Russian man's ear sliced off by flying knife in Patong fish market fight

webfact

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Russian tourist has probably lost an ear and perhaps an eye after being slashed by a vendor in crowded tourist area.

And nobody here, including me, is surprised.

Phuket, what a dump. Yet the tourist sheep keep coming despite the daily reports of violent attacks on tourists from tuk-tuk drivers, motorcycle muggers, vendors, boat "captains", nightclub security and so on and so on.

You won't see me there.

And then you get all the 20/20 hindsight experts coming on here blaming the Russian for not having the right change.

Edited by Briggsy

From the article:

"Police have yet to comment on this case."

good job, RTP thumbsup.gif

Why the derision? The only obligation of the police is to investigate incidents, why should they have to comment about them?

Actually, my dear, I am complimenting the police on not having commented on a current case. Normally, they can't wait...

Never pay street vendors and drivers with 1,000bht notes.

When you go to the ATM, never select 10,000bht ....... type in 9,900bht.

Then you have change.

Alternative

Always use 7-11 ATMs, then go straight in and buy a 20bht bag of crisps.

Then you have change.

Yeah, really good advice and not just for travellers to Thailand alone.

Hope this does not go any further.

The War of Jenkins' Ear (known as Guerra del Asiento in Spain) was a conflict between Britain and Spain that lasted from 1739 to 1748, with major operations largely ended by 1742. Its unusual name, coined by Thomas Carlyle in 1858,[5] refers to an ear severed from Robert Jenkins, a captain of a British merchant ship and acknowledged smuggler. The severed ear was subsequently exhibited before the British Parliament.

Yet another item that should be included in a yet to be conceived of pamphlet distributed at immigration counters at airports nationwide warning tourists upon entry to the fabled kingdom about what to do and not do in Thailand to avoid trouble. Suggestion to tourists would be to make sure to change large bills at 7-11's and other franchises that hold their employees to more familiar international standards such as the notion that there is an obligation to return change to customers. It happens to me occasionally that merchants don't return my change. Usually markets, taxis or bars in my experience, bars being by far the worst because you never know some do and some don't taxis at least you can count on to not being open to changing large bills. There was a supermarket in my neighborhood in Bangkok that would list satang on their prices but refuse to accept or return satang in change. Again, its the notion that you as a customer are second to the shop and their workers in the pecking order and are open season. Punch them for their transgressions and you are asking to die, so better to take pre-emptive action and have change and be prepared to control your sense of indignation and outrage, you are entitled to nothing as a paying customer, not even the goods you've paid for let alone anything resembling service.

It's a good idea to get in the habit of trying to cash your 1000 baht bills even though you have exact change at places such as 7-11 or S&P bakeries and I am sure there are other places that can not only be trusted to return your change but don't seem to mind cashing 1000 baht notes and have more than 1000 baht change on hand. But it is amazing how many shops don't even have 1000 baht in change in their till, tho most will tell you that and ask you to wait until thy get more change from next door. Taxis almost never change, so you just don't get in them unless you have a wad full of 20's, 50's 100's and coins. Something to that effect really needs to be in some kind of TAT warning to tourists if they really are sincerely regretting the 54% surge in tourist deaths and want to do something about it. It wouldn't surprise me if a few of the taxi driver kills or beats foreigner to a pulp incidents happen over this not having change routine.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

Yet another item that should be included in a yet to be conceived of pamphlet distributed at immigration counters at airports nationwide warning tourists upon entry to the fabled kingdom about what to do and not do in Thailand to avoid trouble. Suggestion to tourists would be to make sure to change large bills at 7-11's and other franchises that hold their employees to more familiar international standards such as the notion that there is an obligation to return change to customers. It happens to me occasionally that merchants don't return my change. Usually markets, taxis or bars in my experience, bars being by far the worst because you never know some do and some don't taxis at least you can count on to not being open to changing large bills. There was a supermarket in my neighborhood in Bangkok that would list satang on their prices but refuse to accept or return satang in change. Again, its the notion that you as a customer are second to the shop and their workers in the pecking order and are open season. Punch them for their transgressions and you are asking to die, so better to take pre-emptive action and have change and be prepared to control your sense of indignation and outrage, you are entitled to nothing as a paying customer, not even the goods you've paid for let alone anything resembling service.

It's a good idea to get in the habit of trying to cash your 1000 baht bills even though you have exact change at places such as 7-11 or S&P bakeries and I am sure there are other places that can not only be trusted to return your change but don't seem to mind cashing 1000 baht notes and have more than 1000 baht change on hand. But it is amazing how many shops don't even have 1000 baht in change in their till, tho most will tell you that and ask you to wait until thy get more change from next door. Taxis almost never change, so you just don't get in them unless you have a wad full of 20's, 50's 100's and coins. Something to that effect really needs to be in some kind of TAT warning to tourists if they really are sincerely regretting the 54% surge in tourist deaths and want to do something about it. It wouldn't surprise me if a few of the taxi driver kills or beats foreigner to a pulp incidents happen over this not having change routine.

In true Phuket style, I can see the signs go up in shops, "10 baht for change 1000 baht." biggrin.png

Very stupid of him to punch no doubt. this ain't Russia.

and nothing will happen to the fish vendor, nothing ever happened to any one of those who have injured foreigners in the past.

and still the tourists will keep on coming, no news has ever stopped them in the past. This is the fact.

Very stupid of him to punch no doubt. this ain't Russia.

and nothing will happen to the fish vendor, nothing ever happened to any one of those who have injured foreigners in the past.

and still the tourists will keep on coming, no news has ever stopped them in the past. This is the fact.

But those tourists that will keep coming will only be Chinese tourists, on package holidays, and they will be led around to big businesses that will be Chinese owned, and kept away from small Thai owned businesses, to prevent this type of thing happening to them.

Then, Mr.Fish Vendor will wonder why he has no customers.

Problem is too often we only read the thai side explanation of the story...Flying knifes and that sort of stuff.5555

If you would ask the Russian customer what has actually happened he will probably say i complained about no return of my change and as a response i was stabbed twice with a sharp fish knife in my face by the fish sales person..

Anyway 500 BHT fine will serve the justice here once again Yawn..