. I've been to many countries around the world. Some 85. I can't think of any that beat up tourists like they do here. Maybe Somalia?

Amazing how tourists are treated. The workers in the tourist industry don't realize we are their bread and butter. The Thais never have repercussions for their heinous acts against tourists. The cops don't enforce laws broken against tourists. Why do we even come here anymore.