Chao Phraya murder case highlights potential link between crime and visa overstays

webfact

All over-stayers are criminals by definition. Anyone doing it without a medical reason and for more than a few days should be banned for 10 years, they are just taking the piss.

I would bet a lot that on a daily basis you break and bend laws in Thailand that are much worse than overstaying.

Edited by KunMatt

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point but the hotels report guests' names and passport numbers. The police (or immigration officials??) then check this info in the computer system. They know when you arrived, on what visa you entered the Kingdom and how long your visa is valid for.

The system doesn't give immigration officers info in real time. For a start the hotel has 24 hours to make the report in which time the guest could be long gone. The TM30 paper or online reports that hotels use, I believe, are only recorded in local databases which are not linked to the national system so it would take an IO to check the foreigner reported on the TM30 reports against the national database to confirm if they were on overstay. Given the time and man power required I doubt that happens. The reporting system is meant as a way to track where foreigners are staying and not geared up to catch out overstayers.

The online report that hotels use I believe is a national database (note this is if the hotel is using the online tool and not just dropping a paper TM30 off at the local immigration office).

As you said the hotel has 24 hours (from arrival, it doesn't have to be done every day you stay) to make the report so the guest could have checked out by the time the report is completed. All foreigners must be reported, not just the person whose name the reservation has been made under so you cannot make a booking under your Thai wife's name and not have to give your passport details.

The details reported online include:

- Name

- Date of birth

- Nationality

- Passport number

- TM7 number

- Entry date

- Place of entry (airport/checkpoint)

- Visa type (specifically 7/14/30/60/90/365, visitor/business/ED)

- Visa expiry date (automatically calculated from entry date and visa type

Not all of the fields have to be filled in but when the hotel signs up for the online system they do get an e-mail reminding them of the fines for not reporting or for accepting an overstayer.

This is hilarious, the crime rate is bad because of visa overstays ? shame on all these Thai's that murder their partners or are involved in organised crime, or allegedly all the officials that are involved in money laundering, land grabs illegal betting you bad bad people you are making investigators work so hard we cannot investigate our own people because the Farangs are keeping us so so busy investigating them.

So please do not commit any more illegal acts until we have rid ourselves of the over stayers, but please keep bringing in illegal workers who are smuggled in and treated like dirt to keep the economy going

Any overstay more than a couple of days is a complete

Disregard for the Laws of Thailand and complete disregard

For the Immigration system. These irresponsible people

Should be fined B50,000 and be banned from entering

Thailand for 5 years.....irresponsible lot of trash!!

Yes, and I bet you have never broken or bent any laws in Thailand ever, right?

Guess what I do not think I have in all my years of coming to Thailand because I treat the place like a second home and would not want a criminal record anywhere. The people I love and respect and in all my posts I have never badmouthed anyone (allegedly). Like all on here I have made my comments usually against corrupt officialdom and those that have used those same people to make money. Madpat

Guess what I do not think I have in all my years of coming to Thailand because I treat the place like a second home and would not want a criminal record anywhere. The people I love and respect and in all my posts I have never badmouthed anyone (allegedly). Like all on here I have made my comments usually against corrupt officialdom and those that have used those same people to make money. Madpat

Really? You've never sped? Never ridden a motorbike without a helmet? Always had insurance? Never supported a bar with prostitutes? Never murdered anyone and dumped their body in the klong?

Must be nice to be the first perfect person in Thailand, take a bow.

Really? You've never sped? Never ridden a motorbike without a helmet? Always had insurance? Never supported a bar with prostitutes? Never murdered anyone and dumped their body in the klong?

Must be nice to be the first perfect person in Thailand, take a bow.

Adding to that.

Never bought a beer outside of the official hours? Never jay walked (it is probably illegal).

Come on gents we all knowingly or unknowingly break laws even in our own countries. No one on this earth is an angel.

To the contrary, i would say the majority of folks on overstay are just plain skint rather than criminals.

one dead man and a killer with an overstay hardly a link makes

And, you purport to know the majority of overstayers? Anyone who gets "skint" here is the type of farang the Thais don't want. Why should they? Would you want a bunch of broke ne'er do wells in your house? If you have no money and friends or relative will not loan you any, you show little worth and may do anything to get money.

Overstaying your visa is a victimless crime and has been treated that way for years. the majority of people on overstay are without funds and living from day to day or month to month on a meager stipend. They do not steal or cause other problems for anyone. The real criminals are ones that comply with the Visa requirements and continue their criminal enterprise or have enough funds to get 'fixers' to handle their Visa issues. To those posters who want to expel over-stayers, jail them, or worse- you should try some human compassion. None of these people are bothering you and they have no affect on your lifestyle. You can see the real criminals everywhere- try looking- they are among you.

Raving criminals the lot who are on overstay here locking up is what they need far to soft a meagre 20000 baht fine a few years in prison is what they need after 20th March and framed for any crime that needs solving or jump that's the options .

Overstaying your visa is a victimless crime and has been treated that way for years. the majority of people on overstay are without funds and living from day to day or month to month on a meager stipend. They do not steal or cause other problems for anyone. The real criminals are ones that comply with the Visa requirements and continue their criminal enterprise or have enough funds to get 'fixers' to handle their Visa issues. To those posters who want to expel over-stayers, jail them, or worse- you should try some human compassion. None of these people are bothering you and they have no affect on your lifestyle. You can see the real criminals everywhere- try looking- they are among you.

What short-sighted horse manure. Victimless? All of us are now victims of the many overstayers; why do you think immigration is tightening the rules?

nice, but your opinion is not shared by the Thai lawmakers that made that law, but Im guessing that you concider them an irresponsible lot of trash as well

Edited by phycokiller

Their tightening of the rules on overstay will not affect anyone other than those who overstay. None of the other Visas or extensions have been tightened. If you are referring to questioning why someone resides on tourist visas- this has always been against the rules. This has nothing to do with over-stayers. Overstay is victim-less- the police simply have another tool to either blacklist someone or make 'arrangements' so they can stay. Most overstays are skint, just can't come up with money to extend or leave to get a new Visa. They are not criminals and do not engage in criminal activities. The actual foreign criminals are here on valid visas and extensions because their criminal enterprises fund them. You will find most of them in the tourist areas- they are visible- You will also find others 'working' behind closed doors.

Edited by Thaidream

What short-sighted horse manure. Victimless? All of us are now victims of the many overstayers; why do you think immigration is tightening the rules?

rules for others are good but god forbid rules for me. hope you enjoy being a victim now the shoe is on the other foot

There is a form that goes with TM30.It lists full name, nationality, passport number, TM6 number, port of entry and duration of stay. Only time I rented to non Thai Chonburi Immigration didn't know what to do with paperwork and sent me away with a flea in my ear because I didn't submit copies of blue book and chanote.

To the contrary, i would say the majority of folks on overstay are just plain skint rather than criminals.

one dead man and a killer with an overstay hardly a link makes

Ex friend of mine is on about 5 years overstay now and never seems to have a problem finding odd jobs. Still, I wouldn't wanna be in his shoes.

Over stayers are just people who have no money for visa runs.When get caught they will get deported.

There are no jobs in Thailand for foreigners with no visa stamps.

There is no link with overstayers and crime.

99% of crimes are Thais against foreigners but that not is important issue here.

Xenophobia rears its ugly head again. All we see in the media is negative news about foreigners living in Thailand. I strongly believe that some day in the future all but the elite foreigners, ones that are either doctors or experts in their field will be allowed to work here. The men in uniform dispise foreigners it seems to me. If they had their way we would be back in Kanchanaburi building bridges and railways in a prisoner of war camp.

Under the new rules, due to be enacted from 20 March onwards, people overstaying the terms of their visa may be banned from re-entering the Kingdom for between one and ten years, depending on the length of time they’ve overstayed and whether they have been arrested and duly prosecuted.

a step in the right direction and nothing other countries wouldn't do.

Up ro 3 pages already here of mostly tapdancing, rationalising, excuse making, deflecting, and even accusations of victimization and persecution of those poor, naughty-but-well-meaning-farangs who do a little harmless extra time here.

All visas have an expiry date clearly marked, and only a mentally handicapped person could fail to realize this is important and means something and ignore it....mentally handicapped OR CRIMINALS, and say, doesn't the very act of itself qualify you for one of those two designations?

IT'S ILLEGAL ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, FOR CHRISSAKE SAKE

Are hotels required to report any overstayers to immigration? I usually book a hotel under my wife's name and never show my passport to them. I'm not on overstay btw....just askin'.

Hotels are required to submit the particulars of all foreign guests. Not sure if Thais have to be reported too.

I am surprised that the hotels do not ask you for some form of ID.

I have written about this before. I often stay in four or five star hotels with my wife and not one has ever asked for my passport.